On the Fence

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
strangers
Competition Winner

13 Aug 2017

Anyone still running a pre-9.5 version of Reason? If so, what are your thoughts on upgrading or not upgrading?

I'm running the last version of 8 before 9 was released. I can't make up my mind on taking the plunge on 9.5 or to wait it out. I have no complaints with 8.3 other than I wish there were more hours in the day to learn even half of what 8.3 offers. There's only two factors that are slightly pushing me to buy the upgrade and that is the ability to finally run Toontrack EzDrummer 2 within Reason and access to some RE's that require 9+. Most of those RE's aren't a need but more of the usual want that goes along with GAS.

At some point, I'm sure I'll snag another VST or two but for now all I really use is EzDrummer 2 and Ozone 7 Advanced. EzDrummer 2 can run standalone but its sequencer is very limited. That's just about all I'd be upgrading for. I'm not interested in running Ozone within Reason. It runs perfectly as a standalone and I'd see no point in changing that.

Anyone else in a similar situation where you're on the fence about upgrading just to use one or two things that you can't in your current version of Reason?

BRIGGS

13 Aug 2017

$69 R9.5e

I was on R5 since it came out.

Vsts and REs ftw!

The sound!!!
r11s

strangers
Competition Winner

13 Aug 2017

BRIGGS wrote:
13 Aug 2017
$69 R9.5e

I was on R5 since it came out.

Vsts and REs ftw!

The sound!!!
I hadn't thought about that route. Very good idea though. I do have a Guitar Center 20% coupon which would knock the upgrade down to $100. The $30 difference between Essentials and the full version isn't too drastic in that scenario.

Goriila Texas

13 Aug 2017

9.5.1 is the best version to date hands down. You'd be surprised at how much latency native devices have,that's worth the upgrade alone.

Steedus
Competition Winner

13 Aug 2017

I finally upgraded from v6.5. I like it and am happy, but it definitely doesn't run as smoothly or quickly. Almost every part of it feels more sluggish than before. You probably won't notice this coming from 8 though.

avasopht
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2017

It all depends on how you use Reason.

If I had to go back to R4 I'm sure I'd be fine.

All the additions since are pretty awesome though ;)

Only you can decide whether waiting for R10/RX would be worth it but I suspect it will be quite a mighty upgrade so in your shoes I'd probably wait.

Nick Pa

14 Aug 2017

I love R7... So quick and no bugs. Been waiting for 10 to come out...and waiting, and waiting, and waiting....Still waiting.

Personally, I would wait until 10.3 comes out until upgrading. That's what I'm doing. They should have alot of the latency and Vst glich issues ironed out by then. Not worth the headache to get involved until they get it running how it should be.

EnochLight

14 Aug 2017

Nick Pa wrote:
14 Aug 2017
Personally, I would wait until 10.3 comes out until upgrading. That's what I'm doing. They should have alot of the latency and Vst glich issues ironed out by then.
Curious - what "latency" problem are you having on your version?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Nick Pa

15 Aug 2017

EnochLight wrote:
14 Aug 2017
Nick Pa wrote:
14 Aug 2017
Personally, I would wait until 10.3 comes out until upgrading. That's what I'm doing. They should have alot of the latency and Vst glich issues ironed out by then.
My apologies. I'm not personally having any latency issues...its my cousin and everyone else that I see and hear about that stopped me from making the jump just yet. They introduced the Vst hosting way too early. Propellerhead even admitted that they didn't test all of their own products before releasing 9.5. Kinda shotty if you ask me. And it took them a year to give us 9.5 from 9.... :? Hopefully not another year until 10, and hopefully they fix the bugs by the time they release it.

EnochLight

15 Aug 2017

Nick Pa wrote:
15 Aug 2017
EnochLight wrote:
14 Aug 2017

My apologies. I'm not personally having any latency issues...its my cousin and everyone else that I see and hear about that stopped me from making the jump just yet. They introduced the Vst hosting way too early. Propellerhead even admitted that they didn't test all of their own products before releasing 9.5. Kinda shotty if you ask me. And it took them a year to give us 9.5 from 9.... :? Hopefully not another year until 10, and hopefully they fix the bugs by the time they release it.
No offense, but I feel like you're taking second hand information that has been poorly conveyed. Propellerhead conducted a rigorous alpha/beta test before even going public beta, and while obviously there's issues that still need to be addressed (it's a "first release" of VST-support after all), I've not heard from Propellerhead that they did not test all of their own products before releasing 9.5. Are you referring to their own RE's? And again, about latency - it would be helpful if your cousin could elaborate more about what issue they're having. Perhaps they could chime in to this thread?

Latency almost always has as much to do with your system's audio interface, chosen sample/bit rate, buffer, and a variety of other factors before even hitting the DAW. While I'm not saying Reason 9.5.x doesn't need more optimization (of course it does!), I just find issues with latency to be a lot more complicated in many cases. Or are you referring to Reason's new Plugin Delay Compensation?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Nick Pa

15 Aug 2017

EnochLight wrote:
15 Aug 2017
Nick Pa wrote:
15 Aug 2017

No offense, but I feel like you're taking second hand information that has been poorly conveyed. Propellerhead conducted a rigorous alpha/beta test before even going public beta, and while obviously there's issues that still need to be addressed (it's a "first release" of VST-support after all), I've not heard from Propellerhead that they did not test all of their own products before releasing 9.5. Are you referring to their own RE's? And again, about latency - it would be helpful if your cousin could elaborate more about what issue they're having. Perhaps they could chime in to this thread?

Latency almost always has as much to do with your system's audio interface, chosen sample/bit rate, buffer, and a variety of other factors before even hitting the DAW. While I'm not saying Reason 9.5.x doesn't need more optimization (of course it does!), I just find issues with latency to be a lot more complicated in many cases. Or are you referring to Reason's new Plugin Delay Compensation?
No offense taken. Its not second hand info though, I've been playing with 9.5 at my cousins studio for the past 5 weeks and its crap. IMO.
They may have tested it (alpha beta, cappa, zeta, doesn't matter) but obviously not good enough. If you make claims and sell a product that is described to work one way but in reality is another, there is an issue from the gate. Of course some issues are to be expected with any new software, but not to this extent. FL and others have had this capability for years already and fixed there issues in a very timely manner, for the most part. Its not just the latency that I'm hearing about, its the DSP usage and overall glitchy feel 9.5 has that is my real problem.
If you like playing with wonky high school tech more power to you. This is my opinion so take it or leave it. No offense. :puf_bigsmile:

EnochLight

15 Aug 2017

Nick Pa wrote:
15 Aug 2017
If you like playing with wonky high school tech more power to you.
Ahhh. There it is. :roll: :lol:

Nick Pa

15 Aug 2017

EnochLight wrote:
15 Aug 2017
Nick Pa wrote:
15 Aug 2017
If you like playing with wonky high school tech more power to you.
Ahhh...yes, the truth. It can be so refreshing :!:

EnochLight

15 Aug 2017

Nick Pa wrote:
15 Aug 2017
EnochLight wrote:
15 Aug 2017

Ahhh...yes, the truth. It can be so refreshing :!:
cool_story_bro.jpg
cool_story_bro.jpg (41.47 KiB) Viewed 3580 times

Nick Pa

15 Aug 2017

Truth hurts. Don't be upset because I see things for how they are and you, well, don't... when my Raven MXT finally comes in I'll show you how its done right. Maybe Props can get it right by Version 15...Maybe.

Electric-Metal

15 Aug 2017

Did the editing for you.
Thank me later :thumbs_up:
Nick Pa wrote:
15 Aug 2017
Truth hurts. Don't be upset because I see things for how they are in my opinion
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

EnochLight

15 Aug 2017

Nick Pa wrote:
15 Aug 2017
Truth hurts. Don't be upset because I see things for how they are and you, well, don't... when my Raven MXT finally comes in I'll show you how its done right. Maybe Props can get it right by Version 15...Maybe.
I don't think anyone is upset. I certainly am not - things are working fine for me. No issues with latency whatsoever, and all of my VST and RE work fine. And while I'd love to have more performance on my 4-5 year old machine, I can get by just fine right now. So, there's some truth for you. ;)

But hey, some of us like highschool tech toys to make music on. Speaking of which, when one of the most popular bedroom DAW's name was inspired from a kid's breakfast cereal , it's hard to slander pedantic name calling at the DAW one chooses to use. I mean, it's just software after all.

Raven MXT is pretty sweet. I can think of better things to drop $10K on, though.

Nick Pa

15 Aug 2017

EnochLight wrote:
15 Aug 2017
Nick Pa wrote:
15 Aug 2017
I don't think anyone is upset. I certainly am not - things are working fine for me. No issues with latency whatsoever, and all of my VST and RE work fine. And while I'd love to have more performance on my 4-5 year old machine, I can get by just fine right now. So, there's some truth for you. ;)

But hey, some of us like highschool tech toys to make music on. Speaking of which, when one of the most popular bedroom DAW's name was inspired from a kid's breakfast cereal , it's hard to slander pedantic name calling at the DAW one chooses to use. I mean, it's just software after all.

Raven MXT is pretty sweet. I can think of better things to drop $10K on, though.
Oh you're definetly upset, or you would've dropped this by now. Let's not forget who wanted to start arguing about something they never experieneced ? oh, that's right, it was you!
I however am sticking to my OPINION, which I am entitled to. You don't like it ? Tough tits...
And that opinion again is, Propellerhead needs to step up, stop being so greedy and sell the product they advertise. I shouldn't have to use 2 or 3 other programs to do what I want to do with MY music.
You definetly have a problem with other peoples opinion guy...You won't even leave the Raven alone :lol:

EnochLight

15 Aug 2017

Nick Pa wrote:
15 Aug 2017
Oh you're definetly upset, or you would've dropped this by now. Let's not forget who wanted to start arguing about something they never experieneced ? oh, that's right, it was you!
I however am sticking to my OPINION, which I am entitled to. You don't like it ? Tough tits...
And that opinion again is, Propellerhead needs to step up, stop being so greedy and sell the product they advertise. I shouldn't have to use 2 or 3 other programs to do what I want to do with MY music.
You definetly have a problem with other peoples opinion guy...You won't even leave the Raven alone :lol:
Hmmm... I chimed in with a genuine desire to help, as well as a genuine desire to learn with the issue is. You seem to have turned this into something much more personal than that, and instead switched to an ad hominem. And you may be entitled to an opinion, but you are also entitled to have your opinion called out when others don't agree. Don't be sore. This is the Internet. Half the people out there don't agree with you, and half the people out there don't agree with me. Nothing to get hot and bothered about. :roll:

selig
RE Developer

15 Aug 2017

Nick Pa wrote:
15 Aug 2017
EnochLight wrote:
15 Aug 2017

OK, you're both "upset" or you both would have dropped this by now - and now would be a great time to do so.

It's not just your "opinion" btw, it's your EXPERIENCE (so not "the truth", but certainly YOUR truth).
BOTH of you are 100% correct if that makes either of you feel better. ;)
And for the record, in MY experience things are running smoothly with 9.5, but also I know there are plenty of others who are not experiencing the same.

Nothing to see here…
Selig Audio, LLC

Nick Pa

15 Aug 2017

EnochLight wrote:
15 Aug 2017
Nick Pa wrote:
15 Aug 2017
Hmmm... I chimed in with a genuine desire to help, as well as a genuine desire to learn with the issue is. You seem to have turned this into something much more personal than that, and instead switched to an ad hominem. And you may be entitled to an opinion, but you are also entitled to have your opinion called out when others don't agree. Don't be sore. This is the Internet. Half the people out there don't agree with you, and half the people out there don't agree with me. Nothing to get hot and bothered about. :roll:
Genuine desire...my a$$. If it was genuine we wouldn't be where we are. You with a rock head and me with an opinion that half the people out there don't agree with.
Keep it coming guy, keep it coming. In the meanwhile, I'm headed home to make a banger on 3 different DAWs. Hopefully one day I will only have to use 1 :puf_bigsmile:

selig
RE Developer

15 Aug 2017

Nick Pa wrote:
15 Aug 2017
EnochLight wrote:
15 Aug 2017

Genuine desire...my a$$. If it was genuine we wouldn't be where we are. You with a rock head and me with an opinion that half the people out there don't agree with.
Keep it coming guy, keep it coming. In the meanwhile, I'm headed home to make a banger on 3 different DAWs. Hopefully one day I will only have to use 1 :puf_bigsmile:
Can you both please stop replying to each other?
It's looking more and more like you're both VERY upset.
Please prove me wrong and take it to PM if you absolutely must bicker.

If either one of you "keeps it coming" you'll earn yourself a warning ban, OK?
Selig Audio, LLC

Nick Pa

15 Aug 2017

selig wrote:
15 Aug 2017
Nick Pa wrote:
15 Aug 2017

Can you both please stop replying to each other?
Please prove me wrong and take it to PM if you absolutely must bicker.

If either one of you "keeps it coming" you'll earn yourself a warning ban, OK?
Oh no, not a warning ban!!! on a site with ignorant and hardheaded users... I came here to talk and share with people who want to do the same. Not for some dou#he to try and call me out on an opinion. Maybe you should put up some basic rules to keep inconsiderate people from attacking other peoples comments ??

EnochLight

15 Aug 2017

strangers wrote:
13 Aug 2017
I hadn't thought about that route. Very good idea though. I do have a Guitar Center 20% coupon which would knock the upgrade down to $100. The $30 difference between Essentials and the full version isn't too drastic in that scenario.
If you can score the full upgrade for just $100, then that's an awesome deal. I feel it would easily be worth it with that coupon.
selig wrote:
15 Aug 2017
No, not really. More like.. "disappointed in my fellow human". Anyway, I'm out.

strangers
Competition Winner

15 Aug 2017

A couple days away from the forum had me eager to catch up on the 20+ replies I missed out on. Quickly noticed I opened quite the can of worms lol.

I did quite a bit of video watching/listening and reading up on what 9.5 has to offer and ended up jumping aboard. $100 well spent, if you ask me. The pitch editor alone made me a happy customer. I never fully got along with Neptune and the new pitch edit feature is exactly what I've been wanting to edit vocals with.

I've seen a lot of mixed comments regarding CPU that had me a little worried knowing I've been working on projects that were already getting close to slowing down a few mixes. Oddly enough, I must have gotten some golden ticket. Those same projects that were starting to push CPU run much smoother on 9.5. Not really sure how or why but I'm not complaining.

Small side note... the new dark color schemes are refreshing. My eyes are enjoying the dark DAW especially when working on multiple projects back to back. Seems to be easier on the eyes or could all be in my head once sleep deprivation hits.

• Information