Is Recycle Worth $99, if I have Reason 9?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jjkjjk

17 Aug 2017

Thoughts?

QVprod

17 Aug 2017

The main thing Recycle has over Reason is that it stores tempo information within the Rex file so that a created Rex loop will follow tempo changes. Other than that, Reason's time stretch does everything else.

joeyluck

17 Aug 2017

ReCycle has that handy sensitivity slider. I hope they integrate that into Reason soon.

I think they should fully integrate ReCycle into Reason, keep selling ReCycle separately, but then also offer cross-grades to Reason from ReCycle.

etyrnal

17 Aug 2017

NO

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Oquasec

17 Aug 2017

They threw recycle out the windows when reason 5 came out.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

adfielding

18 Aug 2017

I've had plenty of use out of Recycle over the years (particularly in the pre-Record days - was a great way of working with audio in Reason), and I'm very happy with my purchase... but I use it very rarely nowadays. I've totally had my money's worth out of it over the years, but my current attachment to it is probably more sentimental than anything else.
joeyluck wrote:
17 Aug 2017
I think they should fully integrate ReCycle into Reason
Yeah, at this point I absolutely agree. I mean, most of the functionality is already in Reason - stick the sensitivity slider in and you've pretty much got Recycle in Reason already.

At the end of the day it really only does one thing. Whether that one thing is worth $99 is entirely up to you, I guess.

EdGrip

18 Aug 2017

The fact that PH haven't fully integrated all of ReCycle's functionality into Reason annoys me. Other DAWs have a sensitivity slider. Reason should - it's that kind of DAW for that kind of music. It feels like PH are deliberately crippling Reason's native slice and REX tools in the hope that people who do a lot of that will have to buy ReCycle, a comparatively old and unloved piece of software.
There's nothing to stop them from continuing to sell ReCycle alongside Reason as a REX utility for people using other DAWs, but it would mean Reason had an ace up its sleeve for attracting new users.

I also think if they sold ReCycle considerably cheaper, considerably more people would buy it and they'd ultimately make more money from it.
Frankly everything to do with PH's strategy around ReCycle baffles me, and seems like them cutting off their nose to spite their face, but they know more than I do.

CaliforniaBurrito

18 Aug 2017

No. I sold my license for $50 a while ago.

plaamook

18 Aug 2017

Hard to say but PM me if you want mine for £20. I dont really use it, not even the integrated one, as I don't really work with beats anymore. Def got my money's worth out of it when I did though.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

miscend

18 Aug 2017

I don't think Recycle is worth the price of admission for the very simple tool it is now.

If I were them I would have evolved Recycle into a general purpose audio editor whilst still keeping all the Rex functionality. That would make it an interesting complement to Reason.

kuhliloach

18 Aug 2017

Simple cash grab from Props for a ancient technology that is mostly now within Reason, with the most important exception being the sensitivity slider that Reason doesn't have yet. Failing to have this full functionality in Reason 9.5, in 2017, means Props would rather beat a dead horse (your wallet) than write any code.

pushedbutton

18 Aug 2017

If you want to process a lot of samples and make rex files recycle might be worth getting.
If you don't know what it does and have no intention of making custom rex libraries there's not much point to it any more.
Considering all the other ways you can manipulate audio samples learning this technique can easily be overlooked without feeling like you're missing out on much.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

adfielding

18 Aug 2017

miscend wrote:
18 Aug 2017
If I were them I would have evolved Recycle into a general purpose audio editor whilst still keeping all the Rex functionality. That would make it an interesting complement to Reason.
A dedicated sample editor made by the Props to complement Reason would be fantastic, though I'm not holding my breath on that one :)

Gorgon

18 Aug 2017

kuhliloach wrote:
18 Aug 2017
Simple cash grab from Props for a ancient technology that is mostly now within Reason, with the most important exception being the sensitivity slider that Reason doesn't have yet.
I'd say that the sensitivity slider (among other things) is being left out on purpose.

So Recycle is basically a 99 dollar rack extension now, with very basic functionality which is available in other daws for free.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

EdGrip

18 Aug 2017

Out of interest, is there a better tool for rex creation out there?

demt

18 Aug 2017

Just wondering as reason still holds on to the crash proof DAW reputation
Could be why they hold back on sum innovation.probably a successful mindset their probably going to sit back and recover that reputation after vets sort themselves out in a crash proof manor
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

tumar

18 Aug 2017

I have ReCycle but didn't use it since I can make rex loop within Reason. I didn't even install ReCycle on my new computer, so no, it's not worth to take it for 99. Check second-hand market.

GRIFTY

18 Aug 2017

I haven't used recycle in over a year. it's frankly easier to sample directly into kong and edit slices individually

pushedbutton

18 Aug 2017

EdGrip wrote:
18 Aug 2017
Other than Reason? No.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2017

EdGrip wrote:
18 Aug 2017
It is the only tool for REX creation - other programs slice but only Recycle can make and export REX files.

Grum.

EdGrip

19 Aug 2017

I see. So it's the ONLY option if you want to go into making beats and loops packs commercially (which is a big industry). That goes some way to explaining its price, and the decision to keep its powers (especially tempo data) out of Reason.
Not that it's a good decision, just that it makes a little bit more sense.

Maybe the thing to do would be to write it in to Reason (sensitivity slider, tempo data) with the option to pay a bit more up front to unlock it, or pay to unlock it later if you need it. Along with selling ReCycle standalone.

etyrnal

19 Aug 2017

miscend wrote:I don't think Recycle is worth the price of admission for the very simple tool it is now.

Now there's an interesting idea. An audio editor down to the sample level. Kind of like bias Peak was. It would be interesting if similarly to Peak it had the ability to load you are rack extensions and vsts to work with the audio as well.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Goriila Texas

20 Aug 2017

Sensitivity slider and tempo data are very important to those that use samples or loops. People saying it's not worth it must not understand the true power of having tempo data in Rex loops that follow the tempo. Propellerhead knew what they were doing leaving these things out.

EdGrip

20 Aug 2017

What people mean when they say it's not worth it is, $179 is a lot of money for a sensitivity slider and the ability to detect and embed tempo data - the latter of which is a glaring hole in Reason's capabilities as a DAW. If PH are keeping those powers out in order to maintain a USP for ReCycle, they really are making a poor decision however you look at it.

Anyone who's tried to work with samples and breaks in Reason knows that it's a bit of a mess in terms of finding tempo, cutting to tempo, and generally making a rex loop do what you want it to do. You want to edit a sample and tell Reason, "See this sample? This is two bars, okay? Make it into a 2 bar .rex file." But no.

jjkjjk

20 Aug 2017

Took the plunge - I've wasted money on worse

• Information