issue with sending midi control change messages

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
gronk33

13 Aug 2017

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to Reason and am using Reason 9.5 with Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 VST. I'd like to send MIDI CC messages on CC#15 so that I can add nuance to my horns (kiss, doits, falloffs, etc.).

To create these effects, Garritan JBB3 requires CC#64 set to a value between 49 and 95. After that I can send values on CC#15 to trigger specific effects.

I can add and set Pitch Bend(CC#19), Mod Wheel, (CC#1), Sustain Pedal(CC#64), Aftertouch (CC#??), Expression (CC#11) and Breath Control (CC#2). via the Note Lane Parameter Parameter Automation window.

Yet it's only those 6 parameters that show up. I can't seem to figure out how to add and send values on other control channels. I've looked through the manual (especially in the performance automation section) and online. It seems that it's somewhat dependent on what the VST plugin makes available.

So can anyone offer advice on how to send messages on CC channels that don't show up in the Note Lane Parameter Automation window?

Thanks,

Ted

swamptooth

13 Aug 2017

that's a drag... i hadn't tested garritan or aria player yet. same sitch here.

gronk33

13 Aug 2017

Good to know you're having the same issue (i.e. I'm not crazy). At this point I'm willing to buy another library/VST if it does support that functionality.

I haven't tried East/West stuff but I'm hoping someone can opine on whether sending control messages works for their Player 5. Thoughts?

For context I'm writing funk stuff and need the doits, falloffs, etc. for trumpets.

swamptooth

13 Aug 2017

gronk33 wrote:
13 Aug 2017
Good to know you're having the same issue (i.e. I'm not crazy). At this point I'm willing to buy another library/VST if it does support that functionality.

I haven't tried East/West stuff but I'm hoping someone can opine on whether sending control messages works for their Player 5. Thoughts?

For context I'm writing funk stuff and need the doits, falloffs, etc. for trumpets.
funny enough i'm using ewqlso right now. limited automation parameters as well, but necessary ones are covered. i'd give props time to work out reports of these vsts.

swamptooth

13 Aug 2017

actually i take that back about ewqlso... no volume/pan automation, etc...

gronk33

13 Aug 2017

Hunh. Thanks very much for checking. I'll ask propellerhead tech support about their plans.

gronk33

16 Aug 2017

I checked with both Propellerhead and Garritan. Propellerhead confirmed that unless a VST plugin exposes a specific automation parameter, one can't send CC messages to it successfully.

And Garritan's support page states that only a limited number of automation parameters are exposed via their Aria player: https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... -libraries

Yet on that same page they reference Plogue's free Sforzando plugin : https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/

So I downloaded the plugin, loaded the Garritan SFZ files and IT WORKS! I now have access to all of the parameters I need to create the brass effects I was looking for.

It's a beautiful solution. Thank you Plogue!

• Information