On the Fence

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

16 Aug 2017

strangers wrote:
15 Aug 2017
A couple days away from the forum had me eager to catch up on the 20+ replies I missed out on. Quickly noticed I opened quite the can of worms lol.

I did quite a bit of video watching/listening and reading up on what 9.5 has to offer and ended up jumping aboard. $100 well spent, if you ask me. The pitch editor alone made me a happy customer. I never fully got along with Neptune and the new pitch edit feature is exactly what I've been wanting to edit vocals with.

I've seen a lot of mixed comments regarding CPU that had me a little worried knowing I've been working on projects that were already getting close to slowing down a few mixes. Oddly enough, I must have gotten some golden ticket. Those same projects that were starting to push CPU run much smoother on 9.5. Not really sure how or why but I'm not complaining.

Small side note... the new dark color schemes are refreshing. My eyes are enjoying the dark DAW especially when working on multiple projects back to back. Seems to be easier on the eyes or could all be in my head once sleep deprivation hits.
Congrats on the upgrade! Yeah, with the built-in Audio Pitch Editor, I find that I need to go outside of Reason into Melodyne extremely rare these days - Reason's editor just works fantastic. On your project CPU use... with Hyperthreading checked, I've found that my larger projects where instruments + effects are spread nicely across multiple mixer channels run a bit better on 9.5.x. My smaller projects, on the other hand, run the same or worse as they did on previous versions.

I guess I need to stick to building big songs now - LOL!

Anyway, congrats on 9.5.x. You got a great deal, IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ejanuska

16 Aug 2017

Just upgrade already.
I couldn't go back to v8 and live with it anymore.
VSTs, pitch correct, all those new REs, etc.
Best of all you can drop right to Allipoopa!

aeox
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2017

No problems here

selig
RE Developer

17 Aug 2017

Nick Pa wrote:
selig wrote:
15 Aug 2017
Can you both please stop replying to each other?
It's looking more and more like you're both VERY upset.
Please prove me wrong and take it to PM if you absolutely must bicker.

If either one of you "keeps it coming" you'll earn yourself a warning ban, OK?
Oh no, not a warning ban!!! on a site with ignorant and hardheaded users... I came here to talk and share with people who want to do the same. Not for some dou#he to try and call me out on an opinion. Maybe you should put up some basic rules to keep inconsiderate people from attacking other peoples comments ??
Please read the forum rules (guessing you've missed them?) posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7500911

And PLEASE stop commenting as I have previously asked. I don't know how I can be more clear - if you need further clarification please PM and we will do our best to clarify.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Oquasec

17 Aug 2017

You gain access to twice as many free RE after 5, have built in melodyne, and access to the latest RE.
But Reason needs a bolder grid with more contrast.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

strangers
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2017

EnochLight wrote:
16 Aug 2017
Congrats on the upgrade! Yeah, with the built-in Audio Pitch Editor, I find that I need to go outside of Reason into Melodyne extremely rare these days - Reason's editor just works fantastic. On your project CPU use... with Hyperthreading checked, I've found that my larger projects where instruments + effects are spread nicely across multiple mixer channels run a bit better on 9.5.x. My smaller projects, on the other hand, run the same or worse as they did on previous versions.

Thanks man. I'm still very impressed with the pitch editor. I'm not too familiar with Moldyne, I'll have to look it up. I couldn't imagine needing to reach outside of the pitch editor in 9.5. It's already an invaluable tool for me.

I've read bits and pieces about Hyperthreading. Is it on by default or something you've gotta enable/disable? Lol the push for creating bigger songs/projects is daunting but might as well take advantage of the power.
Oquasec wrote:
17 Aug 2017
You gain access to twice as many free RE after 5, have built in melodyne, and access to the latest RE.
There are a good number of RE's that required 9+. Upgrading has been on my mind now, especially when deals pop up. Nothing worse than seeing a steal but falling back to reality once you notice "you must upgrade first."

EnochLight

18 Aug 2017

strangers wrote:
17 Aug 2017
EnochLight wrote:
16 Aug 2017

Thanks man. I'm still very impressed with the pitch editor. I'm not too familiar with Moldyne, I'll have to look it up. I couldn't imagine needing to reach outside of the pitch editor in 9.5. It's already an invaluable tool for me.

I've read bits and pieces about Hyperthreading. Is it on by default or something you've gotta enable/disable? Lol the push for creating bigger songs/projects is daunting but might as well take advantage of the power.
Oquasec wrote:
17 Aug 2017
There are a good number of RE's that required 9+. Upgrading has been on my mind now, especially when deals pop up. Nothing worse than seeing a steal but falling back to reality once you notice "you must upgrade first."
If your CPU supports it, Hyperthreading should be on by default in 9.5.x. You can check in your Preferences on the General tab, though:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (134.98 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
If you like Reason's Audio Pitch Editor and it gets everything you need done inside of it, I wouldn't even bother looking at its equivalent in Melodyne (which is Melodyne Essential). Reason's APE does everything Melodyne Essential does essentially, and sounds just as good.

It's only when you step into Melodyne Editor or Studio when the feature parity is no longer, but those alone cost the same as a full fledged DAW and are a waste of money, IMHO, unless you absolutely need their features. I only own Melodyne Editor because I got Melodyne Essential free with another DAW, and scored Editor on an upgrade path rather cheap. I only use it for its DNA (Direct Note Access) or to extract tempo maps from other songs, and that's it. Nothing more.

Sound quality-wise, don't believe the Melodyne hype: Reason's APE sounds just as good and is just as easy to work inside, IMHO. :)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EpiGenetik

18 Aug 2017

EnochLight wrote:
18 Aug 2017
Sound quality-wise, don't believe the Melodyne hype: Reason's APE sounds just as good and is just as easy to work inside, IMHO. :)
The other aspect of this is that the DNA versions of Melodyne are not outright zingers in terms of sound quality once you start using them. I only used DNA for about 2-3 months a few years back, and the only conclusion I could come to was: "This will be usable within the next two decades, for sure, if they keep at it". It's still a technology that excites me, but when it comes right down to it there is still a ton of artifacts there once you do any significant amount of work. This is before the workflow issue - Melodyne is tortuous to actually get anything done on.

If you don't need it, don't bother...... yet :)

EnochLight

18 Aug 2017

EpiGenetik wrote:
18 Aug 2017
The other aspect of this is that the DNA versions of Melodyne are not outright zingers in terms of sound quality once you start using them. I only used DNA for about 2-3 months a few years back, and the only conclusion I could come to was: "This will be usable within the next two decades, for sure, if they keep at it". It's still a technology that excites me, but when it comes right down to it there is still a ton of artifacts there once you do any significant amount of work. This is before the workflow issue - Melodyne is tortuous to actually get anything done on.

If you don't need it, don't bother...... yet :)
I agree, for the most part. Workflow in Melodyne can be a pain in the ass. I do find my DNA results in version 4.0 to be pretty darn good, but I tend to use it on polyphonic material that isn't that complicated (3-4 notes max) and is usually buried in a mix.

• Information