Reason cachemanager files.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
AttenuationHz

27 Jul 2017

Are these files safe do delete. I've over 3gb of them folder is located in:
C:\Users\Atten\AppData\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason\ in a sub folder to the screenshots for VST's
Cache.JPG
Cache.JPG (135.28 KiB) Viewed 6177 times
What even are they?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

EnochLight

27 Jul 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Jul 2017
C:\Users\Atten\AppData\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason\ in a sub folder to the screenshots for VST's

Cache.JPG

What even are they?
Wow - you've got over 3 GB in there??! I've only got three *.cachemanager files in my subfolder, totalling less than 1 MB of data (and I've got a lot of VST's installed).

Before deleting everything, I'd cut and paste it to a temp folder somewhere and run Reason, and test your various VST's. If everything works fine, then I'd say it's safe to delete the contents at that point.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

AttenuationHz

27 Jul 2017

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jul 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Jul 2017

Cache.JPG

What even are they?
Wow - you've got over 3 GB in there??! I've only got three *.cachemanager files in my subfolder, totalling less than 1 MB of data (and I've got a lot of VST's installed).

Before deleting everything, I'd cut and paste it to a temp folder somewhere and run Reason, and test your various VST's. If everything works fine, then I'd say it's safe to delete the contents at that point.
Ah yes thanks :thumbs_up: . Already done so after posting didn't break anything yet.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

jonheal

27 Jul 2017

That's some serious residue!

EDIT: Just checked. I have 600MB, myself. What clutter! it reminds me of our laundry room!
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

stfual

19 Feb 2018

They relate to the cache not VST. If you change the default cache location in settings they move and the VST screenshots dont. They get created whn you load a file, save and optimise or even close reason but not consistently. Sometimes when you close reason some of the files seem to get get cleaned up. I think it may be a bug that they arent all cleaning up but it may be related to the log settings. I turn all logging off. Perhaps if you never send data to Propellerhead they dont get cleared. Deleting all of them doesnt seem to affect performance or program load times and I had over 4GB in 3000 files of them so its worth checking.

Loque

19 Feb 2018

uh....gonna have a look asap.
Reason12, Win10

AttenuationHz

19 Feb 2018

have about 168mb's now and I changed the cache location at the time of posting.

EnochLight

19 Feb 2018

stfual wrote:
19 Feb 2018
They relate to the cache not VST. If you change the default cache location in settings they move and the VST screenshots dont. They get created whn you load a file, save and optimise or even close reason but not consistently. Sometimes when you close reason some of the files seem to get get cleaned up. I think it may be a bug that they arent all cleaning up but it may be related to the log settings.
No, there are no log settings. The amount of data that is cached is directly related to what you're doing inside of Reason on a regular basis. For those who tend to work with a lot of audio or extremely large projects, the cache can grow quite large - but Props have stated before that it doesn't grow any larger than 20 GB. If all you had was 4 GB, it's working as intended.

In this day and age of terabyte hard drives, the size of this cache shouldn't be a big deal to most. Deleting the contents may make opening up frequently accessed projects more time consuming, as Reason has to re-build the cache all over again and/or analyze audio in projects that have a lot of audio. Additionally, deleting the cache will make recovering a project through Props tech support problematic, if not impossible.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

aburazaru

21 May 2018

I just did a google search on this (because mine is sitting pretty at 20GB and I wanted to delete it) and it lead me here. Thanks for the education on what the hell it is and how to move it. I open almost all of my files from network storage unless I'm out in the field, so any time saved is well worth the space, but directly on the SSD is precious space. Gonna move it to the larger storage spinny drive and see if it adversely affects performance.
How was I supposed to know "don't touch" meant to not push the big...red...button?

ttttt

08 Apr 2019

I would also like to delete my cachemanager files (near 20GB at this point).

My only concern is that if I delete (or even move) the cache, I might lose VST settings in my project files. Would a synth patch with particular settings contained within a VST in a project (but not externally saved as a 'custom patch') be at risk of being reset here?

Or is this data not stored in the cache, but just in the project files themselves?

diminished
Competition Winner

08 Apr 2019

4GB here. If someone from PH could chime in and clarify if those are afe to delete, that'd be great.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

EnochLight

08 Apr 2019

ttttt wrote:
08 Apr 2019
I would also like to delete my cachemanager files (near 20GB at this point).

My only concern is that if I delete (or even move) the cache, I might lose VST settings in my project files. Would a synth patch with particular settings contained within a VST in a project (but not externally saved as a 'custom patch') be at risk of being reset here?

Or is this data not stored in the cache, but just in the project files themselves?
Device states are saved within your songfile.

diminished wrote:
08 Apr 2019
4GB here. If someone from PH could chime in and clarify if those are afe to delete, that'd be great.

This is a user-supported community and Props rarely chime into threads like these. As mentioned above (over a year ago), cut and paste the contents somewhere and test opening the projects afterwards if you’re worried. But most likely you’ll be fine (although projects with lots of data - such as audio tracks - may open slower until the cache is rebuilt).

• Information