P-Heads Reason Timeline History

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
am0eba

16 Aug 2017

P-heads have a new feature on their site to show you how obsolete your old version of Reason is... Has a lovely slider that runs through each* release of Reason and gives a brief overview of the changes made with each* one...
Unfortunately, the overviews gloss over some of the changes, like specific devices, etc, but if you go to Version 1, you can see a listing of each* version and what it changed.

* - I footnoted "each" because they didn't include Record, which was where they introduced audio recording prior to incorporating it into Reason itself.

A few omissions and questions:

1. When was Record introduced? (I think it was between V5 and V6, but not certain...)
2. When were the Line 6 devices added? Seems like it might have been V4, but V6 makes more sense (That's when Audio recording was introduced)
3. When did old versions of Rack Extensions go bad, like PredatoRe, which, when I ran Reason 7 on a project that used the Line 6 amps, told me I didn't have a license for it!
4. It would be nice to include the dates of release...

Very interesting resource. I think they should include the missing data, update it with each release, and include it in the Manual as well...

_Dave_
:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

Wickline

16 Aug 2017

I particularly liked the tag below the link for the timeline that said something like "see what each new version of reason BUYS you"... Lol
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

avasopht
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2017

am0eba wrote:
16 Aug 2017
1. When was Record introduced? (I think it was between V5 and V6, but not certain...)
2. When were the Line 6 devices added? Seems like it might have been V4, but V6 makes more sense (That's when Audio recording was introduced)
3. When did old versions of Rack Extensions go bad, like PredatoRe, which, when I ran Reason 7 on a project that used the Line 6 amps, told me I didn't have a license for it!
_Dave_
Record came out about a year after Version 4. Version 5 came out alongside Record 1.5.

Line6 devices were added with Record and were only introduced to Reason in version 6, where Reason essentially became Reason+Record, so it inherited every Record feature, such as the SSL racks ;)

Reason 6 was a free upgrade for ALL Reason users, even if you only had version 1!

Gorgon

16 Aug 2017

avasopht wrote:
16 Aug 2017
Reason 6 was a free upgrade for ALL Reason users, even if you only had version 1!
Well, technically, it was pay what you want.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

avasopht
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2017

Gorgon wrote:
16 Aug 2017
avasopht wrote:
16 Aug 2017
Yes, but I think there was no minimum.

Basically, you could upgrade from version 1 without paying a penny if you wanted to.

They also took a vote on what features people wanted implemented when making the payment. This might be why we have VST support ;)

am0eba

16 Aug 2017

Thanks guys! I was there, but just don't remember...

_Dave_
:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

Electric-Metal

16 Aug 2017

joeyluck wrote:
16 Aug 2017
Hmmm I don't see what you're talking about. Got a link?
https://www.propellerheads.se/de/reason ... newsletter
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

SebAudio

19 Aug 2017

avasopht wrote:
16 Aug 2017
Gorgon wrote:
16 Aug 2017

Yes, but I think there was no minimum.

Basically, you could upgrade from version 1 without paying a penny if you wanted to.

They also took a vote on what features people wanted implemented when making the payment. This might be why we have VST support ;)
It was "pay as you want" for people who owned Reason AND Record. If you only owned Reason it was a paid
upgrade.

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2017

SebAudio wrote:
19 Aug 2017

It was "pay as you want" for people who owned Reason AND Record. If you only owned Reason it was a paid
upgrade.
Oooh, ...

That explains why I couldn't use it to upgrade my other Reason license :D

• Information