Reason 9.5.1 now available!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
WongoTheSane

07 Jul 2017

DJMaytag wrote:
07 Jul 2017
How do you turn Hyperthreading on and off? Is this a Reason setting or a BIOS setting?
It's in the Preferences:
ht.PNG
ht.PNG (46.72 KiB) Viewed 4355 times

spikey

07 Jul 2017

esselfortium wrote:
07 Jul 2017
spikey wrote:
06 Jul 2017

Well ok then, it's not an "overall Reason performance problem" (for Reason), but it IS affecting UAD plugins specifically. How that? :roll: No matter how it's worded Reason still buggers up UAD plugins even after the last patch, and (as I stated) these same plugins work fine in Logic X and Cubase 9. Im sure they will eventally fix it, but right now it's still broken and not on the UAD side.
Please read what I said instead of rolling your eyes at something you've decided you want to hear. It's not an "overall Reason performance problem," in that it relates specifically to something Propellerhead needs to fix about their handling of these plugins. It doesn't affect other plugins in general, so it's not an overall problem, but one relating specifically to Reason not playing nicely with some functionality UAD is making use of. That's literally all I said. I wasn't shifting the blame to UAD, just clarifying.
Ok, but I don't need clarifications. I just need it to work right. :puf_bigsmile: :lol: But on the UAD side of things (other synths seem to work ok) your explanation/argument/excuse to me is, This is a brand new Porche 911 with no tires. Overall there are no performance problems with tires in general, its just has issues going down certain roads right now... Put tires on it, is all I'm Sayin :lol:
Last edited by spikey on 07 Jul 2017, edited 2 times in total.

chimp_spanner

07 Jul 2017

DJMaytag wrote:
07 Jul 2017
How do you turn Hyperthreading on and off? Is this a Reason setting or a BIOS setting?
Just go to options :)

DJMaytag

07 Jul 2017

Will that require a Reason restart to see any difference? I thought I messed with that and didn't see any difference, and assumed that "rendering" was more for the final mixdown/export to two-track and not a real-time thing.

chimp_spanner

07 Jul 2017

DJMaytag wrote:
07 Jul 2017
Will that require a Reason restart to see any difference? I thought I messed with that and didn't see any difference, and assumed that "rendering" was more for the final mixdown/export to two-track and not a real-time thing.
No you can turn it on or off while a song is playing! I believe the feature used to be available using a "secret" key combination. Now it's an official feature. So best thing is to just play the song on loop, then turn the two options on/off and observe the changes. It seems as though different computers and different plugins will react differently so you just gotta find what works best for you!

chimp_spanner

07 Jul 2017

Aw mayne, yeah I'm definitely getting a little weird behavior. My Ctrl+ shortcuts go unresponsive after a while, and I can use F5-7 but not 8. When I close Reason and try to restart it, I can't open it until I open task manager and kill the Reason process. I'm gonna try and work with the new options disabled for a while and see if that makes a difference!

Tenbrink

07 Jul 2017

Hello!

Not new to Reason but new here. I don't really understand the technicalities of hyperthreading but I want to ask a theoretical question to see if I might understand how it works in practice:

I very often use 2-3 Thors in a combinator because why not and then connect each Thor to a Line Mixer 6:2 connected to the Combinators "From Devices" and the Combinator to a Mix channel, or the 6:2 straight to a Mix channel just to get one control in the SSL mixer and then I adjust the Thor levels in the 6:2. Would a more hyperthreading optimized method be to route each Thor to it's own SSL Mix channel? I do like the SSL but my projects often reach above 30+ channels with many of these multiple synth combinators. If I'd route every synth to a Mix channel I'd probably more often be at around 40+ channels. Is sending 3 Thors to a 6:2 and then to ONE Mix channel less parallel than 3 Thors to 3 Mix channels?

And also, let's say I want the same plate reverb for 8 Mix channels, what is the most hyperthreading optimized method:
1. Use ONE RV7000 and send all Mix channels to it?
2. Use 8 RV7000's with the same settings, one for each Mix channel?

Have a nice weekend!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

07 Jul 2017

DJMaytag wrote:
07 Jul 2017
Under Preferences\General in Reason.

At a PC level in the bios, but most PC's would have this turned on as default, in windows you can clearly see it in Task Manager , would say something like Cores 4, Logical processors 8 (under performance).. If you have more Logical than Cores then you have hyper-threading enabled

tronam

07 Jul 2017

Interesting. This update had a significant impact not only on general performance for me, but also audio stability. In all the projects I've tested before and after I'm seeing half as many DSP bars or even better at lower latencies. Also, for quite some time now on both El Capitan and Sierra when the bars would get into the 50-60% range I would experience occasional random pops or clicks during live playback, even when running at relatively large buffers sizes like 512. This was especially true if the rack was visible featuring devices with active LEDs/meters or other visualization. These are completely gone now, even at small buffers like 64 samples and the DSP bars aren't increasing like they used to. This is probably the biggest performance optimization I've ever seen in Reason, although with an Intel i7 I'm probably the best case scenario for these improvements.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

DJMaytag

07 Jul 2017

Turning off HT seems to make it slightly worse, and turning off multi-core obviously makes it horrible.

I'm on MacOS, so I don't have Task Manager, but the Activity Monitor shows heavy use on two of the threads (1 & 3) but not nearly as much on the other two (2 & 4).

tumar

07 Jul 2017

I made many tests on my two Macs and can't find any rule. Sometimes HT helps (or doesn't harm), but much more times turning on HT make things worse (crackling or quicken "computer too slow", even when I spread my project over many tracks). So I have mixed feelings, but rather I keep it turned off.

selig
RE Developer

07 Jul 2017

tumar wrote:I'm back.
1. iMac 27" i7 3.5 ghz (Maverick) - after two restarts and permissions-repair everything sounds fine, no crackles, one bar CPU with huge pads etc.
2. Macbook Pro 15" 2015 i7 2.2 ghz (El Capitan) - this is f*** incredible! Wow, just wow! Tested with Kategra's "R8 Benchmark 44.100" file. Reason 9.5: "Computer too slow to play song" at 0:00:38:081. Reason 9.5.1 with HT switched on: stopped at 0:01:01:579 !!!

EDIT: But still Macbook Pro is pitifully weak to run new Reason for live gigging. Two-three NI Massive patches in Combinator and crackling, crackling...
I have a similar iMac and only get 3-4 seconds with the heavy test file with the latest version of Reason. Got only 1 second with the previous version of Reason. Must be a different iMac or I'm doing something very wrong…

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

CephaloPod

07 Jul 2017

selig wrote:
07 Jul 2017
1. iMac 27" i7 3.5 ghz (Maverick) - after two restarts and permissions-repair everything sounds fine, no crackles, one bar CPU with huge pads etc.
2. Macbook Pro 15" 2015 i7 2.2 ghz (El Capitan) - this is f*** incredible! Wow, just wow! Tested with Kategra's "R8 Benchmark 44.100" file. Reason 9.5: "Computer too slow to play song" at 0:00:38:081. Reason 9.5.1 with HT switched on: stopped at 0:01:01:579 !!!

EDIT: But still Macbook Pro is pitifully weak to run new Reason for live gigging. Two-three NI Massive patches in Combinator and crackling, crackling...
I have a similar iMac and only get 3-4 seconds with the heavy test file with the latest version of Reason. Got only 1 second with the previous version of Reason. Must be a different iMac or I'm doing something very wrong…

He's using the R8 benchmark file (the older one).
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

SA Studio

07 Jul 2017

Nice job on VST implementation and the early attempts at HT fixes and optimizations. There's a few easy things I wish were added to this point update, myself:

Bypass button for a VST window.
Easy, simple, audio crossfading like DAWs had in 2004. (Seriously = Having to make a crossfade in the Editing window is really, REALLY, REALLY not optimal and is painful for a simple task - fix it)
Fader grouping = Click multiple faders and move them at the same time.

These are very easy things to implement. Hopefully the new investors also see the merit in including these very simple to add features. Adding simple things like this shouldn't be so hard.

AttenuationHz

07 Jul 2017

DJMaytag wrote:
07 Jul 2017
Edit > Preferences > General Tab at the end in Miscellaneous

It is a reason setting but if Hyper threading is not enabled in the bios it has to be enabled.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

superpop

07 Jul 2017

PC with windows 8.1 and I7 4770k here

No benefit from HT in a heavy project, only clicks, drops and unexpected peaks in the dsp bar.

wendylou

07 Jul 2017

I'm enjoying new power with 9.5.1 with the new Hyperthreading. That crazy R9.5 Benchmark44.100HzV2.reason benchmark test song with all the effects still crushes my iMac. But I can go much longer now with the other SimpleFXChain Benchmark file. Still finding Ozone 7 can really load things down depending on what plug-in I grab from the suite. Anyway, very happy to see HT!
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

Gorgon

07 Jul 2017

This HT business is really getting on my tits. But hey, nice update.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

tumar

07 Jul 2017

selig wrote:
07 Jul 2017

I didn't test iMac with this file, only MB Pro. iMac is home studio computer, for recording only, it can run even with huge samples buffer so I don't care so much for latency.
Macbook Pro is weak; retina looks nice but it's like millstone around MB neck.

tronam

07 Jul 2017

selig wrote:
07 Jul 2017

I wasn't aware of a new benchmark project for Reason 9. I'm using the older R8 one which I could never get to play beyond ~33 seconds before stopping, regardless of buffer size. It can reach 1:23 now with HT turned on and the audio doesn't start glitching until it really starts to struggle in the final red DSP bar. A pretty dramatic difference, at least in my case.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

RandyEspoda

08 Jul 2017

If you all think about it logically: hyperthreading means that 1 physical core has to perform the task of 2 logical cores. That will literally 'double' the workload per core, but will also mean it will take twice as long for DSP to get fully saturated, so you'll have a more stable DSP and heavy projects will play more stable/longer...

That coincides with the results most ppl are getting. Higher DSP load but better performance (in most cases).

So HT on means 1 core will act like 2, so logically will have to do twice the work.
HT on spreads the workload over 8 logical cores, creating 4 more, but still spreads it over the 4 'physical' cores available, so it will double.

KIKBAK1

08 Jul 2017

I did that 9.5 benchmark stress test. I get 13 secs using multi-core audio rendering. Doesn't play at all when "hyper-threading" is enabled. So in this case the performance is worse with hyperthreading. I don't get it?
Mac Pro 2012 12core intel Xeon 64 gigs ram
KIKBAK1.com

ProfessaKaos

08 Jul 2017

KIKBAK1 wrote:
08 Jul 2017
I did that 9.5 benchmark stress test. I get 13 secs using multi-core audio rendering. Doesn't play at all when "hyper-threading" is enabled. So in this case the performance is worse with hyperthreading. I don't get it?
Mac Pro 2012 12core intel Xeon 64 gigs ram
Yeah I don't get it ether.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

KIKBAK1

08 Jul 2017

ProfessaKaos wrote:
08 Jul 2017

Ok I just repaired permissions & restarted. I got 20secs with multicore rendering & 13 with hyperthreading on
KIKBAK1.com

ProfessaKaos

08 Jul 2017

KIKBAK1 wrote:
08 Jul 2017
ProfessaKaos wrote:
08 Jul 2017

Ok I just repaired permissions & restarted. I got 20secs with multicore rendering & 13 with hyperthreading on
How did you go about doing this?
Last edited by ProfessaKaos on 08 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

• Information