Reason 9.5.1 now available!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
eusti

09 Jul 2017

joeyluck wrote:
08 Jul 2017
aeox wrote:
08 Jul 2017
Ok, so I opened up a really heavy project (all of mine are) that had just barely been under 100% DSP use before the update, just enough to get me by without glitches and crackles. Now, the same project is completely unplayable no matter if I have HT on or off.

This is unfortunate, how do I roll back to the previous version?

CPUS: Dual Xeon E5-2670s 16c/32t
I'm having similar issues on macOS 10.12.5
Luckily the previous version is still available for download.

https://www.propellerheads.se/en/reason/updates

[EDIT] sorry missed the reply above that already answered this
Same issues here. Crap! :(

D.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

09 Jul 2017

tobypearce wrote:
09 Jul 2017
Carly I take the spirit of your comment. Music's more important than system for sure.

Still: hyper threading is new for Reason. I have an an oldish laptop and often come up against dsp limits. If there were a couple of workflow suggestions that could help, I'd listen. I'm not interested in what's better for my system per se; but I am interested in anything that can keep me in the flow of creation without hitting buffers.

And of course I don't worry about hyper-threading before I perform a search. (I hope no-one does!) Music making is the only thing I do that seriously taxes my computer. Music making is more important to me than geekery, but the computer and Reason are my tools and it makes sense to invest a little time - now and again - to understanding how to work with those tools most efficiently.

I'd still be interested in an answer to the question.
The simple answer is when you start to come close to limits is to bounce some tracks.

Sticking to stock devices can help as they have such a low overhead.

Think about what devices you are using and where, could be that you could move some to the master insert or send and remove them from multiple channels etc.

I have a monitoring chain (Flowers, Skope, G7, VAC-6, Selig Gain, Spektrum) and when I'm close to the limit just by clasping or turning it off has help, however I remember with the ReasonTalk Benchmark test, I did collapse all the devices in that but it did not impact my results.

Unison can eat up your DSP and again with some device I have turned it off for the RE and used the stock UN-16 instead..

I sure others will come up with plenty of other options..

PoohBear
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Music made with Reason
(Electronic) Into The Night
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
(Electronic) 5 Steps (Video added) Updated
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wendylou

09 Jul 2017

ProfessaKaos wrote:
08 Jul 2017
wendylou wrote:
08 Jul 2017
So I did some tests: Toggling HT on and off in past projects, I'm finding that some songs benefit from Hyperthreading and some overload the DSP sooner, also indicated by crackle and even the "Computer to Slow" message. As Propellerhead indicated, HT benefits more when you have a lot of parallel channels and such. So depending on how many serial devices you have, combined with how many parallel channels you have in any given song , it would seem that Hyperthreading will help or not help on a song-by-song basis. I don't think one can just blankly decide to leave it "on" or "off" forever after some initial tests. It seems to help or hinder depending on the sum total of how many serial and parallel paths there are for each unique song. IMHO, be prepared to test whether it will help or hinder each song you work on.
So do Bus tracks ruin the parallel theory? Because multiple channels get summed to 2.
Summing to two channels makes no difference regarding Hyperthreading. What matters is how many serial devices and how many parallel channels are present. Hyperthreading helps process the parallel stuff, not serial stuff. What's interesting to see with Hyperthreading is how the DSP can become worse in some songs depending on the amount of serial devices despite the presence of parallel channels. Puzzling.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

fieldframe
RE Developer

09 Jul 2017

This doesn’t seem to be affected by hyperthreading per se, but has anyone noticed that some VSTs seem to use more DSP than Reason's meter shows? The Arturia V Collection seems to spin up my laptop fans noticeably faster than any REs do at one bar, and with hyperthreading on, I've gotten crackles at 3 bars.

Hauser+Quaid

09 Jul 2017

Been working all weekend and I'm really impressed with how Reason now handles projects in general. I can throw a lot more at it without stuttering and I can render my final mix internally in realtime without glitches (that was impossible a few weeks ago).

As others have reported, some of my older files with lots of Combinators don't work as well and often glitch quicker, or glitch at all even though they didn't used to. A couple audio bounces and we're back on track though.

The graphics response is still atrocious though. Yes my Mac is a bit older but geez. Just for fun I loaded up Serum in Live just to watch how smooth the waveforms moved when I set an LFO -> WT position :lol:

AttenuationHz

09 Jul 2017

Hauser+Quaid wrote:
09 Jul 2017
Been working all weekend and I'm really impressed with how Reason now handles projects in general. I can throw a lot more at it without stuttering and I can render my final mix internally in realtime without glitches (that was impossible a few weeks ago).

As others have reported, some of my older files with lots of Combinators don't work as well and often glitch quicker, or glitch at all even though they didn't used to. A couple audio bounces and we're back on track though.

The graphics response is still atrocious though. Yes my Mac is a bit older but geez. Just for fun I loaded up Serum in Live just to watch how smooth the waveforms moved when I set an LFO -> WT position :lol:
The graphics response is much worse I thought. Only slightly though.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Galaxy

09 Jul 2017

OT about HT, does Reason look at actual parallel channels as a serial chain because the parallel output on mixer channel is feeding the input of the parallel channel? So if you have an output group for your drums and create a bunch of parallel channels for the sub group does each parallel channel act like an actual parallel channel or a serial connection in the eyes of HT?

satyr32

09 Jul 2017

In some other threads I warned about the bad performance in Reason of the 2016 Macbook Pros (4000$) and that the 2014 models with lower Ghz (2000$) perform better. Now I have to say I am very pleased, depening on the project the performance has alomst doubled. For example the benchmark test file did now go to 1 minute instead of 30 seconds. The stuttering we mac users have to deal with happens later than usual. Very happy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

tronam

09 Jul 2017

satyr32 wrote:
09 Jul 2017
...The stuttering we mac users have to deal with happens later than usual. Very happy.
Raw performance aside, this was one of the most important improvements for me; audio stability, at least on my i7 based macOS system. The stutters/pops/clicks used to kick in far earlier and now only starts doing so as the DSP bars get into the red.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

Hauser+Quaid

09 Jul 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
09 Jul 2017
Oddly, the Kramer Waves plugins I bought when they were on sale last week look & respond amazing. The ballistics of the meters is super smooth & the controls respond as you would expect them to. Really strange, that out of all the plugins and REs I have that ONE plugin would respond & look almost perfect. I don't get it.

Zac

09 Jul 2017

tronam wrote:
09 Jul 2017
satyr32 wrote:
09 Jul 2017
...The stuttering we mac users have to deal with happens later than usual. Very happy.
Raw performance aside, this was one of the most important improvements for me; audio stability, at least on my i7 based macOS system. The stutters/pops/clicks used to kick in far earlier and now only starts doing so as the DSP bars get into the red.
You get red DSP bars?

AttenuationHz

10 Jul 2017

Hauser+Quaid wrote:
09 Jul 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
09 Jul 2017
Oddly, the Kramer Waves plugins I bought when they were on sale last week look & respond amazing. The ballistics of the meters is super smooth & the controls respond as you would expect them to. Really strange, that out of all the plugins and REs I have that ONE plugin would respond & look almost perfect. I don't get it.
Same with the FabFilter plug-ins and they are graphically driven but respond* better than most do 0 latency. Down to how they integrate into reason.
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 10 Jul 2017, edited 2 times in total.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Hauser+Quaid

10 Jul 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
10 Jul 2017
Same with the FabFilter plug-ins and they are graphically driven but resound better than most do 0 latency. Down to how they integrate into reason.
Ha you're right! I just downloaded a demo of Q2 and it's smooth as silk. Gave me an idea: I loaded Serum up inside Maschine in Reason and guess what? The graphics & response were super smooth there too!

Very strange :wtf:

Hopefully this can be fixed somehow.

ProfessaKaos

10 Jul 2017

wendylou wrote:
09 Jul 2017
ProfessaKaos wrote:
08 Jul 2017

So do Bus tracks ruin the parallel theory? Because multiple channels get summed to 2.
Summing to two channels makes no difference regarding Hyperthreading. What matters is how many serial devices and how many parallel channels are present. Hyperthreading helps process the parallel stuff, not serial stuff. What's interesting to see with Hyperthreading is how the DSP can become worse in some songs depending on the amount of serial devices despite the presence of parallel channels. Puzzling.
Thanks for your response Wendy. This is puzzling as in all cases I get worse performance with HT enabled.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

KIKBAK1

11 Jul 2017

I may roll back to Reason 9.5. This upgrade isn't beneficial to me at this time.
KIKBAK1.com

jappe

11 Jul 2017

ProfessaKaos wrote:
10 Jul 2017
wendylou wrote:
09 Jul 2017

Thanks for your response Wendy. This is puzzling as in all cases I get worse performance with HT enabled.
Hello ProfessaKaos,

what are your CPU and GPU temperatures with and without HT?

tiker01

11 Jul 2017

KIKBAK1 wrote:
11 Jul 2017
I may roll back to Reason 9.5. This upgrade isn't beneficial to me at this time.
You could just disable the hyper threading instead. That should give you how 9.5.0 worked.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Heater

11 Jul 2017

I might be the odd man out here but I've noticed a huge improvement with my 2015 i5 MacBook pro. No more cracks and pops from the audio. It's working as I hoped it would be.

ProfessaKaos

12 Jul 2017

jappe wrote:
11 Jul 2017
ProfessaKaos wrote:
10 Jul 2017

Hello ProfessaKaos,

Idle (No programs running)
CPU: 37°C GPU: 25°C

Multicore only (Reason playing a full session/song through twice)
CPU: 41°C GPU: 25°C

Multicore + HT (Reason playing a full session/song through twice)
CPU: 50°C GPU: 26°C
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

jappe

12 Jul 2017

ProfessaKaos wrote:
12 Jul 2017
jappe wrote:
11 Jul 2017

Hello ProfessaKaos,

Idle (No programs running)
CPU: 37°C GPU: 25°C

Multicore only (Reason playing a full session/song through twice)
CPU: 41°C GPU: 25°C

Multicore + HT (Reason playing a full session/song through twice)
CPU: 50°C GPU: 26°C
ok no CPU throttling due to high temperature for sure!
I guess you must have a really good cooling system to get that low temperature if the CPU is fully utilized!

cosignsessions

12 Jul 2017

Macbook Pro user here and I held off upgrading to 9.5 because it did not support hyperthreading. 9.5.1 upgrade made this an instant buy. Thanks Props!

AttenuationHz

12 Jul 2017

cosignsessions wrote:
12 Jul 2017
Macbook Pro user here and I held off upgrading to 9.5 because it did not support hyperthreading. 9.5.1 upgrade made this an instant buy. Thanks Props!
I felt like that with 9 just players being added really and bug fixes. VST's and now Hyperthreading change everything. The bug fixes should be across the board for updates though as a free update to that version. Meaning if you stuck to 8.3.2 like I did when 9 was released there should have been an update to fix the bugs that 9 fixed for 8 if possible. Paying for bug fixes more so with 9 for me because players did not really do anything for me.

stevan

13 Jul 2017

since 9.5.1 I experience a really ugly graphic/gui crackling, after opening a new song or the Reason app itself . The screen is for 500 milliseconds totally defragmented . Looks like a digital Pollock picture ... bad :( How can I go back to 9.5 ? :puf_unhappy:

iMac 10.11 Balance

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2017

stevan wrote:
13 Jul 2017
since 9.5.1 I experience a really ugly graphic/gui crackling, after opening a new song or the Reason app itself . The screen is for 500 milliseconds totally defragmented . Looks like a digital Pollock picture ... bad :( How can I go back to 9.5 ? :puf_unhappy:

iMac 10.11 Balance
You can install 9.5 from here https://www.propellerheads.se/download/reason95/

CephaloPod

13 Jul 2017

KIKBAK1 wrote:
11 Jul 2017
Why would you do that? Just turn off hyper threading. According to the props, there are other optimizations that this update accomplishes, and I imagine, a few bug fixes.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

• Information