Replacing stereo imager for better splitting

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kooshan

08 Aug 2017

To make a multiband compressor in reason with the stock devices , we have to use several stereo imagers as we already know .lets say we want steeper filters (not the ones in stereo imager),ok i know we could use the Yoko device ... my question is , is there any other way to use just the stock devices to achieve what yoko brings ? ( i mean steeper filters) like by using other devices or combining more stereo imagers?

dioxide

08 Aug 2017

One option would be to use the Mixer Channel filters with Parallel channels.

dioxide

08 Aug 2017

Or split the signal with a Spider and filter them using Thor.

riemac

08 Aug 2017

For me the free Elements Splitter from AirRaid is the best solution because you can split in three bands with one device and it has an option to switch between 12db and 24db filter slopes. And what is most importend, it passes the null test (which yoko doen't).

Wickline

08 Aug 2017

Use multiple vocoders in eq mode. I wouldn't say it's better than the imager but it's another option. I haven't used it that way since I don't know when. Might be worth taking a look at it in the channel eq spec analyzer. See if it really gets a (near) brick wall cutoff like the device readout shows.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

kooshan

08 Aug 2017

riemac wrote:
08 Aug 2017
For me the free Elements Splitter from AirRaid is the best solution because you can split in three bands with one device and it has an option to switch between 12db and 24db filter slopes. And what is most importend, it passes the null test (which yoko doen't).
Good option , so what about if more bands needed ? Workarounds ?

riemac

08 Aug 2017

kooshan wrote:
08 Aug 2017
riemac wrote:
08 Aug 2017
Good option , so what about if more bands needed ? Workarounds ?
No problem, you can use two Elements Splitters to split the audio in 4 or 5 bands.

selig
RE Developer

08 Aug 2017

I would suggest only using splitters which pass the null test. This rules out using filters instead of crossovers (splitters), such as Thor, the SSL, the Vocoder - because ALL of these solutions will highly color the sound before you do ANYTHING else, just by passing through the filters.

Crossovers/splitters use what's called "complementary filters", which are filter sets that when re-combined produce a perfectly flat response. The Stereo Imager does this perfectly, as does Elements Splitter from AirRaid (according to the above post from reimac and others, I've not personally tested it myself).

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Wickline

08 Aug 2017

selig wrote:I would suggest only using splitters which pass the null test. This rules out using filters instead of crossovers (splitters), such as Thor, the SSL, the Vocoder - because ALL of these solutions will highly color the sound before you do ANYTHING else, just by passing through the filters.

Crossovers/splitters use what's called "complementary filters", which are filter sets that when re-combined produce a perfectly flat response. The Stereo Imager does this perfectly, as does Elements Splitter from AirRaid (according to the above post from reimac and others, I've not personally tested it myself).

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
like I said, wouldn't say it's better haha
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

• Information