need something portable to compliment reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
wentzelitis

11 Jul 2017

i love reason but i want something that i can create music with in my bed, in the living room, or at a friends house.. then bring it back to my computer and import it into reason and add more stuff to it there. i make electronic /experimental music and i was looking at the volca sample but i'm unsure how well this would work.. same with the mpc .. am i looking in the wrong direction here? any ideas? thanks!

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2017

a laptop?

wentzelitis

11 Jul 2017

aeox wrote:
11 Jul 2017
a laptop?
something more portable.. more creative and expressive with a hands on hardware feel . sure i could bring my laptop into my bed , or to my friends house , but i'd also have to bring my audio interface, and my midi controller, etc . even without that stuff a laptop is still kind of clunky to use . i want one small piece of equipment that i can just easily create music on .. more so ideas than final products.. but that i could also import into reason to work on and develop . i realize what i'm looking for is not going to replace my daw or a computer or even be as good as a laptop. i just want something easy and fun and portable for when i'm not on my computer at home to get some creative juices flowing

pushedbutton

11 Jul 2017

kaossilator?
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2017

mm, i've never used anything like that before.

have you checked out anything from this company? https://www.critterandguitari.com/

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2017

this is 175

Oquasec

12 Jul 2017

I use Caustic on android for that
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

4filegate

12 Jul 2017

10 hours on the road with a car and the co-driver play with all the sounds using a CME Xkey

The Xkey keyboard controller is a great balance between old and new technology. The model I have has a standard "old fashioned" midi out and goes by multi-output devices to CME WaveIdea Bitstream 3x (as well as USB), and even a footpedal jack.
Not too many computer-type midi controllers have that with poly aftertouch capability. But the best thing is the flat, yet realistic keyboard Mania.

Heater

12 Jul 2017

Sounds like the OP would wants one of these.

or maybe one of these

ejanuska

12 Jul 2017

The new MPC Live?
http://www.akaipro.com/products/mpc-series/mpc-live
Kind pricey....

Don't get a MASCHINE or Jam by NI, you need a computer to use it.

OP-1 looks cool but, for the money you might as well go with MPC Live, you're already in for $900 at that point, whats another $300?

Electribe? Never owned one, seems to meet the criteria and not too pricey.

Here is something new that looks cool.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CircuitMono

Also the Electron Digikat is another thing that might be what your looking for.

Revise

12 Jul 2017

I would suggest getting an Ipad. Instead of doing one thing, you can download as many apps as you like and export the audio to Reason. The new Beatmaker 3 is coming on July 15th, which looks great as well. :)

joeyluck

12 Jul 2017

wentzelitis wrote:
11 Jul 2017
aeox wrote:
11 Jul 2017
a laptop?
something more portable.. more creative and expressive with a hands on hardware feel . sure i could bring my laptop into my bed , or to my friends house , but i'd also have to bring my audio interface, and my midi controller, etc . even without that stuff a laptop is still kind of clunky to use . i want one small piece of equipment that i can just easily create music on .. more so ideas than final products.. but that i could also import into reason to work on and develop . i realize what i'm looking for is not going to replace my daw or a computer or even be as good as a laptop. i just want something easy and fun and portable for when i'm not on my computer at home to get some creative juices flowing
Well with a laptop you can use the on-screen keys. And with Player devices, it's even easier to create music with the on-screen keys. And then you just use built-in speakers or headphone out. I work with my MacBook Air in bed all the time.

But of course, I realize this isn't what you are looking for. And I understand as I have several gadgets myself!

The Volcas are awesome. I have the Volca Bass and can't recommend it enough. Not only portable, but a great sounding analog piece of hardware to add to your setup. The step sequencer is straight forward and it also has MIDI in (5-pin) to incorporate another controller when you are at you computer with Reason.

The Teenage Engineering pocket operators are also great. I have the PO-14 sub and it's fun. But the real value right now is in the PO-32 Tonic; a collaboration with Sonic Charge. You can transfer sounds easily between it and the Microtonic VST.

Even an iPad might be a great tool to have for playing in bed. Just not as tactile. Maybe an iPad and a Roll Seaboard Block (works Bluetooth).

joeyluck

12 Jul 2017

And I can't forget some of older gear that I still play with while sitting in bed.
Which happens to be signed by two Beastie Boys :puf_smile:
61237_764799917863_3935661_n.jpg
61237_764799917863_3935661_n.jpg (68.33 KiB) Viewed 4592 times

selig
RE Developer

12 Jul 2017

Plus 1 for Heater's OP1 suggestion, or if you have an iPad try Kord Gadget (or countless others for iPad). :)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

aeox
Competition Winner

12 Jul 2017

Surface Pro 4? xD I use to use one as a laptop replacement for music production back when I started back 2 years ago.

Edit: or a Surface Pro 1, they are like 250 USD used.

Exowildebeest

12 Jul 2017

Based on the opening post an iPad seems the best recommendation. Very portable and by far the most capabilities.

Edit: of course there's the Microsoft Surface, but I'm not sure how well that works in practice - it may be underpowered for fullblown Windows 10 DAWs, and awkward with touch controls. Surface may just feel like a half-arsed version of a home studio, while the iPad has a proven history of fantastic, unique and well designed audio apps.

Revise

12 Jul 2017

The other great thing about the iPad is the battery lasts for a long time, longer than a laptop or other gear. The MPC live looks great sure, as is the OP1, but the iPad can do a lot more than both and is way cheaper. You won't regret getting one.

wentzelitis

13 Jul 2017

thanks for all the suggestions!! the op-1 , ipad, volca sample, and electribe seem to intrigue me the most. too bad the op-1 is so expensive that thing looks great. and since it's not connected to my computer i would really prefer physical controls which is a con for the ipad. also i'm really trying to spend a few hundred max . never even thought about an ipad tbh but i'll definitely look more into one of those and probably pick up a volca sample in the meantime.

4filegate

13 Jul 2017

I never use smartphone or tablet apps for MIDI. I do most of my production and composing in the bedroom-studio Workstation.
And on travels, I do all my programming and music production on my laptop Ultrabook using a physical midi controller.

Been searching for months for a midi keyboard controller with advanced features. Hope this helps you make an educated decision.

https://roli.com/products/blocks/

https://www.play-joue.com/news/

http://www.cme-pro.com/

O1B

17 Jul 2017

i want something that i can create music with in my bed, in the living room, or at a friends house

I hear ya. I have been after that for a while now.
Drums, Bass, Synth, Groove, done... back to the Nimitz class setup.
- It should have an 808, 909, 707, or whatever Drum Kit I want to USE.
- It should make BASS, and SYNTH sounds/ wave choices for certain "moods"
- It should sample.. (SD, mic, Line)
- It should be small enough to fit in my lap.
- It should SEQUENCE any DrumMachine (MIDI) or USB(OS/iOS), or even send CV and GATE to outboard Synths.
- It should run on Batteries, or off a Guitar Pedal Power (C-Neg), or via USB
- It should STEP SEQUENCE - as MANY TRACKS as I want - for AS LONG as I want (screw 16, 32 )
It should Run Backwards. forwards, allow different steps per track, even different resolutions per track (triplets)
- DJ-style On Board Effects per track/multi-track
- Easy to NAVIGATE
- Internal Speaker... maybe
- It Should have a Pretty Mouth... or, at least a nice splash of color to keep my ADHD riveted.

OP-1 - A lil Old... for what's possible at $1100
Electribe 2 - A Good Choice, iOS, battery.
Digitakt - pushes your sonics..
Octatrack 2.0 a lil big for bed.

I present the Deluge by Synthstrom: (12" x8" x2") All features listed above are included. Battery, "unlimited" tracks and steps. guitar (piano soon) fret tuning. playable on a wide octave range. Super competent step sequencer.
Fresh from NEW ZEALAND to AMERICA for $899 + Dust Cover $60 + Shipping $55 = ~$1015.

You should look into it...

https://synthstrom.com/product/deluge#overview
Deluge is our flagship product. Three years in the making, it is an all-in-one, stand-alone, portable synthesizer, sequencer and sampler designed for the creation, performance and improvisation of electronic music.
Order today and your Deluge will be shipped on August 22nd, 2017. (July 31st batch is full)
wentzelitis wrote:
11 Jul 2017
i love reason but i want something that i can create music with in my bed, in the living room, or at a friends house.. then bring it back to my computer and import it into reason and add more stuff to it there. i make electronic /experimental music and i was looking at the volca sample but i'm unsure how well this would work.. same with the mpc .. am i looking in the wrong direction here? any ideas? thanks!
Last edited by O1B on 13 Aug 2017, edited 1 time in total.

sublunar

20 Jul 2017

Oquasec wrote:
12 Jul 2017
Bumping this thread just to second this. Caustic is awesome. I made a groove on it and in a short amount of time re-created it in Reason. I hate touch-screens but this app works surprisingly well even on my small screen.

Honestly I wish Propellerheads would buy Caustic and re-release it as a mobile version of Reason. The way they have it laid out is probably about as good as you could get a powerful mobile app to be.

Oquasec

20 Jul 2017

sublunar wrote:
20 Jul 2017
Oquasec wrote:
12 Jul 2017
Bumping this thread just to second this. Caustic is awesome. I made a groove on it and in a short amount of time re-created it in Reason. I hate touch-screens but this app works surprisingly well even on my small screen.

Honestly I wish Propellerheads would buy Caustic and re-release it as a mobile version of Reason. The way they have it laid out is probably about as good as you could get a powerful mobile app to be.
They really should just absorb the caustic guy at this point, that way they could focus less on figure.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

soroc sosta

23 Jul 2017

Oquasec wrote:
12 Jul 2017
This! :thumbs_up:

messy-jesse

23 Jul 2017

I second the deluge or op1.

Problem with the op1, there is lack of midi functioanlity and the different sequencers are kinda wonky imo. Wish there was a micro SD port option and audio/midi recording.

Super fun to toy with though. This thing will force you to be creative.

I don't own the deluge yet but when I do I believe it will be the perfect partner with the op1.

messy-jesse.com

Last edited by messy-jesse on 23 Jul 2017, edited 2 times in total.

O1B

13 Aug 2017

I hope you ordered. I should've given more blood and ordered 2.

We are currently SOLD OUT and all pre-orders are filled up. Thanks everybody.
Add yourself to our wait-list below and we’ll let you know when orders are available again.

messy-jesse wrote:
23 Jul 2017
I second the deluge or op1.

Problem with the op1, there is lack of midi functioanlity and the different sequencers are kinda wonky imo. Wish there was a micro SD port option and audio/midi recording.

Super fun to toy with though. This thing will force you to be creative.

I don't own the deluge yet but when I do I believe it will be the perfect partner with the op1.
messy-jesse.com

• Information