WAV from CD into Reason 9.5 question!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Marina

24 Aug 2017

Hi All,

Just a quick question- ( am a bit new to Reason) I need to download some backing tracks/ WAV files into Reason 9.5 sequencer to do a vocal demo. I have found a company that supplies backing track WAV files on CD. I want to do 3 short parts of tracks one fading into another. I need advice please on how I would take the WAV files from a CD and add/ use these in the sequencer? ( I have previously inserted stuff from my windows ' realtime' media player - eg> exported tracks from reason on to desktop and then dragged them back into the sequencer to master them- but am unsure how to do this from CDs and if it actually works?

Thanks all. :-)

Natalie

DinoJ

24 Aug 2017

Hi Natalie,

Have not tried it and am not at home on my computer to try, but would assume if they supply you the files as Wav files but on a CD then you would just drag and drop from browser into sequencer as you would if you doing it from desktop or any other wav/sample file or folder on your computer. You would just instead browse your CD/DVD drive for the files.

However if they have burned the files onto an actual audio CD, like an album, then you would need to rip them into a readable file format.

Hope this makes sense,

DinoJ

Marina

24 Aug 2017

Hi Dino,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Yes, I think maybe dragging them into the reader meaning where you would burn a CD ? makes sense. I am wondering if I could test it with a ' normal' CD initially. but I don't suppose they are WAV files. I am hesitant to buy them in case its not the right thing. However, they do sell track as MP3's. but I understand you can't load MP3's into the Reason Sequencer. .. I guess I should buy one track on a CD and see if it works! as I can;t seem to find another decent backing track library that has WAV to load only.

Natalie

DinoJ wrote:
24 Aug 2017
Hi Natalie,

Have not tried it and am not at home on my computer to try, but would assume if they supply you the files as Wav files but on a CD then you would just drag and drop from browser into sequencer as you would if you doing it from desktop or any other wav/sample file or folder on your computer. You would just instead browse your CD/DVD drive for the files.

However if they have burned the files onto an actual audio CD, like an album, then you would need to rip them into a readable file format.

Hope this makes sense,

DinoJ

Southgate

24 Aug 2017

You can load mp3s directly into Reason I believe since Reason 8 - 9

😃

DinoJ

24 Aug 2017

No problem, this one of the few things I can help with, so happy to help! Anything with regards advanced reason features, building crazy combinators or advanced music production tips, then no, am still a newb and come here to learn all that myself! :lol:

Ok, it sounds like from your original post, that they will provide you the Wavs but on a CD? This bit is important as it will determine how you would deal with the CD they give you, if they literally mean they will burn the Wav files onto a Data CD and send it to you, then you are gonna be fine. As you would literally use Reasons browser (assuming you using R8 ir R9?) to browse to your CD/DVD drive and drag and drop the files from the Reason browser into your sequencer, as you would anything else (instruments, effect, samples etc) in these versions of Reason.

However, if they burn the disc as an audio CD, then this would be a different story. This would require you to use another program to convert the audio to a wav file, then you would be able to load it into reason as you would any sample. If you were to try using a normal CD (assuming you mean audio CD or album) then you would see what I mean I think.

As for loading MP3 into Reason, I think you can actually. Was going to say I never tried but I seem to recall a friend of mine, loaded one of my tracks I had exported into an MP3 into his Reason, so he could come up with a piano melody for me and I had not brought the Reason file round to his, only the MP3. Could be wrong though!

Edit: Thanks for confirming this Southgate

Sorry if this reply not cleared anything up, am at work and it a bit crazier than normal today and am constantly told I am typical man by my female colleagues (specifically I am rubbish at multi-tasking apparently lol).
Last edited by DinoJ on 24 Aug 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Marina

24 Aug 2017

I am using Reason 9.5. They also mainly supply MP3's so happy days if I can just drag and drop an MP3 into the sequencer and it appears as an audio track lane? :lightbulb:
Southgate wrote:
24 Aug 2017

😃

Marina

24 Aug 2017

Hi, Thanks for the advice.

I have hope that Reason 9.5 which I'm using will allow me to drag and drop an MP3. The library mainly sells MP3. I was only going to use the CD as I read I could not download Mp3's into reason. Great news if this works. I will get a file, load it into audacity - covert it into an mp3, save it on to desktop then try and drag it into reason before I make any purchase's! If not then will go the CD route as you say below.

PS- I know what you mean re: building crazy combinators - I would not even attempt it at my level and the tab button back of rack thing scares me right now.!!
DinoJ wrote:
24 Aug 2017
No problem, this one of the few things I can help with, so happy to help! Anything with regards advanced reason features, building crazy combinators or advanced music production tips, then no, am still a newb and come here to learn all that myself! :lol:

Ok, it sounds like from your original post, that they will provide you the Wavs but on a CD? This bit is important as it will determine how you would deal with the CD they give you, if they literally mean they will burn the Wav files onto a Data CD and send it to you, then you are gonna be fine. As you would literally use Reasons browser (assuming you using R8 ir R9?) to browse to your CD/DVD drive and drag and drop the files from the Reason browser into your sequencer, as you would anything else (instruments, effect, samples etc) in these versions of Reason.

However, if they burn the disc as an audio CD, then this would be a different story. This would require you to use another program to convert the audio to a wav file, then you would be able to load it into reason as you would any sample. If you were to try using a normal CD (assuming you mean audio CD or album) then you would see what I mean I think.

As for loading MP3 into Reason, I think you can actually. Was going to say I never tried but I seem to recall a friend of mine, loaded one of my tracks I had exported into an MP3 into his Reason, so he could come up with a piano melody for me and I had not brought the Reason file round to his, only the MP3. Could be wrong though!

Edit: Thanks for confirming this Southgate

Sorry if this reply not cleared anything up, am at work and it a bit crazier than normal today and am constantly told I am typical man by my female colleagues (specifically I am rubbish at multi-tasking apparently lol).

Marina

24 Aug 2017

Thanks Southgate. :-)
Southgate wrote:
24 Aug 2017

😃

Marina

24 Aug 2017

Marina wrote:
24 Aug 2017
or this I guess.

•Simply drag and drop the mp3 you want to use into Audacity and then export the track back out as an AIFF or WAV.

Bit of a long way round because by the time it gets into reason it wild be 3rd generation

Southgate wrote:
24 Aug 2017

😃

EnochLight

25 Aug 2017

Marina wrote:
24 Aug 2017
Marina wrote:
24 Aug 2017
or this I guess.

•Simply drag and drop the mp3 you want to use into Audacity and then export the track back out as an AIFF or WAV.

Bit of a long way round because by the time it gets into reason it wild be 3rd generation
Wav/AIFF are lossless file formats for the most part, so converting from MP3 to Wav/AIFF will create no noticeable loss in sound quality. In fact, when you import an MP3 into Reason, it's converted for you so you can work with it in Reason.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Jagwah

26 Aug 2017

^^ What EnochLight said.

If the files on the CD appear to be read only, then 'CDEX' will extract them and bounce them to .WAV for you (as long as that's set in preferences. Been using CDEX for years, actually comes in handy for scratched CDs, and making digital copys of my CDs. It's the only program I'm aware of that will do it. Good luck and welcome!

http://cdex.mu/

Jagwah

26 Aug 2017

Jagwah wrote:
26 Aug 2017
^^ What EnochLight said.

If the files on the CD appear to be read only, then 'CDEX' will extract them and bounce them to .WAV for you (as long as that's set in preferences). Been using CDEX for years, actually comes in handy for scratched CDs, and making digital copys of my CDs. It's the only program I'm aware of that will do it. Good luck and welcome!

Jagwah

26 Aug 2017

^^ What EnochLight said.

If the files on the CD appear to be read only, then 'CDEX' will extract them and bounce them to .WAV for you (as long as that's set in preferences). Been using CDEX for years, actually comes in handy for scratched CDs, and making digital copys of my CDs. It's the only program I'm aware of that will do it. Good luck and welcome!

• Information