Advice on computer specs/data storage wanted

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
dab1984

16 Aug 2017

Hey

I am low on cash but managed to get a quad core cpu and new mob. But I am stuck with very old HDDs and 16 gigs of ram. I still have not had the machine put together.

My music is pretty heavy on the computer. I had many problems despite trying all the obvious things with my current 16 gig ram, old hdds and dual core cpu.

I use Reason along side other programs at the same time .. like Reaktor.. and Ableton... and VSTs

Wondering about your experiences/recommendations
keeping in mind that I have very complex tracks often with countless devices and tracks and much audio in Reason alone not counting the other programs I want to run at the same time. What specs do such heavy users need? Is RAM or CPU more important? If I can't afford neither new HDDs (like SSD) and any extra RAM .. how do you think I'd fare with AMD Ryzen 7 1700 as the ONLY upgrade?

-
Also. Should I have Reason and my other audio programs on my C Windows HDD or a separate ones? Same question for where to keep VSTs and audio and other files? I.e is it any help to put different things on different drives? If so what is your advice?

Thank you so much in advance for anyone who offers any words of wisdom ..!
-
Dab

• Information