Is Recycle Worth $99, if I have Reason 9?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Oquasec

20 Aug 2017

If I already have slicex, would I benefit from getting recycle?
Cuz at that point, it seems like it doesn't make sense since kongs in a combi was enough.
Then I already own slicex standalone for years : /

But if you don't have anything else already, and really want to use recycle for that then gooooo get it.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EpiGenetik

21 Aug 2017

Grumbleweed wrote:
19 Aug 2017
EdGrip wrote:
18 Aug 2017
Out of interest, is there a better tool for rex creation out there?
It is the only tool for REX creation - other programs slice but only Recycle can make and export REX files.

Grum.
Fraid not good sir,

Reason does it these days as well. Grab any audio stem of about 2 bars or so and throw it into the sequencer, then go into it so that you can see the slicing take effect. Now right-click and in the Bounce sub-menu you will see "Bounce clip to REX loop". It'll now show up in the All Self Contained Samples directory, and from there you can send it out into the real world.

Hope your keeping well,

B

syncanonymous

21 Aug 2017

etyrnal wrote:
19 Aug 2017
miscend wrote: Now there's an interesting idea. An audio editor down to the sample level. Kind of like bias Peak was. It would be interesting if similarly to Peak it had the ability to load you are rack extensions and vsts to work with the audio as well.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
SawStudio zooms down to sample level in the soundfile view. Soundfile view in SAW is where you manipulate the actual audio file: set loop in/out points when creating regions/clips. It is also possible to destructively edit the sample amplitude in SAW soundfile view. It's very expensive and outdated...and my DAW of choice for mixing.

As far as Recycle goes, I, too, have gotten my money's worth...but then I remember being excited about Reason 1 launching. I use Recycle once every 3 months...but when I need it, I really need it. Editing slices within Reason is no fun at all IMO; much easier in Recycle. Reason zoom always gets on my nerves. Recycle zoom has its foibles, too. :-)
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

EdGrip

21 Aug 2017

You can zoom to sample level in Reason too, fwiw.

syncanonymous

22 Aug 2017

EdGrip wrote:
21 Aug 2017
You can zoom to sample level in Reason too, fwiw.
Really? I will give it a try today ...unless you are talking about samples in a sampler verses zooming down to the individual snapshots of whatever sample rate your audio has been recorded at; which is what I am typing about:-)
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD

EdGrip

22 Aug 2017

No, you can totally zoom until the waveform is just a crazy staircase of samples.

Gorgon

22 Aug 2017

EdGrip wrote:
20 Aug 2017
Anyone who's tried to work with samples and breaks in Reason knows that it's a bit of a mess in terms of finding tempo, cutting to tempo, and generally making a rex loop do what you want it to do. You want to edit a sample and tell Reason, "See this sample? This is two bars, okay? Make it into a 2 bar .rex file." But no.
Well, you can do that using the timestretch function, snap it to the bar, then make a Rex loop out of it. But still, the absence of sensitivity sliders is ridiculous. It's a cash grab, that's all, because if they add that to Reason, there is no reason anymore to buy Recycle if you already own Reason.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

michal22

22 Aug 2017

Gorgon wrote:
22 Aug 2017
the absence of sensitivity sliders is ridiculous. It's a cash grab, that's all, because if they add that to Reason, there is no reason anymore to buy Recycle if you already own Reason.
I think the same. :puf_smile:
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

Oquasec

22 Aug 2017

For the price of recycle you might as well skip that and get yourself a copy of Cubase man :/
What the hell is that price
Producer/Programmer.

avasopht
Competition Winner

22 Aug 2017

I think it's very much a case of, if you really need the functions of Recycle the $200 price tag will mean very little to you.

syncanonymous

22 Aug 2017

Ok, so this thread sent me on a little journey this evening that took a lot longer in Reason.
I recorded some percussion with a view to use in Octo Rex.

Usually, if I record audio to then edit down, I won't use Reason. I set up SAWSTUDIO and I can fly. Well, because of this discussion, I decided to just stay in Reason. Big mistake. The waveform zoom is just awful in Reason. 3 levels of amplitude zoom, ugh! It is essentially editing blind. Editing is much, much more cumbersome in Reason. The playhead moves all over the place which drives me nuts, I am forever mousescrolling waaaay out and then back in to "attempt" to re-center the wonky playhead that has a mind of its own. The keyboard shortcuts are to choose editing tools in Reason; in SAW, the keyboard shortcuts are the editing tools, if you know what you are doing, SAW is fast. The thing that blows my mind is why is there no way move playhead to region/clip boundary in Reason with a keyboard shortcut ? Oh well, I have complained about this before. The zoom, though, in Reason is very poor, it really slows the editing down. So, no, Reason is not capable of zooming down to edit at the sample level, far from it. I will post some images to show what I mean. I suppose I should show it with Reason, side by side though.

The thing Reason is good at is quick arrangement to bars and beats once things are edited properly.

Recycle, I know well, and once I exported my audio comps out of Reason, bang, quickly sliced up and exported out of Recycle as rex. I have tried moving slices around in the Reason sequencer before, and it's just a mess compared with Recycle.

Also, I want the audio rush in a format I can use in any program. Reason does some black magic with the recorded audio.

MusicianX

22 Aug 2017

GRIFTY wrote:
18 Aug 2017
I haven't used recycle in over a year. it's frankly easier to sample directly into kong and edit slices individually
Could you explain how you sample with kong? I have been trying to get a good workflow down when it comes to sampling in reason.

EdGrip

23 Aug 2017

To sample in Kong, select a pad, then select a NNano sampler as the sound source. Then you can just hit the sample record button on the NNano.

Try making that drum recording into a .rex within Reason, without using ReCycle. D:
I use the free version of Presonus Studio One for audio editing; it's just a better tool for the job. (I don't know if it's better than SAW - I've never heard of it before this thread!)

EdGrip

23 Aug 2017

I just had a look at the SAW website - man, that's tragic. They've got a nerve to still be charging for that in 2017. But if it's fast, it's fast.

syncanonymous

23 Aug 2017

EdGrip wrote:
23 Aug 2017
I just had a look at the SAW website - man, that's tragic. They've got a nerve to still be charging for that in 2017. But if it's fast, it's fast.
Hey EdGrip,
I bought SAW Studio Lite in 2000 for $1200.00. I think I have paid another $400 over the years for the various upgrades. In the late 90s it was $35-45.00 to buy blank CDs each and it was very easy to burn a coaster. I didn't start using SAW professionally until 2014! Since I started working daily with SAW, I have made my money back several times over the past 3 years. So, yeah, not a product to jump on board with in this day and age of PT subscriptions or Reaper for £65 home/£220 pro; they are much more cost effective solutions and have modern functionality. The learning curve has been high for SAW as well, but now, I wouldn't want to edit and mix in anything else.

Now, compared to Reason, I compose much less music for profit than I do for mixing film audio. I just have a higher volume of the film audio (mainly interviews). The entry price for Reason is low enough that you don't mind making money to justify the cost. For me, Reason has paid for itself several times over as well. When I do compose music for work or fun, I pretty much use Reason exclusively nowadays. And now I am off to Recycle some Electribes :-)

EdGrip

23 Aug 2017

Sorry, my mistake - you can *just* see individual samples at max zoom on the sequencer, but not clearly enough to edit to them.
I was thinking of the sample editor:

I don't know what the best (modern) DAW is for straight up slicing and dicing audio.

syncanonymous

24 Aug 2017

Hey EdGrip, yeah, you are talking about samples for a sampler, I was speaking of zooming into to the actual sample rate snapshots; very different things with the same term to explain it :-) Reason is alright for slicing and dicing; the zoom level limitations of Reason are unfortunate....it doesn' t stop us from using it.

I did do a bunch of screen shots.
This is Reason 8.3 as big as you can zoom waveform amplitude and waveform height in comp edit mode. It's workable but there is no scope to make this any larger on screen afaiaa. Frankly, I have been working this way for a few hours today, and it is amazing what we can do nowadays. So my previous mindset of SLICING in Reason is leaning more toward working in Reason, so I stand corrected on some of my previous comments. That leaves the zoom levels which are much higher res in Recycle; and Recycle export functionalities . You can't sync to other tracks with ReCycle cuz it is one waveform at a time. You certainly can't time shift in ReCycle.

Here are some zoom levels in ReCycle:
I will say the zoom functionality is rather tedious in ReCycle: a vertical slider bottom left for zoom in/out; a horizontal slider top right of waveform display form waveform height. Reason is way easier with mouse scroll wheel + ctrl+shift and mouse scroll wheel + ctrl.

Recycle Full Screen: there is still scope to zoom in more on waveform and waveform height

ReCycle zoomed in full: higher accuracy can be achieved placing slice markers. There is still scope to increase waveform zoom. This wave form is a very staccato closed hat

ReCycle Zoomed Out full; default waveform height zoom at "1"

Reason: same file; not Zoomed out full; waveform height zoom at "1"; Track Lane in maximized here and there isn't much to see.

Reason: same file; not Zoomed out full; waveform height zoom at "2" ; Track Lane in maximized....

Reason: same file; not Zoomed out full; waveform height zoom at "3" or maximum ; Track Lane in maximized....

Oquasec

24 Aug 2017

There is a separate thing for super zoom but you gotta double click.
And the supersize waveforms button.

But honestly at that point you could get a copy of cubase for that insane price for a sampling tool.
Producer/Programmer.

okaino

24 Aug 2017

Recycle is worth something....but not $100

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Oquasec

24 Aug 2017

recycle is worth 60 bucks at most for what it does compared to what reason 5+ already got imo
Producer/Programmer.

GRIFTY

24 Aug 2017

MusicianX wrote:
22 Aug 2017
GRIFTY wrote:
18 Aug 2017
I haven't used recycle in over a year. it's frankly easier to sample directly into kong and edit slices individually
Could you explain how you sample with kong? I have been trying to get a good workflow down when it comes to sampling in reason.
i use a program that runs all my windows audio onto a stereo track in reason.
my template has two stereo tracks set up for monitoring, one for windows and the other for my turntable.
i have a spider splitter that splits the main audio output from reason and sends it to the sample input. so i can basically infinitely resample any sound reason makes. by enabling monitoring on the windows track or the turntable input i can sample from wax, youtube, a media player, etc on the fly.

in kong just hit "record sample" and it'll create a nnano automatically and start sampling whatever is playing

pushedbutton

25 Aug 2017

What do you use to do that?
I'd love to be able to get a soundbite from a youtube vid without having to download it.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

kitekrazy

28 Aug 2017

Oquasec wrote:
20 Aug 2017
If I already have slicex, would I benefit from getting recycle?
Cuz at that point, it seems like it doesn't make sense since kongs in a combi was enough.
Then I already own slicex standalone for years : /

But if you don't have anything else already, and really want to use recycle for that then gooooo get it.
Slicex will be on sale once in awhile from 3rd party vendors.

GRIFTY

09 Sep 2017

pushedbutton wrote:
25 Aug 2017
What do you use to do that?
I'd love to be able to get a soundbite from a youtube vid without having to download it.
man sorry! never saw this, i don't check this site too often anymore. i used to use this https://o-deus-audio.com.au/ASIOLink software, but since they raised their price, and if i recall correctly they have a "2 install limit" lol, i don't recommend it anymore. Jack http://jackaudio.org/ has been recommended to me frequently and I am thinking about revisiting it

• Information