Do you use your own Templates?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Reasonable man

31 Jul 2017

.............and if so how basic/advanced are they?

I realise it's personal preference and subjective but im looking for ideas for maybe an all-in-one type soloution. Do you guys split up your drums by instrument and possible submix before the SSl? Do you have a differnt templates by genre? or do templates in your opinion destroy the creative blank canvas process?

pushedbutton

31 Jul 2017

I've set out to make myself many templates. They all ended up being songs.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

aeox
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2017

I just set up the bussing/routing for drums. That's pretty much my template because I would be doing that for every song anyway. Only saves me about 5 minutes or less but it's still helpful.

Wickline

31 Jul 2017

Drums routing, sends and master inserts. Also stuff for mixing like an a/b switch for mono checks.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

AttenuationHz

31 Jul 2017

pushedbutton wrote:
31 Jul 2017
I've set out to make myself many templates. They all ended up being songs.

:lol: I'm with you on that one!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Hauser+Quaid

31 Jul 2017

Wickline wrote:
31 Jul 2017
Drums routing, sends and master inserts. Also stuff for mixing like an a/b switch for mono checks.
Exactly 100% the same here.

motuscott

31 Jul 2017

All the time:
8 tracks of drumset recording (same drums on same interface and board channels)
8 tracks of drumset mixing (with comps & EQ)
I’m the drummer so the same kit and generally going for the same raw sounds every time
Guitar set up with Remote and a Nanokontrol2 (no mousing around)
Various keys with Remote and Nano
Basic starting setup with effect sends routed back to board channels and Measure loudness meter on the control room bus

I also love Blocks.
Very happy here at Reason 7
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Oquasec

01 Aug 2017

I use a blank template, every single time :]
Last edited by Oquasec on 01 Aug 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Jagwah

01 Aug 2017

Mine is almost blank, has a kick with a Euclid triggering it, and all the quirks I like already sorted out. I set a tempo and I'm off. Have had it this way for as long as I can remember and it works well for me.

selig
RE Developer

01 Aug 2017

My template contains nothing "big" (no instruments, send FX, etc) since I go in such different directions each project.
But a while back I discovered so many things could be "preset" in my Default Song "Template", like click level, Big Meter input select and meter mode, window setups, Browser state and focus, etc. And of course, the Prefs play an important role in having everything just as I want it from the start of each work session. So while it's not glamorous on any level, it's extremely functional, which is important for hitting the ground running when an idea hits you!

My setup has evolved to the following over the years:

Template:
Rack View as default view, Browser Open, set to MY REFILLS.
Big Meter On, assigned to read L/R outs, set to VU + Peak mode, VU Offset @ -12 dBFS, Audio I/O hidden.
Click level cut in about half.
Tempo left @ 120, Loop left to ON, Quantize left @ 1/16.
Side-Chain filter (via Stereo Imager) on Master Compressor (Compressor bypassed).
Selig Gain/Ozone Maximizer patched between Master Outputs and Hardware Interface (Ozone bypassed, Gain/Ozone folded and located to the left of the Master Section in the rack).
ReMark used to label "Mastering" chain and Send FX (below Mastering devices left of the Hardware Interface).

General Prefs:
Mouse Knob Range: Very Precise
Automation Cleanup: Normal
Reduce Cable Clutter: Show for Selected Devices only
Appearance: Show parameter value tooltip, Show automation indication
Default Song: Template song
CPU Usage Limit: None
Themes: Dark
Trigger notes when editing
Use multi-core audio rendering
Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

01 Aug 2017

Yes I have an ever evolving template and I couldn't imagine not having one.

I have an insanely complex Drum Combinator of Death that is individually routed to the SSL mixer channels. Every virtual instrument I own is loaded in the template and there's always several more audio channels all set up for active inputs for my hardware synths, guitar, bass and EMI. My audio interface is physically routed to itself so I can make full use of EMIs and things in my template to the fullest. I wouldn't want to have to redo the cabling every time I had a new song idea. I have some disabled effects units in place in various audio channel inserts so that I can just switch them on when I want to try out some things. I've used this same template for metal tracks as well as electronic and psychedelic tunes. The only thing that's really different between the genres is the drums. Which is why my Drum Combinator of Death is so complex. I'm using every note available on the keyboard to achieve this. I've spent a lot of time building my template and it has spawned a diverse range of sounds. Starting from scratch would be way too time consuming for me. Maybe I'm spoiled in that I recently custom built a new PC for the sole purpose of audio production. So processing power hasn't yet become an issue on my desktop or my laptop. Sometimes on my laptop when the battery is low but that's it. Template or die!

Ostermilk

01 Aug 2017

Yes.

Not one big one, several task oriented ones. Drum routings for example, if I'm on a project with a melody, chord progression etc, that are already done, I'll load up my predefined drum setups as a new project, then I can cut and paste the relevant parts of the template into the live project.

Most of my templates are set out as 'instrument sections' in a similar way. I just load 'em up and drag the bits I want into the active project.

Mr. Watts

17 Nov 2017

My custom template is as follows:

Master Section:
Insert FX - EVE MP5 with subtle low end boost and attenuation
Master out routed to Shelob Audio Splitter with one stereo out going to Reason's Sampling Input and another going to Anansi mid/side router
Both mid/side channels are routed to separate mastering combi's through the Mordred Audio Merger.
The mastering combi's are custom versions of Reason's default mastering combinator. In the Mid I have GQ-7, FRG, and Mclass Maximizer. In the side I have the same but also a Kilohearts Stereo Widener.
These are both routed back into the Mid/Side router, and that is finally sent to an Ozone Maximizer as the final device in the signal.

Next Rack (to the right of Master Section):
There are 6 mix channels that are mapped to my midi controller. The first channel has a custom drum combinator with a Kong, compressor, reverb send, and some eq. The second channel is a hi-hat combinator (for trap purposes) and the third has a drum kit from the Pink Noise Essence Refill (killer percussion sounds). The next three channels are left blank. All 6 channels are routed to a bus channel that contains a combinator with an F-16 filter and a Buffre Beat Repeater.

Next Rack (to the right):
This is my sampling/resampling section. Coming from a great love for samplers, particularly the ASR 10 and ASR X I needed to create a section in my template that recreated this function. So, I have 2 audio channels set up (also mapped to midi contoller); the first utilizes the 1 channel on my preamp, the second utilizes the 3 & 4 channels which I have my turntable hooked up to. The channel with the turntable has monitoring enabled upon startup, so that I can listen to records and sample at the click of a button. Also in this rack, underneath the two audio channels is a blank NN-19 that is routed to the bus channel in the other rack (for creative fx purposes; F-16, Buffre). This is my sampler/resampler, since I've sent a split audio signal from the master out in the master section into Reason's sampling input, any audio played through reason can be sampled or resampled at anytime.

I like to update my template pretty regularly, switching up drum samples and devices that are there on start up. This one so far is extremely useful to me in being able to create music efficiently. I think that templates are an extremely valuable and personal thing and everyone should invest some time in making Reason more unique to their needs.

123repeater

18 Nov 2017

I have a very open ended template just to start things faster and try to keep colors for instruments consistent through different projects. I only use Redrum and like to have it routed to separate mix channels and each of those to have splitters ready to go so i can easily grab extra signals to trigger side chain compression.

I also like having a Mono switch as another mentioned.

EnochLight

18 Nov 2017

Blank template for me, every time - though my default does have some insert effects in the master: Selig Gain, Kuassa Kratos 2, and Softube Tube-Tech. They're all set to BYPASS though, and I don't turn them on until I'm approaching mixdown.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Wickline

18 Nov 2017

I have recently added an auto “pump” combinator with audio splitters at the top of 5 rack widths for easy sidechain linking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

Tumble

18 Nov 2017

I've set up some synths and a Kong routed to bus groups (Drums, Bass, Poly and Pads) that have appropriate High/Low cut settings. On sends I've just placed some general-purpose reverb and delay and EQ'ed those.

Nothing on my master except a neutral Mclass chain (EQ>Stereo Imager>Brickwall)

demt

18 Nov 2017

severall abandoned templates and a list of good excuces
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Zac

18 Nov 2017

I have Selig's set-up for high pass filtering the master compressor and a bunch of reverbs with various eq chains set up as sends. I also have a limiter on the master bus but it's switched off. My mixes rarely get over -3db these days.

ProfessaKaos

18 Nov 2017

Always, have used a template since Reason 4, and update my template every few months, just updated it the other day.
Here's a picture of it, couldn't fit it all in the picture but you get the idea.
Attachments
TEMPLATE 1.JPG
TEMPLATE 1.JPG (479.93 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

Psuper

18 Nov 2017

Mine is simple and the same for 10+ years (at least until Reason officially included recording audio directly)

Piano. Microphone. 2 send effects template.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

dustmoses

18 Nov 2017

I have 5 send effects, a master routed pretty extensively, a kong with outputs routed to mixer channels and hooked up to propulsion.

dustmoses

18 Nov 2017

I also have under the master selig gain hooked up to gvx or whatever it's called (waveshaper) hooked up to vac-6.

Data_Shrine

19 Nov 2017

I have a pretty huge Rewire template file, the HW interface is almost filled up. It's how I usually use Reason. By itself I just use one of the provided template (usually empty rack with FX). But I reckon, I should make my own !

I also have a bunch of combinators for ReDrum, with a 14:2 mixer and routed effects to sends (reverb, delay, filters, saturation or Scream4).

RandyEspoda

19 Nov 2017

I use two custom templates, always one or the other.

The main template has the following :

- Master chain : Anansi mid/side router, two TB Fix_v3 EQ's set to mid and side, TB reelbus set to Glue II, TB Buscompressor, TB Barricade.
- Master section set to Control Room Out, for monitoring send returns.
- Empty combinator for having a track with automation curves in the sequencer (the automation toolbox from James Bernard), not connected
- Sidechain combinator (redrum, audio splitters), not connected
- Sonarworks Reference
- Pongasoft A/B 12 Switch with an empty audio track to load in a reference track
- 8 combinators with send fx
- Routed mix channels and combinators for drums, percussion, Basses, Synths, Transition FX, vocals
- Group Busses for drums, percussion, basses, ...
- Mclass comps in the Bass inserts, pre-set for sidechain

Usually some routings get altered along the way, and some things get left out, depending on the situation...

Another template I use is the same minus all mix channel routings, when I want to have a free canvas, like when I'm making patches and stuff, or just experimenting with things.

template.jpg
template.jpg (491.22 KiB) Viewed 2615 times

• Information