Old mac mini chugging along

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Fantom Frost

07 Aug 2017

So my question is how well does Reason run under windows ten. I switched to mac a while back but it is starting to show age and sometimes come up with the message of not being able to play die to cpu congestion

I have an ssd coming that could extend its usefulness for another year or two is my hope

It is a mac mini late 2012 model. I7 16 gigs and 2.3 quad core if I remember right. A good machine i think. But i was thinking of getting a new processor to power it and that means a while new build. This would probably mean a hackintosh set up running both windows and mac. But not opposed to going back to windows.

Any thoughts.

Given that i have composer cloud running a few more vsts. Ram is gonna be important i think so going to a ridiculous amount of ram in a machine is ok. Since the mac is topped out at 16 it seems the only way is a windows machine. But how dependent is it on more ram. I know windows needs a lot of ram anyhow

I cant say that even in my later years, after building a few machines and throwing in the towel to finally a mac system ( i had an old mac plus back in the day). Where it just runs. Cant say it runs the fastest. I leave it on alot and running what lever i had up. Mostly because the boot process seems slow. But i reboot every couple of weeks even so. I am hoping the ssd will speed this up

subtractor101

20 Jan 2018

Funny, I have the same issue!

QVprod

20 Jan 2018

An SSD will solve your slow booting problem. CPU power will be the same but it'll feel like a new computer. I'd personally recommend against a new computer just to VSTs better in Reason since Reason's VST performance is less than most other DAWs. That's something that may have change in the future. On the other hand if you just want more overall power then go for it. Personally I'm running a 2006 Mac Pro as my main rig and it works really well for me. Your mac is surely more powerful than mine.

Fretless Fingers

22 Jan 2018

Currently running a Mac Mini 2011 Server with lower yet similar specs (12GB RAM). It's been more than serviceable compared to my Late 2008 MacBook Pro but I've had issues as of late. I've learned to stop using so many plug ins and Re's for sound design, bounce tracks and that the damn thing heats up like crazy. I'm rocking 2 internal drives, 1 SSD and a 7200Rpm HDD and with all that crammed inside I decided get a laptop cooling pad and remove the bottom to pump more air in. It's made a considerable difference so far but I'm still very conscious of how I do projects. My thinking is the same as your's though, Hackintosh is the next step as far as upgrading goes
:reason: v10 :record: :recycle: :refill: :re: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :ignition:
reason-expert.com Author, video maker, producer

Harmen

22 Jan 2018

If the 7200rpm HDD is outside the macmini case it does not heat up as quick and you do not get the throttle, so soon.

• Information