Be honest, do you use presets often?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Kalm

15 Jul 2017

Oh but if I'm using hardware synths that I don't own and keyboards . . . presets all day
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Oquasec

15 Jul 2017

Saw that series a few years back. was a great source of info and covers most synthesis that falls into subtractive category.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Wickline

15 Jul 2017

jappe wrote: Two different modes of making music.

I think it would be great if the Props could make a Reason Patch Creator without sequencer for mobile phones, to support that patch making mode...perfect when commuting etc.
Been wanting that for a while. I'd spend a lot less time bullshitting with stupid games on my phone at work (phone usage would definitely go up though) lol
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

Wickline

15 Jul 2017

Kalm wrote:Plus, I have a conscious of "somebody definitely used this. . ." paranoia about me lololol
Don't know if Slipknot ever used reason but on one of their older albums they used a sample that was (I am 100% sure) in the reason FSB (Redrum FX folder). Haven't been able to use an unedited sample/patch since. I just know somebody out there will recognize it. Now I have to stack samples or load a bunch of fx on them til they're completely unrecognizeable. The paranoia is REAL man.

Kalm

15 Jul 2017

Wickline wrote:
15 Jul 2017
Kalm wrote:Plus, I have a conscious of "somebody definitely used this. . ." paranoia about me lololol
Don't know if Slipknot ever used reason but on one of their older albums they used a sample that was (I am 100% sure) in the reason FSB (Redrum FX folder). Haven't been able to use an unedited sample/patch since. I just know somebody out there will recognize it. Now I have to stack samples or load a bunch of fx on them til they're completely unrecognizeable. The paranoia is REAL man.
My friend showed me a drum loop that one of my christian hip hop artists I listen to completely used, almost unscathed in one of his older albums. I was like you can't be serious. I CAN DO THAT! hahaha
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Wickline

15 Jul 2017

Kalm wrote:
Wickline wrote:
15 Jul 2017
My friend showed me a drum loop that one of my christian hip hop artists I listen to completely used, almost unscathed in one of his older albums. I was like you can't be serious. I CAN DO THAT! hahaha
Lol Right?! Like How? Why??? It's so easy to make something unrecognizable and sound cool in some/any other way.

It ruined that song for me. Couldn't listen to it anymore.

Kalm

15 Jul 2017

Wickline wrote:
15 Jul 2017
Kalm wrote:
Lol Right?! Like How? Why??? It's so easy to make something unrecognizable and sound cool in some/any other way.

It ruined that song for me. Couldn't listen to it anymore.
I won't feel official unless someone does that to me lol

Wickline

15 Jul 2017

Haha

syncanonymous

20 Jul 2017

For me using of presets really depends on the application.

I never use presets in a song or music that I would pronounce my own original composition. I might review and understand how a preset that I like is constructed and then use that knowledge to make my own version.

Professionally speaking, on the other hand, when I create background music for a client film, I am willing to use presets. I would rather make all my own sounds or use samples that have been recorded by me or people that I might collaborate with. Inevitably, deadlines put pressure to produce and sometimes presets become a neccessity. For me it is more often orchestral sample banks or drum beats that I don't have time to make. For orchestral samples, if you are an extremely talented and technically proficient musician and recordist with access to sufficient recording environments, you will be required to buy samples if you want to go beyond the Reason Factory sounds.

As far as synthesis on client projects, I very seldom, use presets. Maybe one in 200 sounds...?
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

aeox
Competition Winner

23 Jul 2017

I try to approach sound design from two different directions as a purely electronic "in the box" guy.

The first would be the actual synthesizer work(albeit, extremely basic for the most part ), and secondly the effects chain or you could think of it as the "tone".
Almost like how an electric guitarist is always chasing that tone.. or whatever.
Sure, a lot of the "tone" is in the instrument, and the player.. but I believe it's critically important to pay homage to the effects as well.

Heres an example:

Basic unison saw wave pluck that I've made in eXpanse with careful attention on effects and sculpting a nice tone (in my opinion, of course)

The same exact synth patch but with only delay and reverb, with matched volume. (the same delay/reverb settings as the first example)

To me it's night and day difference, and is a huge part of my sound design process.
All of this is exactly why I generally tend to stay away from presets, but there are some exceptions and ways to use presets for my taste.
You could always strip a preset dry of it's effects and run them through your own "tone" effect chain that you've made specifically for that patch or from another, completely giving it your own "sound".

Micha1973

23 Jul 2017

i use them also to start a new track. but always i play with knobs to make the sound i like it in the track*

micha
Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

electrochoc (PRX-A)

23 Jul 2017

I've never used presets since I first got Reason many years ago. For me, one big part of the fun of using synthesizers is to design my own sounds, which are often minimalistic, i.e. easy to design. I've always seen presets as some kind of demonstrations of what you can do with a synth, but not as something to use in my music. Most of the time, I never even take a look at what the presets look like in the synths I buy.

Back in the old PUF times, since I was a little puzzled by the fact that some people seem to be selling and buying presets packs, and by the fact that some REs were criticized for having not enough presets, I made a little pool about how often people were using them. The possible answers were something like:

- Never
- Sometimes.
- About half the time.
- Most of the time.
- Always.

Each answer got about 20% each, if I remember well, but I think the "Never" answer was even lower... That makes me realize that "making my own sounds", which is all the fun and very important for me, is not so important for most of people... Many people told me they were using presets as a starting point, like it happened here. And all of this is perfectly OK! It's not because people like me are choosing to "reinvent the wheel" each time they open their synths that it has to be everyone's cup of tea!
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

Oquasec

24 Jul 2017

For me the fun part is messing about in the modules messing with all the knobs and faders
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Faastwalker

24 Jul 2017

All the time. More so now than I used to. But previously I just spent most of my time playing around with synths. I was getting no music done! They are great for a jump off point to get some ideas down if nothing else. Then you can tweak to get closer to what you want. But ultimately it's most satisfying to start with a blank canvas & make your own patches. It just takes a lot of time unless you know your synth of choice inside out. Too many synths is part of the problem. Post RE I bought a fair few synths. Problem is the more you have the less time you spend with each, hence why (I believe) I use more presets these days. Really need to spend more time on some of the RE purchases I've made.

ejanuska

24 Jul 2017

Could you imagine how acoustic guitar players must feel? The guitars sound so similar. How do they write songs that sound different using the same sound? What a travesty.

aburazaru

24 Jul 2017

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen a more civil discussion about this. Kudos, RT!

To the topic at hand; honestly, I see presets in the same family as samples. I've used both, haha. But I've also, and still continue to, spend hours from an init patch and dig in to make the sound I have in my head, or discover a new one. You spend time either way, really. Either digging for the right patch until your ears bleed, or jamming faders and twisting knobs until your fingers bleed.

Aside from the potential to be called unoriginal, producing a sound that you (or your clients/followers/fans) want to hear is all we're really after, right? I'm indifferent about it, really, so I suppose my post isn't really that relevant. I've been a Thor whore, a Serum wizard, a Kontakt captain and a Malstrom maestro, to name a few, but there have been plenty of times that I'll spend three hours on a synth and the subsequent effects to make the right sound for a track, only to later find one that sounds even closer to what I originally wanted in a patch kit.

Beyond all of that, the circumstances often dictate the actions. If I have a client that needs a few tracks turned around in two days for a game, you can bet I'll be using patches for quick sketches, inspiration and sometimes release. Zero "feel bads" if the client ends up happy with the product.
How was I supposed to know "don't touch" meant to not push the big...red...button?

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Jul 2017

For me it's a mix I don't pay too much attention to.

If anything I do tend to prefer creating my own synth patches. For sampled instruments I often start with patches and will tweak to my liking if necessary.

With drums it's a mix. I can start from a preset or a blank slate.

I've nothing against presets, however I am weary of using distinct sounds that have been exhausted to death. One teacher of music production told the class that manufacturers ship out their synths and workstations to the most famous composers months before release, so within 6 months of release pretty much every unique sound has been exhausted. Because of this the only way to not sound like you're using last season's sounds is to create your own patches.

Well, ... something of that nature. This was way back in 2003, but as a principle I think it's got some legs.

demt

25 Jul 2017

I don't think there is a descent synth on sale without presets
Serum however names the creater of sum presets and puts their names alongside the preset button .I think reason should copy this idea and that composers should mention sum present makers in the credits for the song under sum circumstances
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2017

ejanuska wrote:
24 Jul 2017
Could you imagine how acoustic guitar players must feel? The guitars sound so similar. How do they write songs that sound different using the same sound? What a travesty.
Apples and oranges.

PGR

25 Jul 2017

Always using presets. I don´t know how to program. Just some layering, ADSR and effects editing.

avasopht
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2017

ejanuska wrote:
24 Jul 2017
In some genres novelty is sought after in sound and arrangement. Composers are also creatively sculpting synthetic sounds so it's a different ball game. Sometimes it's not important, like if you're loading a rhodes that is accepted as a standard sound.

So no, your classical composers were not applying filter sweeps. That doesn't mean filter sweeps have no value or importance.

Especially when you are targeting a genre. You can quite happily compose with any shitty sound if your audience is yourself, but if you are seeking an audience you have to relate to the trends. If you are not then it doesn't matter. There's also an aspect of competition, and making creative use of sounds and effects can push you ahead.

The mental framework that was taught at my college was Harmony, Arrangement, Rhythm and Melody (HARM). HARM is a lens you can use to think about and critique a recording.

wendylou

25 Jul 2017

I use a lot of presets. Similarly, I used to do a lot of custom programming. It depends on where my head is at, i.e. if I have a song idea, it really doesn't matter if I use presets. In the end, there will be enough custom effects and parameter tweaking to make it my own sound.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

GRIFTY

25 Jul 2017

i use them all the time. i'll scroll through libraries until i find one that i like, and then i'll usually tweek it until it's a bit more unique for me. i'll obviously add effects and stuff over it too. rarely, and usually with bass and 808s i'll just leave a preset as is

• Information