Hyperthreading Support

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
swamptooth

06 Jul 2017

So for years I've seen this contentiously debated in the old PUF and on this forum. Staunch supporters on both sides voiced support of implementation or opposition to. I've seen people decide to build i5 systems instead of i7 because of the lack of support for HT in Reason. I've been involved in a handful of these discussions - mainly as a proponent of HT. I, on the other hand, wasn't a proponent of enabling VST support in Reason and am still a bit on the fence about it.
Seemingly overnight, both things happen. I'm wondering where everybody else is with this. I'd like to know, especially from the people who have recently built i5 systems specifically because of the lack of HT support, how everybody feels.
These were very HOT topics for so long, and I've seen tempers flare on both sides to the point I really couldn't quite grasp.
Feedback? Anyone feel vindicated? Anyone feel sold out (for lack of a better term)?

DJMaytag

06 Jul 2017

Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about, re: HT and i5's vs i7's.

I'm glad Reason is supporting VST's. I had been sitting here contemplating going DAW-less and moving back to hardware sequencing and recording like I had in the 90's, or learning a new DAW (Cubase is a mess and I really didn't want to try to learn Ableton). So Reason 9.5 has been a god-send, as I can use everything I'd been using before plus no longer have to dink around with Rewiring things into another DAW.

CephaloPod

07 Jul 2017

Don't like VST? Don't use them. Don't like hyper-threading for some reason? Turn it off. Spent slightly less on an i5 instead of an i7 because you gambled that Reason would never support hyper-threading and now you are angry? I doubt this applies to anyone, but if it does, they need to get outside more and get some exercise. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Climb a mountain, maybe. Visit a dairy to see how cheese is made. SHAKE THINGS UP!
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

Raveshaper

07 Jul 2017

From what I can tell from my own gut feelings, changes in the economic landscape increased the need for people to make wise investments and Reason, which has historically changed very little and advanced very slowly, did not seem like a wise investment any more; even for people who were loyal to it.

Basically, it does appear that it no longer became viable to publicly say that "we won't offer you what you'll find elsewhere" and expect people to buy into the different mindset. The perception of innovation, modern relevance, and increased value over time proved to be the driving motivators of investment in the competition and nearly cost PH its ability to continue.

So, they had to right the ship. Starting with everything they said they would never do for no reason other than "this is Reason".

Possibly it was due to shortages in manpower. I find it hard to believe a software application like this could be brought to the world by, perhaps, only one person. Whatever the case may be, these additions of things we have asked for over the course of nearly 20 years with no head way do seem very fast and almost effortless. Not small changes either but significant advancements.

My own feeling, after all is considered, is that I feel like someone who has been $129 a pop for a tiny room full of guys to go on vacation year round for the past almost 10 years. And, surprise, that feeling doesn't inspire me to stick around.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

CephaloPod

07 Jul 2017

Anyway, there have been several multi-page threads on this topic. Not sure why we need another one. Because hyper-threading? Big deal.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

Ostermilk

07 Jul 2017

swamptooth wrote:
06 Jul 2017
So for years I've seen this contentiously debated in the old PUF and on this forum. Staunch supporters on both sides voiced support of implementation or opposition to. I've seen people decide to build i5 systems instead of i7 because of the lack of support for HT in Reason. I've been involved in a handful of these discussions - mainly as a proponent of HT. I, on the other hand, wasn't a proponent of enabling VST support in Reason and am still a bit on the fence about it.
Seemingly overnight, both things happen. I'm wondering where everybody else is with this. I'd like to know, especially from the people who have recently built i5 systems specifically because of the lack of HT support, how everybody feels.
These were very HOT topics for so long, and I've seen tempers flare on both sides to the point I really couldn't quite grasp.
Feedback? Anyone feel vindicated? Anyone feel sold out (for lack of a better term)?
LOL.

I sold my UAD system about a year before VST's turned up becuase it didn't get used much and I saved £100 against the i7 alternative by buying an i5 being aware then Reason didn't support HT.

Not being able to predict the future they were the right decisions at the time. Those are the breaks with tech stuff.

I don't feel vindicated or sold out though, as I built a PC that was perfectly adequate and tailored for my needs and budget, it still works to the original specification I made for it, I also got nice bit of cash back on the UAD stuff to spend on some more cost-effective native alternatives to the UAD VST's.

C'est la vie!

dioxide

07 Jul 2017

Ostermilk wrote:
07 Jul 2017
Not being able to predict the future they were the right decisions at the time.
That is exactly the answer to any questions raised in this thread.

If you don't know what is coming then you have to make the best decision you can with the information you have, at the time. Having bought a specific computer for Reason still means you can sell it and put the money towards something else if you think that is the right thing to do.

Biolumin3sc3nt

07 Jul 2017

dioxide... I can't help but laugh anytime I see Your Avatar! Hugh Mungus for the WIN!

dioxide

07 Jul 2017

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
07 Jul 2017
dioxide... I can't help but laugh anytime I see Your Avatar! Hugh Mungus for the WIN!
:D Mission accomplished.

inequals

12 Jul 2018

Good News Everyone!

Just installed 10.13.6, seems the issue is resolved! Go Go Go! (after having backed up obv)

inequals

12 Jul 2018

oop, no, I was wrong. Sorry. I think this is Prop's thing to solve

• Information