Reason 9.5.1 now available!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MattiasHG
Reason Studios

06 Jul 2017

We're happy to announce that Reason 9.5.1 is now available, just launch Reason 9.5 and let it auto-update!

This update brings:
  • Improved MIDI drag and drop from VST plug-ins. Dragging MIDI into the Reason sequencer will now place the MIDI on a track and position of your choice.
  • Improved performance.
  • Reason now supports hyper threading. There is a new setting for this in the Preferences which is on by default.
  • Additional bug fixes and improvements.
Regarding hyper threading, there are some important things to keep in mind! Depending on your CPU (number of physical cores, virtual cores etc) this will of course do less or more for your performance. Additionally, due to how load is distributed on cores, you will see the biggest performance gain on normal songs with multiple tracks, multiple devices and so on. If you have one ReSpire with 30 FET Compressors on it, hyper threading won't help as they're all in series and not in parallel. :)

As I'm sure you're aware, performance and bug fixing is ongoing work at any company and we'll continue improving Reason here at PropellerHQ. But now it's time for summer vacation. Happy music making! :reason:

Ostermilk

06 Jul 2017

Thanks.

And have a nice break, y'all!

-008'

06 Jul 2017

Sweet! We always need more power, captain... and I'm glad for the MIDI import fix. :)
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

ljekio

06 Jul 2017

Great, but...
Im alone with 'device not ready' error?
Every VST show it now :(
2017-07-06 13-42-30 Reason.jpg
2017-07-06 13-42-30 Reason.jpg (8.71 KiB) Viewed 8307 times
(win 7)

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

06 Jul 2017

ljekio wrote:
06 Jul 2017
Great, but...
Im alone with 'device not ready' error?
Every VST show it now :(

2017-07-06 13-42-30 Reason.jpg

(win 7)
This is not something we've seen in testing. Try a good 'ol restart and if it persists, e-mail us at bugs@propellerheads.se

SoulState

06 Jul 2017

-008' wrote:
06 Jul 2017
Sweet! ... and I'm glad for the MIDI import fix. :)
Yip, Make that two of us :thumbs_up:
:reason:

scratchnsnifff

06 Jul 2017

Next all I need is to be able to drag and drop samples into serum :)

Thank you propellerhead!
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

06 Jul 2017

Hmmm, MusicLab Guitars v4 performance is worse in 9.5.1. In 9.5 patterns won't trigger from the sequencer lane, but still work from the keyboard MIDI input. In 9.5.1 it doesn't trigger at all when the playback is on, even via direct MIDI input.

... Huh, more issues too; sound cuts out and requires a device recreate. (Strangely that's an issue that plagued the A-List Guitars too, rendering them unusable). But this occurs on MusicLab RG3 too. :puf_unhappy:
Last edited by JiggeryPokery on 06 Jul 2017, edited 4 times in total.

Electric-Metal

06 Jul 2017

SoulState wrote:
06 Jul 2017
-008' wrote:
06 Jul 2017
Sweet! ... and I'm glad for the MIDI import fix. :)
Yip, Make that two of us :thumbs_up:
Count me in. This is a dream come true.
:D
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

ljekio

06 Jul 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
06 Jul 2017

This is not something we've seen in testing. Try a good 'ol restart and if it persists, e-mail us at bugs@propellerheads.se
All right after restarting system, thanks for update.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

06 Jul 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:
06 Jul 2017
Hmmm, MusicLab performance is worse in 9.5.1. In 9.5 patterns won't trigger from the sequencer lane, but still work from the keyboard MIDI input. In 9.5.1 it doesn't trigger at all when the playback is on, even via direct MIDI input.
With MusicLab do you mean Real Strat or similar?

Also, just to be clear, with "performance" you mean you're getting different behavior, right? Not performance in the CPU-sense? Please report this (detail which plug-ins, set-up and so on) to bugs@propellerheads.se. As far as I'm aware we haven't changed anything in regards to how VSTs receive MIDI so this sounds very strange. Please verify that your set-up is the same, incl. how MIDI keyboards are set-up and all that. You can install Reason 9.5.0 and compare—that would be super helpful. 9.5.0 is available here and can exist in parallel if you rename the application folder: https://www.propellerheads.se/en/reason/updates

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

06 Jul 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
06 Jul 2017
JiggeryPokery wrote:
06 Jul 2017
Hmmm, MusicLab performance is worse in 9.5.1. In 9.5 patterns won't trigger from the sequencer lane, but still work from the keyboard MIDI input. In 9.5.1 it doesn't trigger at all when the playback is on, even via direct MIDI input.

Also, just to be clear, with "performance" you mean you're getting different behavior, right? Not performance in the CPU-sense? Please report this (detail which plug-ins, set-up and so on) to bugs@propellerheads.se. As far as I'm aware we haven't changed anything in regards to how VSTs receive MIDI so this sounds very strange. Please verify that your set-up is the same, incl. how MIDI keyboards are set-up and all that. You can install Reason 9.5.0 and compare—that would be super helpful. 9.5.0 is available here and can exist in parallel if you rename the application folder: https://www.propellerheads.se/en/reason/updates
Still testing it and trying some things, so sorry it's vague. I'm talking about patterns, not CPU performance. RG3 worked fine in 9.5, but we've been trying the demos of the V4 series, and the patterns don't work correctly in 9.5, in that they don't trigger from the sequencer track, but do always trigger from the keyboard. But in 9.5.1 they don't seem to work from the keyboard either IF Reason is in playback mode: the MIDI input to the guitar is completely shut off when play is activated. (I've tried it with and without hyperthreading, although ... does that switch require a restart?)

But I'm also finding issues with the MusicLab sound cutting out, including reduction of volume to near silence, and complete cuttouts, consistent enough that it's happening a few times, but not so obvious if there's a specific trigger for it.

RG3 patterns still work, but the device sound now regularly cuts out - although it seems to be cutting the mono/left sound; I've noticed the stereo setups are still playing the right channel
Last edited by JiggeryPokery on 06 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

06 Jul 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:
06 Jul 2017
MattiasHG wrote:
06 Jul 2017

Still testing it and trying some things, so sorry it's vague. I'm talking about patterns, not CPU performance. RG3 worked fine in 9.5, but we've been trying the demos of the V4 series, and the patterns don't work correctly in 9.5, in that they don't trigger from the sequencer track, but do always trigger from the keyboard. But in 9.5.1 they don't seem to work from the keyboard either IF Reason is in playback mode: the MIDI input to the guitar is completely shut off when play is activated. (I've tried it with and without hyperthreading, although ... does that switch require a restart?)

But I'm also finding issues with the MusicLab sound cutting out, including reduction of volume to near silence, and complete cuttouts, consistent enough that it's happening a few times, but not so obvious if there's a specific trigger for it.
Switching on/off hyperthreading does not require a restart. And, above all, it should not be related to MIDI input at all. :)

If you're having issues with a specific plug-ins and want to know where the issues is, trying it in 9.5.0, 9.5.1 and (if you have acess to it) another VST host is the best way to find out what goes wrong. I also recommend contacting the VST developer. This is a bit new in the Propellerhead world and you guys (and I!) might not be used to it. Many times plug-ins can have bugs that are triggered differently in different hosts and it's in their interest to make their plug-in compatible with all hosts. Oftentimes they find and fix the issue, or if we do something special they get in touch with us, get a Reason license and we work it out together. :)

stfual

06 Jul 2017

Will you be updating the Bittorrent ? The download currently fails every time i try which is usual for first day of release but the Bittorrent says its the earlier release 9.5.0

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

06 Jul 2017

stfual wrote:
06 Jul 2017
Will you be updating the Bittorrent ? The download currently fails every time i try which is usual for first day of release but the Bittorrent says its the earlier release 9.5.0
With point releases this is generally not done at time of release since you can auto-update, but I'll see what we can do :)

chimp_spanner

06 Jul 2017

<3 u guyz. Audio pre-calculation seems WAY faster now. And I'm fairly sure my old projects are running with a lot more CPU headroom. Will keep testing but so far looks like a winner!

*Edit: yeah performance is miles better. Loading up album projects and I'm sitting nicely around the 50% mark where I was on 90% previously. These are RE only projects. Haven't tested VST yet. That'll be the next task!
Last edited by chimp_spanner on 06 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.

chrischrischris

06 Jul 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
06 Jul 2017
We're happy to announce that Reason 9.5.1 is now available, just launch Reason 9.5 and let it auto-update!

Are You able to confirm that HT is catered for but not SMT?

I know HT is offically "Intel" but I'm imagine like Me AMD and Ryzen Users are wondering if this will affect Our Performance or not.

I have tested the new function but DSP generally goes from 2 Bars to 3 (Or adding15% to CPU Load) when this is enabled and so is suggesting that this feature will not help AMD Users.

Edit;

Could it be that Performance ie Speed of Process and general "Nippyness" is improved but with an impact on CPU? (Novice PC Question!!!!?)

Thanks in advance

Chris
Last edited by chrischrischris on 06 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.

KIKBAK1

06 Jul 2017

Great, now Reason can take advantage of all 12 physical cores on my machine.
Last edited by KIKBAK1 on 06 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.
KIKBAK1.com

ProfessaKaos

06 Jul 2017

I have a question. Would I benefit from Hyper Threading?
I am running an Intel 6800k CPU, x99a-II mobo, 32gb 2400 ram, Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Windows 10.
From my tests performance with Hyper Threading on is far, far, far worse performance wise. Song's that use to play, don't play with Hyper Threading turned on, even when loading up my template with hyper threading turned on I get more DSP bars showing.
Is this suppose to be the case? Task Manager shows twice as much CPU usage when Hyper Threading is on.
Cheers
Last edited by ProfessaKaos on 06 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

Gorgon

06 Jul 2017

KIKBAK1 wrote:
06 Jul 2017
Great, now Reason can take advantage of all 12 physical cores on my machine, not just 1.
Hey Kikbak, nice to see that you're still around. :thumbs_up:
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

06 Jul 2017

chrischrischris wrote:
06 Jul 2017
MattiasHG wrote:
06 Jul 2017

I have tested the new function but DSP generally goes from 2 Bars to 3 (Or adding15% to CPU Load) when this is enabled and so is suggesting that this feature will not help AMD Users.
That's not a very proper test. Enabling HT gives Reason more virtual cores to work with, so you'll see a CPU increase as we start looking at it and doing technical stuff. I'm not a programmer, so I won't attempt to explain thread spinning but in simpler words: this is expected.

The real question is, when you create normal songs, do they run smoother now? Do you hit the CPU ceiling later? In general, HT helps when using plenty of stuff in parallel such as numerous tracks, synths and effects that are not in series. That way we can distribute to more cores. This is the normal way to make music and also what HT will help with. Just turning the option on/off without a song is not really useful. :)

Additionally, HT is not a catch-all fix-all solution. It depends greatly on your CPU and set-up how beneficial it with be. That's why you can turn it off! ;)

chrischrischris

06 Jul 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
06 Jul 2017
chrischrischris wrote:
06 Jul 2017
That's not a very proper test. Enabling HT gives Reason more virtual cores to work with, so you'll see a CPU increase as we start looking at it and doing technical stuff. I'm not a programmer, so I won't attempt to explain thread spinning but in simpler words: this is expected.

The real question is, when you create normal songs, do they run smoother now? Do you hit the CPU ceiling later? In general, HT helps when using plenty of stuff in parallel such as numerous tracks, synths and effects that are not in series. That way we can distribute to more cores. This is the normal way to make music and also what HT will help with. Just turning the option on/off without a song is not really useful. :)

Additionally, HT is not a catch-all fix-all solution. It depends greatly on your CPU and set-up how beneficial it with be. That's why you can turn it off! ;)
Thanks for that. I thought that that could be the case. BTW I always Create "Normal Songs" ;)

Chris

Roulian

06 Jul 2017

Ah super cool!
Now I would love to drop a midi clip from the sequencer to a Note Clip Loop player. This is such a missing feature. Or at least the possibility to use midi vst plugins.
Such a lacking feature to not be able to save polyphonic notes events in a combinator...

DevilBunny

06 Jul 2017

It would be very lovely to be able to freeze instrument tracks, especially tracks containing rack extensions in the next release:)

KIKBAK1

06 Jul 2017

Gorgon wrote:
06 Jul 2017
KIKBAK1 wrote:
06 Jul 2017
Great, now Reason can take advantage of all 12 physical cores on my machine.
I check in all the time! Checking out the latest RE/VST gossip

Hey Kikbak, nice to see that you're still around. :thumbs_up:
KIKBAK1.com

• Information