audio signal to midi

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ninepiece

16 Aug 2017

Hi All

Help please

My idea is to use mics on my drum kit acting as triggers and then turning them into a midi virtual kit in reason essentials while recording live. Its a practice kit with mesh heads and cymbomutes on which is ideal for practicing with no noise.

I'm hoping this is possible?

Thanks

Loque

16 Aug 2017

You need a Gate signal to trigger a drum instrument on a drum computer. This can be generated by a audio signal through a Compressor and its (backside) CV Gainreduction Out.Adjust the compressor to the threshold, when the compressor should create a gain reduction. Use a high compression ratio to have a sufficiant Gate signal. Note, that some compressors hold this "gate" as long as they compress and some compressor do not finally go to a zero gain reduction signal - you need to try it. Also possible devices to achieve this signal may be Noise-Gates or Expanders.

Keep in mind, that you need several input signals to trigger different drum instruments and they should be isolated as much as possible to have clean signal for the threshold.

To create this signal chain, add a compressor (or similar device) to your audio track and disconnect the compressors output. Adjust the values in the compressor and connect its CV out to a Gate input of your drum choice. Note, that depending on the CV out signal it may be required to invert it by using a CV Spider and its inverted CV out on the back.
Reason12, Win10

Wickline

16 Aug 2017

You can also drag the audio to a note lane for the instrument you want to trigger and reason will generate the midi data.
Like Loque said, the mics need to be as isolated as possible. If there's too much bleed, you can run each track through a gate first (kuassa's free gate RE works better than the ssl channel gate IMO) and bounce the cleaned up audio first.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

• Information