What's your GAS level since Reason 9.5?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

How much GAS have you had since VSTs were introduced? (GAS == Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

No increase - I'm happy with what I have
27%
Small increase in purchasing (maybe 1 or 2 VSTs) - just dabbling
37%
About 5 VSTs... I love Reason 9.5, but I'm keeping things under control
18%
Uh oh, about 10 new purchases. Gotta cut back on the lattes
8%
>20 VSTs installed. I've lost my mind :)
10%

Total votes: 51
groggy1

27 Aug 2017

GAS == Gear Acquisition Syndrome

dioxide

27 Aug 2017

What's a VST? I think I'm the only person removing REs since 9.5 came out. RE only for me, the VSTs were just for play not for music making.

Ahornberg

27 Aug 2017

GAS is a disease and can break out in buying VSTs or REs or even Eurorack modules :puf_bigsmile:

RoryM0

27 Aug 2017

More than 10, closer to 20. Not VSTs though... I've only just got into Reason with version 9.5 so it's all rack extensions. Fuuuuuuuuuu....

groggy1

27 Aug 2017

RoryM0 wrote:
27 Aug 2017
More than 10, closer to 20. Not VSTs though... I've only just got into Reason with version 9.5 so it's all rack extensions. Fuuuuuuuuuu....
Welcome to Reason... Hope you're having fun!

Oquasec

27 Aug 2017

Uhe zebra was the vst I bought in a whole 3 years : /
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

vondersulzburg

27 Aug 2017

Only RE's. I have all VST's I need. (Dune2, Kontakt, Reaktor)
MacBook Air 512GB SSD 16GB RAM, Reason 11 Suite, LogicProX, FL-Studio, Live10Suite

kitekrazy

28 Aug 2017

Reason is not my first DAW but I've acquired at LEAST 10 more VSTs from IK group buy, Plugin Alliance vouchers (BTW subscribe to their newsletter). I still buy those old Sonic refills when they are $5. I buy from the Loop Loft and get both Wav and Rex. My Refill packer has gotten more use lately than Reason.

For those new to VSTs, let the madness begin. You will acquire more than you will ever need and forget what you have. I'm happy the RE's were often overpriced for me. Really hate that there is a sale and some recommendations on this are for RE synths under $20.

BTW if one has Reaktor and learns to master it you'd be surprised how much your GAS will go away. The same could be said with Omnisphere.

kitekrazy

28 Aug 2017

vondersulzburg wrote:
27 Aug 2017
Only RE's. I have all VST's I need. (Dune2, Kontakt, Reaktor)
There are a lot of great sounds in Kontakt once you really explore it. The choirs are great.

RandyEspoda

28 Aug 2017

Tried many dozens of free vst's, just to get down with it.
Then deleted about 95% of them because they were crap.

Then bought about 5 of them, all top notch though (Waves, iZotope), and all on sale because : insane prices.

Now already turning back mostly towards the RE's in the rack, and in the shop, because : a lot more fun.
Except the stuff from iZotope and Waves I bought, which I use very often, little vst's are actually being used.
Again because : less fun.

Yesterday I bought the Synapse DR1, Noxious, Titus BBD, and within a few days I'll go for Antidote too, because (and I already said this): more fun.
Also because: insane prices, but in a good way.

When it stops being fun, buy an RE or grab the barrel of a gun.

CaliforniaBurrito

28 Aug 2017

I think I'm doing ok considering I'm being pretty selective with different tools rather than just buying hot topic items. I want to buy the SoundToys 5 Bundle and Kazrog KClip next month and then I'll be all set. So my number will be 10. I'm not paying full price for anything though. Diva was bought off a discount plug site, other plugs bought from KVR marketplace and Ozone 7 Advanced was actually an upgrade from Ozone 5 standard. :)

U-He Diva
Eventide Blackhole
ISM Bazzism
Waves J37
D16 Lush 101
D16 Toraverb
D16 Redopter
Ozone 7 Advanced

This isn't a thread about RE's (FYI :roll: :lol: ) but I'd like to pick up a few sale items - Synapse DR-1, Propulsion and Faturator. I have a lot of RE's that I'm pretty happy with. I definitely won't be bringing in compression and eq plugs into the rack because I'm all set with RE's which I think is great for keeping a solid workflow. Can't beat the Softube FET and RE-2A combo! :clap:

Oquasec

28 Aug 2017

Pretty much. Re user over vst for everything.
There was rewire for vst support. But it is still nice, not NEEDING A SECOND UNBUNDLED DAW TO USE UHE ZEBRA.

God damn. lol
Producer/Programmer.

kitekrazy

28 Aug 2017

RandyEspoda wrote:
28 Aug 2017
Tried many dozens of free vst's, just to get down with it.
Then deleted about 95% of them because they were crap.

Then bought about 5 of them, all top notch though (Waves, iZotope), and all on sale because : insane prices.

Now already turning back mostly towards the RE's in the rack, and in the shop, because : a lot more fun.
Except the stuff from iZotope and Waves I bought, which I use very often, little vst's are actually being used.
Again because : less fun.

Yesterday I bought the Synapse DR1, Noxious, Titus BBD, and within a few days I'll go for Antidote too, because (and I already said this): more fun.
Also because: insane prices, but in a good way.

When it stops being fun, buy an RE or grab the barrel of a gun.
Sometimes free VSTs can be buggy. I rarely install free ones anymore. After over 600 VSTs i need to use the ones I bought. I have some Waves, IK, Melda plugins I've barely opened.

Hauser+Quaid

28 Aug 2017

RoryM0 wrote:
27 Aug 2017
Same.

I did buy one VST that had nothing to do w 9.5, I just finally had the spare cash & thought it would help, which it has.

Oquasec

28 Aug 2017

More plugins to use = More plugins to learn inside and out.
To be used as effectively as possible. :lightbulb: :cool:

Gas won't do you much good if you don't have a firm grasp on what you got in the first place, and there is no such thing as gas if you actually KNOW what you got :]
Producer/Programmer.

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2017

20? Man I've got WAY more than 20. I use them all for certain things when I need them. It's not about labeling it as some syndrome. You get tools that do unique or particular things and use them as you see fit.

GAS is when you think that buying new gear/plugins is going to magically make you a better producer. Big difference than just owning a wide variety of VST/RE

MikeMcKew

28 Aug 2017

As others have said, my purchases have been mostly REs since VST support was added -- a bit counter-intuitive, for sure. Personally, I've used Pro Tools as my main DAW for years, so I already had the collection of VSTs in place when support was added. You can imagine how happy I was to hear it!

And since VST support was added, I've spent a lot more time in Reason, which gravitated me back to the RE format because I like things directly on the rack and the CPU usage is noticeably less in a lot of cases. Tricky Propellerhead!

Oquasec

29 Aug 2017

As a guy with bout 100+ rack extensions [including the freebies and built in rack devices]
...Naturally I wouldn't be using many vsts to begin with since Reason is the bigass plugin like Reaktor.
Last edited by Oquasec on 29 Aug 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.

dvdrtldg

29 Aug 2017

Much the same as usual, i.e. pretty bad

esefelipe

29 Aug 2017

The Waves daily deals are KILLING me.

PSoames

29 Aug 2017

Does Komplete count as one?

For a long time now, I've known that drums and percussion in my work has been weak and after some initial ambivalence toward VSTs, tried and liked Maschine. Ended up with a Maschine Studio, Jam and Komplete as part of NI summer sale thing.

My GAS has been sated - for a few more weeks yet anyway.

motuscott

29 Aug 2017

I have real gas, not related to SW, more like digestive issues, does anyone have an app for this?
I'm running Turd v.30
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Catblack

29 Aug 2017

I've bought a lot of REs since VST support. I'm finding that I use them more.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

PSoames

29 Aug 2017

motuscott wrote:
29 Aug 2017
I have real gas, not related to SW, more like digestive issues, does anyone have an app for this?
I'm running Turd v.30
Have you considered a Wind instrument? Double reed would reduce the penetration factor if you're worried about maintaining a comfortable anus.

Alternatively, go brass. However, ensure you keep a tight embouchure. One slip there and not even the water-key is going to help keep your bell clear.

scratchnsnifff

29 Aug 2017

Xfer serum
Izotope iris2
Dune2
Waves codex
Synthmaster 2.8
Synthmaster one
Waves/infected mushroom pusher
Izotope trash 2

Freebies
Xfer OTT and dimension expander
Meldaproductions effects, the free bundle
A cross grade for all of uhbik (got the reverb delay and EQ for free for having 6 uhbik REs)

My next venture is explorer4 by rob papen just to support his amazing work. I'm a big fan of his work so even though I'm covered with all of his REs coupled with serum and my other units, I still feel the urge to get the vst predator and the other goodies :D
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

• Information