Converting CV to notes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Goodbye

03 Aug 2017

Hello,

I'm wondering if there is a way to convert an arbitrary cv signal (bipolar or unipolar) to a series of notes.

I know there is the CV Tuner RE, but I find it really limited for two reasons:

1. You have little control over the base note of the scale. You can just about wrestle control using CV Suite to control the range of the incoming CV signal and try to position the lowest point on the note you want, but it is really fiddly.
2. Your scale can only span an octave after which point it is repeated across all other octaves. For example, I might want my scale to consist of C4 E4 G4 D5 A6 which isn't possible.

Is there any way using CV routing and utility REs that I can define a scale spanning multiple octaves and have it played by CV signal (for example a sawtooth wave generated from Pulsar)?
Last edited by Goodbye on 03 Aug 2017, edited 1 time in total.

jappe

03 Aug 2017

Hello Goodbye ☺️

Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps this can help:
viewtopic.php?t=7493073

Oquasec

03 Aug 2017

Prolly just thor as a converter.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Goodbye

03 Aug 2017

@jappe Thanks for the link, but I don't want to create midi notes. I'm trying to control the conversion of a CV signal to a note CV signal. Obviously it is easy enough to pipe a CV (from an LFO for example) into the Note CV of an instrument and it is possible to control the range of notes by transforming the range of the CV signal using CV Suite. My problem is that this leads to all the notes between the top and bottom of the CV signal being played. I want a way of limiting the notes that will be played to a scale I have defined. I don't need the notes in a track or anything like that.

@Oquasec What do you mean by 'Prolly just thor as a converter'. How would I use Thor for mapping a CV signal to my chosen series of notes?

Oquasec

03 Aug 2017

By using the modmatrix and dragging the audio onto a midi track.
Or using melodyne.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Loque

03 Aug 2017

My simplest approach was to attach the CV notes to a Player in a Combinator. I used Janitor for CV scaling, hope you have it, otherwise i can see if i can do it with Thor. Note, that from Thor you can also use its sequencer and Midi-Note outs from its Mod-Matrix to do even more stuff.

To replicate, connect your CV signals to a Combinator which contains the Synth. Attach a Chords-Player to this synth. Make only the synth receive notes in the Combinator Mod-Matrix.
Attachments
cv2notes.jpg
cv2notes.jpg (210.36 KiB) Viewed 4365 times
cv2chords.zip
(2.91 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Reason12, Win10

AttenuationHz

03 Aug 2017

CV8X4 - CV to note generator. See CV#note. FREE

Selig Gain - Can scale the value coming out of MoPol (Trim mode bipolar, VCA unipolar) will scale the note and works for the velocity on the gate also. NOT FREE

MoPol - Will merge the gate and note signals to be connected to gate and note on a device. FREE

:thumbs_up:
CV#Note.JPG
CV#Note.JPG (58.48 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
CV# NOTE..zip
(3.22 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
↑ combi
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Goodbye

05 Aug 2017

@AttenuationHz and @loque Thanks very much. I'm away from my machine for a couple of days but will try getting this working when I'm back.

dioxide

05 Aug 2017

Try this. This uses Players to do something similar to CV Tuner but with all the octaves and a transpose function. Or if you don't want to use Note Echo (Pitch knob) for transposition, you can transpose using the Combinator programmer.

There is a Spider audio inserted before the Combinator also in case you want to scale the CV Note output from the Matrix. Again, this is optional.
CV Example.reason.zip
(71.26 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

Goodbye

05 Aug 2017

@dioxide Thanks. That sounds great.

dioxide

05 Aug 2017

Goodbye wrote:
05 Aug 2017
@dioxide Thanks. That sounds great.
It is MIDI based though, but thought I would post it in case someone finds it useful. There will also be some way to convert back into CV again from the Players either via Thor or with an RPG.

Bes
Competition Winner

06 Aug 2017

Goodbye wrote:
03 Aug 2017
Hello,

I'm wondering if there is a way to convert an arbitrary cv signal (bipolar or unipolar) to a series of notes.

I know there is the CV Tuner RE, but I find it really limited for two reasons:

1. You have little control over the base note of the scale. You can just about wrestle control using CV Suite to control the range of the incoming CV signal and try to position the lowest point on the note you want, but it is really fiddly.
2. Your scale can only span an octave after which point it is repeated across all other octaves. For example, I might want my scale to consist of C4 E4 G4 D5 A6 which isn't possible.

Is there any way using CV routing and utility REs that I can define a scale spanning multiple octaves and have it played by CV signal (for example a sawtooth wave generated from Pulsar)?
I have been a fan of OchenK's CV utilities for a long time, the scale you are asking for is possible with the Combinator and 2 or more CV Tuner devices. try assigning notes below C5 to a tuner that has the custom scale CEG and all notes above to custom scale D&A. open the programmer and tick the assign notes to both the CV tuner devices then select the note range for each
- Certified Reason expert

Goodbye

07 Aug 2017

@Bes Thank you. I didn't know you could map keys using the combinator. I think I have things set up as you described, though I'm just using keyboard to input the notes, but I can't get a CV signal out of the CV Tuners, although the combinator shows my key presses and the lights on the front of the first CV Tuner light up. Please could you take a quick look and see what I'm doing wrong.

Combinator Patch

Bes
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2017

oh yea that's because CV tuner is set to react to midi data differently to CV.
Midi notes C3 through B4 will enable that corresponding note in scale only for the time the note is held. All other midi note data is ignored so now I am thinking this method is bogus because no matter what CV signal you plug into the combi it is midi note data that we asked the programmer to send to the CV tuner. sigh

Bes
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2017

forget the CV tuner do the same thing but map each octave to a new synth within the combinator and use a scales and chords device atop each synth to customise the scale for that octave

Loque

07 Sep 2017

Man...now i just ran into a similar problem, but this time not to play a synth. I wanted to play my little "Fritz" RE play a lil melody that comes from CV signals and this little Fritz does not have a keyboard-scale option and does not supprt keyboard playing. Looks like only CV Tuner from OChen K. can do the job, but i didnt want to buy anything from him, until he fixes all the still open bugs in his devices. I just look also on Kron (when and if it will ever come), but i could not see any Keyboard-Scaling tool. Than i remineded, that Proton has this cool little feature, but mehhh, i can route a input to it, but it doesnt let me output it....

So, in the end...Any non CV-Tuner option out there that works within a Combintor?
Reason12, Win10

Goodbye

07 Sep 2017

Yeah. CV-Tuner does the bare minimum. It's pretty much useless for practical applications.

There are so many things common in modular that never made it to Reason and I don't really understand why. Note quantising being one of them.

ab459

24 May 2020

Loque wrote:
07 Sep 2017
until he fixes all the still open bugs in his devices.
Hi, about what bugs (and in what devices) you meant in Ochen.K ? Just wondering.

Loque

24 May 2020

ab459 wrote:
24 May 2020
Loque wrote:
07 Sep 2017
until he fixes all the still open bugs in his devices.
Hi, about what bugs (and in what devices) you meant in Ochen.K ? Just wondering.
4Mer doesn't recall parameters correctly and Carve crashes under specific cases. I don't have all RE of him, but heard of bugs in the others too. Instead of fixing and standing to the shortcomings he ran away. That's sad, because his devices were very innovative back in that time.
Reason12, Win10

ab459

24 May 2020

Loque wrote:
24 May 2020
ab459 wrote:
24 May 2020

4Mer doesn't recall parameters correctly and Carve crashes under specific cases. I don't have all RE of him, but heard of bugs in the others too. Instead of fixing and standing to the shortcomings he ran away. That's sad, because his devices were very innovative back in that time.
Hmm ty for info (i have just CV Tuner which bought once (did not used enough yet tho), and thought to buy some other of his re's. It seems need think better).

Chizmata

24 May 2020

complex-1 does have note quantization to a custom 12-tone scale, as well as cv in.

ab459

24 May 2020

Chizmata wrote:
24 May 2020
complex-1 does have note quantization to a custom 12-tone scale, as well as cv in.
Sounds good.

• Information