Need Kong Update Please

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
holocule

20 Aug 2017

Hi, would it be possible to get the Kong Drum Designer updated to have 16 audio inputs to the pads? it would be very useful to accommodate the now available vst sample engines such as Battery and Geist... or Kontakt... be awesome to be able to link them to kong... thanks

Ahornberg

20 Aug 2017

Kong doesn't have audio inputs on the pads at all. And it would not make sense to add them because the pads can be routed to the internal instrument section in a highly flexible way. If you want to combine your sound sources coming from VSTs with sounds coming out of Kong, just use one or more mixers in the rack.

stxlm

20 Aug 2017

Link how? What would that accomplish? You know you can sample in Kong yeah? Or you can trigger other stuff from the pads.

Goriila Texas

20 Aug 2017

Everything in Reason needs at least 16 Stereo channels instead of 8 stereo outs. I hate the fact the vst instrument doesn't have 16 stereo channels out!!!

selig
RE Developer

20 Aug 2017

Goriila Texas wrote:
20 Aug 2017
Everything in Reason needs at least 16 Stereo channels instead of 8 stereo outs. I hate the fact the vst instrument doesn't have 16 stereo channels out!!!
Totally agree - seems like an odd oversight IMO (in both cases).

Hopefully it's something they will address in the future.
(but not holding my breath)
Selig Audio, LLC

EdGrip

20 Aug 2017

It's also really irritating that there's no quick way to tell Kong that you want to give each pad its own output; when you load a Kong kit, unless it's one you've previously saved, it's the stereo master output. If you want pads-to-outputs, you have to sit there and do it manually for each pad. I've saved a "Kong audition" mix channel in my default template just because of this. It's surely such a common use-case that it should just be a switch on the front (or back) of the device.
ANYWAY.

Ahornberg

20 Aug 2017

EdGrip wrote:
20 Aug 2017
It's also really irritating that there's no quick way to tell Kong that you want to give each pad its own output; when you load a Kong kit, unless it's one you've previously saved, it's the stereo master output. If you want pads-to-outputs, you have to sit there and do it manually for each pad. I've saved a "Kong audition" mix channel in my default template just because of this. It's surely such a common use-case that it should just be a switch on the front (or back) of the device.
ANYWAY.
Yes, that's true ... but there's also no easy way to connect 16 outputs to 16 mixer channels. You have to route them one by one.

Personally I do not tend to route every drum sound to a different mixer channel. And comparing Kong to the drum synths in Ableton and Bitwig I would say Kong is more easy to use because it does not give me 16 additional mixer channels by default, even when I only use 3 or 5 sounds out of a drumset.

EdGrip

21 Aug 2017

Yeah, tbf my default only has 4 drum channels connected to a Kong (with a Redrum connected to that for quick sequencing.)

ejanuska

21 Aug 2017

selig wrote:
20 Aug 2017
Goriila Texas wrote:
20 Aug 2017

Are you serious? Everything needs 16 stereo outputs?
Please enlighten me on what use that would be. I'm not being sarcastic, just wondering what unknown secret techniques it is that requires that many outputs from a instrument of effect.

Ahornberg

21 Aug 2017

ejanuska wrote:
21 Aug 2017
selig wrote:
20 Aug 2017

Please enlighten me on what use that would be. I'm not being sarcastic, just wondering what unknown secret techniques it is that requires that many outputs from a instrument of effect.
Sometimes I wish they hadn't added VST support ... :roll:

AttenuationHz

21 Aug 2017

You can very easily turn the 8 stereo outs into 16 just pan each sample to left or right channels respectively. Make it dual mono, route it to a spider duplicating output 1 route that to a 6:2 separate channels use pan again on a 6:2 mixer to make it stereo.

I would love to be able to automate every control on Kong.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Creativemind

21 Aug 2017

EdGrip wrote:
20 Aug 2017
ANYWAY.
Are you talking about an "Auto Subgroup" Button? as this is something I've wanted to see for both Kong and the Redrum for ages. Automatically route all pads to it's own mix channel, pan accordingly and also select the right channels for each in the drum output section.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

21 Aug 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
21 Aug 2017
You can very easily turn the 8 stereo outs into 16 just pan each sample to left or right channels respectively. Make it dual mono, route it to a spider duplicating output 1 route that to a 6:2 separate channels use pan again on a 6:2 mixer to make it stereo.

I would love to be able to automate every control on Kong.
This is the way I was shown at college. You connect pads 1 and 2 to 2 mix channels for instance, pan one left and one right (in the Kong. To the left of the pads in the pic) Imageand select Main Output L/R for each of those pads. I made a video on it for anyone that's interested. It's not the best video tutorial in the world but someone gotta do it lol!

:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

ejanuska

21 Aug 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
21 Aug 2017
ejanuska wrote:
21 Aug 2017

What does that have to do with the question?

Ahornberg

22 Aug 2017

ejanuska wrote:
21 Aug 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
21 Aug 2017

If we hadn't VST support in Reason, the initial question hadn't been asked:
holocule wrote:
20 Aug 2017
Hi, would it be possible to get the Kong Drum Designer updated to have 16 audio inputs to the pads? it would be very useful to accommodate the now available vst sample engines such as Battery and Geist... or Kontakt... be awesome to be able to link them to kong... thanks
:puf_wink:

ejanuska

23 Aug 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
22 Aug 2017
ejanuska wrote:
21 Aug 2017

holocule wrote:
20 Aug 2017
The question about why you would need 16 outputs on a device. That is the question I'm talking about.

Ahornberg

23 Aug 2017

ejanuska wrote:
23 Aug 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
22 Aug 2017

The question about why you would need 16 outputs on a device. That is the question I'm talking about.
Wasn't it about giving Kong 16 audio inputs to connect VSTs? Maybe I'm wrong :roll:

demt

24 Aug 2017

"Wasn't it about giving Kong 16 audio inputs to connect VSTs? Maybe I'm wrong "
severall hardware controllers are designed about 16 pads and increments of 32 64 or 8 see novation launchpad series machine ableton push and sequencers in general seem to like that n.o. when using the drums i find it inspiring to uase all 16 channells before whitteling it down a bit.Sum of the tricks that can be achieved deserve to stand alone as a tune(exemplery) when using that n.o. see nieve definately a genre to beat most.
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Goriila Texas

25 Aug 2017

ejanuska wrote:
21 Aug 2017
selig wrote:
20 Aug 2017

If Kong for example had 16 channels we wouldn't have to do work arounds for routing. Same thing for vsti's like Maschine. Only having 8 stereo channels forces users to use mono channels if they want to put each sound on its own mixer channel.

• Information