If you switched, do you miss anything about your old Host?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
groggy1

25 Jul 2017

Hi, Reason has been my primary DAW for many years, but I always used Sonar to host VSTs.

As of the last couple months, I've completely uninstalled Sonar since Reason has full VST support now, and it's AWESOME.

But I wanted to hear if others have little things they miss about their old hosts... Here are some of the little things I miss:
1) Seemed like the perf for VSTs was a bit better (I was able to run more instances of VSTs before I got crackling)
2) Linked-clips - I *loved* how in Sonar I could make copies in clips that were "linked" (edit the original link, and all clips get the changes). I know I can sort-of use Blocks for this, but I found it easier in Sonar.

That's about all I miss. I'm sure #1 will be fixed over time in Reason, with Hyperthreading already showing some improvements...

Oquasec

25 Jul 2017

Wait for midi [FL Studio]
If in the mood for rewire I hook Reason up to either ableton or Cubase however.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Hauser+Quaid

25 Jul 2017

I've used most of the majors in recent years (still use several depending on project) PT, Cubase, Logic & Live. The only thing I miss is CPU efficiency, esp like PT and Logic. I can really pile on the plugins without rendering. With Reason I find myself bouncing to disk a lot more.

Literally everything else I prefer in Reason.

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2017

Fl studios piano roll.

That's all.

Ahornberg

26 Jul 2017

no

Oquasec

27 Jul 2017

I like hardware designed daws the most but the niggles I have for Reason are cosmetic.
Piano roll would be easier to see notes faster if you could color each note.
Studio one and Cubase's theme editor is another.
Producer/Programmer.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

29 Jul 2017

I didn't switch now but i used Cubase half a life ago, and ditched it when Record came along.

Thing is and i'm still annoyed about it, as a self recording artist i miss freaking automatic punch in/out.
And that's it. Something i believe it's possible to do with some lines of code and 2 buttons. :( I like the comp editor, but its a complete mess to work with it. Locators would be great too, but i end up using Blocks not only for composing but for navigation, making use of the keyboard and the P key (p automatically creates a loop on a selected region, placing the locators on the full song. You can use shift for multiple selections too.).

avasopht
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2017

I never feel like I have missed anything.

In 2007 I decided to go full hardware with an MPC3000 and a Korg Triton LE. It was a fantastic experience, but after a year I found myself going back to Reason.

When I went back to Reason I didn't feel like I had missed anything.

There were things I liked for sure, but when I'm working with something I tend to just flow (like water my friend ;) )

In 2013 I moved over to Logic, but after a year I played one of the last Reason tracks I made and decided to go back to Reason. On both switches I just got with it.

Sorry if it's a boring account, but that's what I think about the differences between environments. There are lots of key differences, and yet at the same time they are all extraordinarly greater experiences than when I first started making music with Cubase VST 5, soundfonts and some outboard gear, but I imagine that if I had to go back to that I'd be fine there too :)

groggy1

31 Jul 2017

avasopht wrote:
31 Jul 2017
I never feel like I have missed anything.

In 2007 I decided to go full hardware with an MPC3000 and a Korg Triton LE. It was a fantastic experience, but after a year I found myself going back to Reason.

When I went back to Reason I didn't feel like I had missed anything.

There were things I liked for sure, but when I'm working with something I tend to just flow (like water my friend ;) )

In 2013 I moved over to Logic, but after a year I played one of the last Reason tracks I made and decided to go back to Reason. On both switches I just got with it.

Sorry if it's a boring account, but that's what I think about the differences between environments. There are lots of key differences, and yet at the same time they are all extraordinarly greater experiences than when I first started making music with Cubase VST 5, soundfonts and some outboard gear, but I imagine that if I had to go back to that I'd be fine there too :)

I think what you found is similar to the experience a bunch of us have had: Reason is the best workflow for some folks, so we keep coming back to it - you should always use the DAW where you make MUSIC (not just play around with a bunch of knobs). I also left Reason for a few years to use Sonar, and I ended-up coming back since I felt like I was spending my time doing technical stuff as apposed to actually making music.

Like I said at the top of this thread, there are a couple of small things I miss from Sonar. But they're relatively small compared to the great workflow I gain by using Reason.

Iapetus 9

31 Jul 2017

I don't miss anything, because I still have it on the computer for those great old 32 bit plugins that will never see a 64 bit upgrade. I tried the Jbridge demo in Reason, and just ultimately decided to keep Studio One around for that purpose.
38L > 51D every time.

mbfrancis

01 Aug 2017

mcatalao wrote:
29 Jul 2017
I didn't switch now but i used Cubase half a life ago, and ditched it when Record came along.

Thing is and i'm still annoyed about it, as a self recording artist i miss freaking automatic punch in/out.
And that's it. Something i believe it's possible to do with some lines of code and 2 buttons. :( I like the comp editor, but its a complete mess to work with it. Locators would be great too, but i end up using Blocks not only for composing but for navigation, making use of the keyboard and the P key (p automatically creates a loop on a selected region, placing the locators on the full song. You can use shift for multiple selections too.).
I've used Sonar and PT, and I miss punch in/punch out. And yeah the comp editor can be a mess, it feels like it randomly created millions of unnecessary punch markers. Oh and you can't do multi-track comp editing (e.g., for drums). But I love reason.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

jlgrimes

01 Aug 2017

I used to use Sonar.

Sonar had some cool features for managing large projects such as:

1. Fit tracks to Window command. Reason might have something similar now with updated zooming functionality though.

2. Track Freeze.

3. Track Archive/Hide/Track Manager.

Sonar had a more advanced snapping menu (probably one of the most advanced snapping menus I've seen in a DAW). I used to love being able to snap to clip ends and relative snap.

Sonar had a more sophisticated piano Roll as well.

Props have slowly improved the piano Roll though. If they had the note mute tool, and maybe a brush tool and the ability to change snap settings with computer key bindings, I'd be in heaven.

Oquasec

02 Aug 2017

I just wish it had snap to milliseconds. I mean turning the snap off is basically that but damn lol
Producer/Programmer.

groggy1

04 Aug 2017

jlgrimes wrote:
01 Aug 2017
I used to use Sonar.

Sonar had some cool features for managing large projects such as:

1. Fit tracks to Window command. Reason might have something similar now with updated zooming functionality though.

2. Track Freeze.

3. Track Archive/Hide/Track Manager.

Sonar had a more advanced snapping menu (probably one of the most advanced snapping menus I've seen in a DAW). I used to love being able to snap to clip ends and relative snap.

Sonar had a more sophisticated piano Roll as well.

Props have slowly improved the piano Roll though. If they had the note mute tool, and maybe a brush tool and the ability to change snap settings with computer key bindings, I'd be in heaven.

Yeah, I love the track freeze in Sonar. I also agree with you that the snap is really good - being able to snap to clip ends is a must-have.

I think Piano roll is different for everyone: I never liked Sonar's piano-roll as much as i liked Reason's. My guess is that everyone gets used to a piano roll, and then expects the same exact behavior in their other DAWs. :)

DJMaytag

07 Aug 2017

Manual entry of value, especially when trimming to dual in a critical value (ie channel fader value).

• Information