Combinator, Rack Extension, etc for Podcast

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ZombieFightsShark

29 Jun 2017

Hey Everybody,
I'm recording and editing a podcast in 9.5 and was just wondering if anyone has any go-to Combi's, RE's, or VSTs they could recommend. It's three voices on two tracks with the occasional musical interlude. Voices are all over the place in regards to gain levels, so I'm compressing, limiting, maximizing, etc, etc.

Just wondering if anyone has been down this road already and has a success story to share.

Thanks,
Chad

WongoTheSane

29 Jun 2017

My go-to device for voice recording is Selig's Leveler. It's an upwards compressor (as opposed to the traditional compressors that work downwards), which gives that nice "radio voice" instantly. You can still use a normal compressor later in the chain, but I find I never need to. Depending on the source material, the De-Esser might come in handy as well...

ZombieFightsShark

29 Jun 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
29 Jun 2017
My go-to device for voice recording is Selig's Leveler. It's an upwards compressor (as opposed to the traditional compressors that work downwards), which gives that nice "radio voice" instantly. You can still use a normal compressor later in the chain, but I find I never need to. Depending on the source material, the De-Esser might come in handy as well...
Dang, you just totally gave me a reason to spend some money in the Prop Shop.

And Thank you. You answered my question perfectly.

WongoTheSane

29 Jun 2017

Glad I helped! For the sake of completion, there's also an iZotope product called RX 6 (https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rep ... /post.html) which does: de-rustle, de-wind, de-ess, de-click, de-clip, de-hum, de-crackle, de-plosive, remove mic bleed, spectral repair, isolate dialog, etc. There are several editions, some of these functions are only available in the advanced edition ($1200!! the standard version is $400), and it seems (to me) geared more towards professional editing (tv/movies/theater) than podcasts (well, the price tag for one...), but it might be worth investigating. JoeyLuck bought it earlier this month and he said he was rather satisfied with it.

joeyluck

29 Jun 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
29 Jun 2017
Glad I helped! For the sake of completion, there's also an iZotope product called RX 6 (https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rep ... /post.html) which does: de-rustle, de-wind, de-ess, de-click, de-clip, de-hum, de-crackle, de-plosive, remove mic bleed, spectral repair, isolate dialog, etc. There are several editions, some of these functions are only available in the advanced edition ($1200!! the standard version is $400), and it seems (to me) geared more towards professional editing (tv/movies/theater) than podcasts (well, the price tag for one...), but it might be worth investigating. JoeyLuck bought it earlier this month and he said he was rather satisfied with it.
Yes, I'm a huge fan! I got the standard version and it has worked wonders. They offer a demo of it so you can give it a try :puf_smile:

Here are the comparisons between versions:
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rep ... tures.html

• Information