Reason 9.5.1. GUI "scrambling" or "pixelation"

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stevan

04 Sep 2017

I wrote about that problem before, but nobody reacted - so, next try :
after updating from a completely stable 9.5 to 9.5.1 I experience, after every reopening a new song, a problem.
For roundabout 300ms the GUI is totally pixelated, scrambled . After that everything is fine. I dont see that in 9.5. nor in every other app on my iMac 2011 3GHz 21.5" .
I reinstalled 9.5, the problem is gone, back to 9.5.1 - same pixelation ... do you guys working on it ?

Ahornberg

04 Sep 2017

I think you should contact PH about this issue.

stevan

04 Sep 2017

As I wrote above, no response ...

Ahornberg

04 Sep 2017

stevan wrote:
04 Sep 2017
As I wrote above, no response ...
write again

Loque

04 Sep 2017

Do you have HT support enabled? Due to Reason's GUI is CPU intensive, this might be an issue.
Reason12, Win10

stevan

04 Sep 2017

Yes, I checked all options , with or without HT etc. ... no difference
Thanx , maybe some of the PHS read it and have an idea ...

Ahornberg

04 Sep 2017

Maybe post a screenshot?

esefelipe

05 Sep 2017

I see this too, on a 2010 21.5" iMac.

AttenuationHz

02 Oct 2017

Reported a screen tearing issue when scrolling on the rack a while back on 9.5.1
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

GRIFTY

02 Oct 2017

sounds to me like a graphics driver problem!

AttenuationHz

02 Oct 2017

NO not at all never happened before and only has happened on the rack in reason with heavy projects. It happens in games but that's a vsync problem and fixable with the game config. The exact same tearing you would get in games and only on the rack. If it was a GPU issue it would happen when scrolling websites.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

samp

02 Oct 2017

stevan wrote:
04 Sep 2017
I wrote about that problem before, but nobody reacted - so, next try :
after updating from a completely stable 9.5 to 9.5.1 I experience, after every reopening a new song, a problem.
For roundabout 300ms the GUI is totally pixelated, scrambled . After that everything is fine. I dont see that in 9.5. nor in every other app on my iMac 2011 3GHz 21.5" .
I reinstalled 9.5, the problem is gone, back to 9.5.1 - same pixelation ... do you guys working on it ?
I have been having the same issue you describe. Had it in 9.5.1 and also on 9.5.2.
It happens right as reason loads. Everything looks scrambled for a few seconds but everything is fine as soon as reason completely loads up. I am on osx 10.12 . imac 2009. This never happened prior to 9.5.1.

parma

02 Oct 2017

I see this intermittently as well. Can't always reproduce it but it has happened several times.

Mac Pro 10.11.6

GRIFTY

03 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
02 Oct 2017
It happens in games but ..............The exact same tearing you would get in games.........
It's a video driver/video card problem

AttenuationHz

03 Oct 2017

GRIFTY wrote:
03 Oct 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
02 Oct 2017
It happens in games but ..............The exact same tearing you would get in games.........
It's a video driver/video card problem
No, big no! Please don't break my quotes up and take them out of context!

Screen tearing is caused by the monitor. If your GPU is rendering faster or slower than your monitors refresh rate it does not matter**. If your frames per second is not a multiple of 1 divided by x to your monitor refresh rate you will get tearing.
In the case of Reason it occurs because when scrolling the rack causes frames being rendered to drop when the project file has heavy resources already allocated it has little to spare for rendering so causes the rack to tear because there are not enough frames being sent to render to the GPU. In this case its a Reason engine issue and not a GPU or monitor issue!

**This is what vsync does locks frames being rendered to the monitor refresh rate, in my case 59.9Hz, but: because reasons engine does not allow you to sync the GUI to your monitor or even use your GPU to render the GUI's for any VST's or RE's which use a lot of resources to render their GUI's that is what the issue is. Reason will tell the RE or VST to stop using so many resources when it is needed else where i.e. drops the refresh rate to render their GUI's causing latency for heavy processing GUI's e.g. Synapse GQ-7, Blue Cat's FreqAnalyst Multi, Serum, Many more... Reason Engine issue!
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 03 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

GRIFTY

03 Oct 2017

i'm sorry dude but if your system is not capable of pushing 60 fps on a motionless, flat GUI to avoid screen tearing... you know what i'm going to tell you

AttenuationHz

03 Oct 2017

GRIFTY wrote:
03 Oct 2017
i'm sorry dude but if your system is not capable of pushing 60 fps on a motionless, flat GUI to avoid screen tearing... you know what i'm going to tell you
Reason is not capable of it. First off it uses OpenCL or GL to render all graphics secondly it does not use your GPU. This is the most important part it still uses the ancient at this stage rendering for GUI's that is scrolling the rack and all the animation surrounding cabling and it has to render high intensity GUI's that should be handled by your GPU. One exception to to this I think is FabFilter Pro Q it uses your GPU to render its GUI. Most rely on the hosts settings for rendering that is RE and VST's which is Reason and only capable of, iirc, 24fps.

I think you're just disagreeing for the sake of it now. But please feel free to give some insight into your arguing!

GRIFTY

03 Oct 2017

tbh i thought you were the OP. what he's having sounds like a driver problem. what you're having sounds like CPU/GPU too slow

AttenuationHz

03 Oct 2017

GRIFTY wrote:
03 Oct 2017
tbh i thought you were the OP. what he's having sounds like a driver problem. what you're having sounds like CPU/GPU too slow
Were you dropped on the head? Go back over my posts and read them or better yet get someone to read them to you!

GRIFTY

04 Oct 2017

yes yes your posts all say "wah, it's reason's fault my computer is too slow". nice rhetoric

AttenuationHz

04 Oct 2017

GRIFTY wrote:
04 Oct 2017
yes yes your posts all say "wah, it's reason's fault my computer is too slow". nice rhetoric
I didn't once mention my spec's so you're just speculating that my computer is not up to scratch. You're just making no point to escalate something, what's the problem? BTW thanks for the complement but I didn't lay any blame anywhere I'm merely stating fact! You obviously missed them because I didn't once mention my computer or the word slow which you are again miss-quoting me on. So which is it you're being a troll or just an ass or both?!

Have you got anything positive to add to the thread? NO! Move along so... I'm sure there is leaves somewhere that need kicking.

GRIFTY

04 Oct 2017

guy, all i did was offer my opinion on your issue. you need to loosen up

AttenuationHz

04 Oct 2017

GRIFTY wrote:
04 Oct 2017
guy, all i did was offer my opinion on your issue. you need to loosen up
What? You are kidding right? "Your opinion" consisting of
sounds to me like a graphics driver problem!
or
after I explained the cause and no I didn't know what you were going to tell me! Then your opinion shifts slightly as you try to back pedal
by far your best "opinion"
yes yes your posts all say "wah, it's reason's fault my computer is too slow"
I'm very loose thanks for your concern. Again, Have you got anything positive to add to the thread? Besides for lack of a better word your "opinion"
Its not to hard to be nice and I'm extremely accommodating!

challism

04 Oct 2017

Grifty & AttenuationHz:

Would you guys please stop going back and forth. Nothing productive is being accomplished by your bickering.

Thanks
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

stevan

04 Oct 2017

It's a graphic driver problem ? Why do I have that not with 9.5.0. ? Need R 9.5.1. and above more graphic power or so ?
That would be very bad, cause it means - no R10 for me ... :(

• Information