sorta simple solution I am sure

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Fantom Frost

23 Jul 2017

when I am creating, I usually drag and drop instruments and let the auto routing take care of it..as the rack gets filled and sometimes I go back to some of the first I put in the rack there will be no audio..seems they are getting midi signal..my guess is the audio signal isn't going into the mixer but it seems at default the mixer never is in there at least as it use to be in earlier versions..

the other question I have is midi.. I have several different instruments that I would like to use at differs times with different instruments . but it seems all go right back to what ever is the focus.. I have right clicked and locked them to certain instruments but many times this doesn't work

my thoughts is the template I start a new project overtime is at fault..i guess since much is done behind the scenes I never bothered to learn signal routing or midi routing much past what I knew when I had to hook them up in the 80s to play together :geek:

Oquasec

23 Jul 2017

The CV system is pretty simple to get into, but difficult to master.
There's only 2 types of cv signals for this program and one type of audio cable.

The rest is research & experimentation. This is what keeps me interested in electronic music production tbh.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

AttenuationHz

23 Jul 2017

Oquasec wrote:
23 Jul 2017
The CV system is pretty simple to get into, but difficult to master.
There's only 2 types of cv signals for this program and one type of audio cable.

The rest is research & experimentation. This is what keeps me interested in electronic music production tbh.
OP is not asking anything about CV though is they?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

AttenuationHz

23 Jul 2017

Fantom Frost wrote:
23 Jul 2017
when I am creating, I usually drag and drop instruments and let the auto routing take care of it..as the rack gets filled and sometimes I go back to some of the first I put in the rack there will be no audio..seems they are getting midi signal..my guess is the audio signal isn't going into the mixer but it seems at default the mixer never is in there at least as it use to be in earlier versions..

the other question I have is midi.. I have several different instruments that I would like to use at differs times with different instruments . but it seems all go right back to what ever is the focus.. I have right clicked and locked them to certain instruments but many times this doesn't work

my thoughts is the template I start a new project overtime is at fault..i guess since much is done behind the scenes I never bothered to learn signal routing or midi routing much past what I knew when I had to hook them up in the 80s to play together :geek:
Seems like the route the audio is taking is not reaching the mixer. Trace the chained cables from instrument to mix channel if all cable connections are okay then it might be a device set to off (bypass/on/off)

In edit> preferences > Control surfaces tab make sure separated is selected.
Seperated.JPG
Seperated.JPG (66.3 KiB) Viewed 846 times
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Gorgon

23 Jul 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
23 Jul 2017

OP is not asking anything about CV though is they?
That's what he likes to do. Answer questions that haven't been asked.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

ejanuska

24 Jul 2017

I thought one of the OPs issues was just tossing synths in a combinator and letting the auto routing do the patches, which may cause some of the synths to not receive MIDI. Also if the synths aren't running to a sub-mixer in the combinator, only one synth output will be sent to the mix channel.

Another issue could be that the auto-routing does things differently depending on where you drop an instrument. You can't just toss stuff around in the rack like it's a magic musical cauldron.

If that last time you connected anything together was the 80s I must tell you that there is not a "MIDI" cable to patch in Reason. I know this because I looked for them in the rack when I first started with Reason, they don't exist. There is a "Receive MIDI" check box associated with instruments in the programming section of a parent combinator. If that statement blows your mind I suggest reading the manual a little.

I think AttenuationHZ covered the locking situation.

Fantom Frost

26 Jul 2017

Thanks for the response. Yes hooking a physical cable using midi was the last time. Ill try the suggestions. I am not at my keyboard but im pretty sure i have it set to auto route so possible this is one of the causes

• Information