For the popular people on SoundCloud

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
CYSYS8993

29 Jun 2017

How did you develop your fanbase, starting from practically invisible to at least hundreds of followers? Can you share your strategies? Or did you let it happen passively? (Although I don't think that's the most effective method)

etyrnal

29 Jun 2017

The main "trick" is writing great music that's so good that people who hear it love it and feel compelled to SHARE it...

if that's not the reason it's blowing up, then it sort of doesn't deserve to be blowing up. The idea that we should be able to use some sort of trick to get people to like it is not what writing great music is about. Using "tricks" to "get people to like it" is kindof a myth. How often do you Share our Like or Follow music because you were tricked into Following it, or Liking and Sharing?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

jonheal

29 Jun 2017

etyrnal wrote:
29 Jun 2017
The main "trick" is writing great music that's so good that people who hear it love it and feel compelled to SHARE it...

if that's not the reason it's blowing up, then it sort of doesn't deserve to be blowing up. The idea that we should be able to use some sort of trick to get people to like it is not what writing great music is about. Using "tricks" to "get people to like it" is kindof a myth. How often do you Share our Like or Follow music because you were tricked into Following it, or Liking and Sharing?

You could offer people money to share your music. :)
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Ahornberg

29 Jun 2017

produce music and share it as often as you can ;)

raymondh

29 Jun 2017

It's not all about writing great (whatever that means) music or paying for friends.

Pay It Forward. Most people want people to listen to their music. So listen to other people's tracks, comment on them, like, share etc. don't scattergun, really find other artists you like and work on trying to genuinely support them. Then some will reciprocate.
Last edited by raymondh on 29 Jun 2017, edited 2 times in total.

raymondh

29 Jun 2017

The other advice would be to set up a Facebook page to promote your music.
Last edited by raymondh on 29 Jun 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Aosta

29 Jun 2017

There are tons of artists on soundcloud that make fantastic music and have hardly any listens.
sometimes it just comes down to blind luck that the right person or people hear your music or just simply promoting yourself 24/7 until you reach someone that can open that door to their network and audience.
No one had really heard of Chaos Chaos and they only had minor success until their track was featured at the end of a Rick and Morty episode and now they are sought after by a whole new audience of millions worldwide who would never had gave them a second listen.

Tend the flame

Le Boeuf

30 Jun 2017

I used to use download Gates a lot on my tracks, which means that people need to follow you to download your stuff. I Got around 43k followers and being a part of a collective who reposts the same genres as you is good too. But really believe that soundcloud is dying slowly.

AttenuationHz

30 Jun 2017

Le Boeuf wrote:
30 Jun 2017
I used to use download Gates a lot on my tracks, which means that people need to follow you to download your stuff. I Got around 43k followers and being a part of a collective who reposts the same genres as you is good too. But really believe that soundcloud is dying slowly.

I wonder why that is :|
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

aeox
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2017

if you build it they will come.

EDIT: oh and i'm not popular on soundcloud ^.^ i just notice things. good producers will acquire a following eventually. sometimes by following trends and sometimes by changing the entire game.

Jagwah

01 Jul 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
30 Jun 2017
Le Boeuf wrote:
30 Jun 2017

Had me intruiged so I looked it up and it turns out it's not that different than buying likes, but in this case you reward people for visiting / liking your track by giving them something like a free download if they visit and like your track. It has the same lameness that buying likes has as far as I can tell.

Le Boeuf

01 Jul 2017

Well to me that is an ignorant statement but of course your opinion. I never bought a Like on anything because i Think its lame and narscisictic, i dont get it, why do you wanna have 1000 of likes when none is real?

For me dl Gates is fine, of course not the most Pretty method but its my Way of getting something out of people when They Want my product/song. And i Would have no followers if people didnt Want my tracks.

Im not a business man, but i know for sure that giving things out for free all day is bad business.

So bottomline is, all my followers and plays are real and i get a good organic reach. You Can of course have your opinion and try to get heard by other more clean methods but fact is that the music business is not perfect :-)

Jagwah wrote:
01 Jul 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
30 Jun 2017

Had me intruiged so I looked it up and it turns out it's not that different than buying likes, but in this case you reward people for visiting / liking your track by giving them something like a free download if they visit and like your track. It has the same lameness that buying likes has as far as I can tell.

Jagwah

01 Jul 2017

Le Boeuf wrote:
01 Jul 2017
Well to me that is an ignorant statement but of course your opinion. I never bought a Like on anything because i Think its lame and narscisictic, i dont get it, why do you wanna have 1000 of likes when none is real?

For me dl Gates is fine, of course not the most Pretty method but its my Way of getting something out of people when They Want my product/song. And i Would have no followers if people didnt Want my tracks.

Im not a business man, but i know for sure that giving things out for free all day is bad business.

So bottomline is, all my followers and plays are real and i get a good organic reach. You Can of course have your opinion and try to get heard by other more clean methods but fact is that the music business is not perfect :-)

Jagwah wrote:
01 Jul 2017

It could definitely be an ignorant comment as I don't fully understand what it is you do. Can you please explain in a bit more detail the process you personally took with Gate, thanks.

Aosta

01 Jul 2017

aeox wrote:
30 Jun 2017

EDIT: oh and i'm not popular on soundcloud ^.^ i just notice things. good producers will acquire a following eventually. sometimes by following trends and sometimes by changing the entire game.
This too.
Many artists get success after they change their musical genre or sometimes it's as simple as a name change.
Personally I think just make music for yourself and if people like it great and if not don't stress over it.
If your music makes you happy then that is the most important thing.
Morphing to follow trends and fame is a question of artistic integrity, if an artist is comfortable pimping themselves out then good luck to them.
Some musicians have made an entire career out of it, I mean do you really think a musician that makes jingles for a living enjoys their work? Then again the artist that created the windows start up sound must be a very happy person. I know I'd wake up everyday with a smile knowing probably over a billion people are going to hear your creation and the same tomorrow.
Tend the flame

QVprod

01 Jul 2017

Jagwah wrote:
01 Jul 2017
Le Boeuf wrote:
01 Jul 2017

It could definitely be an ignorant comment as I don't fully understand what it is you do. Can you please explain in a bit more detail the process you personally took with Gate, thanks.
To chime in. Buying likes = fake followers. Using a download gate = actual people choosing to follow you to download your music. The 2 methods nothing alike.

Jagwah

01 Jul 2017

QVprod wrote:
01 Jul 2017
Jagwah wrote:
01 Jul 2017

To chime in. Buying likes = fake followers. Using a download gate = actual people choosing to follow you to download your music. The 2 methods nothing alike.
After a quick google it seems the Gate offer can be a gift of any kind, therefore not specifically related to the artist which is why I ask if he could explain the process he personally took. 50,000 plays for one soundcloud track and zero comments, there's another with 164,000 plays and zero comments, just had a quick look but it does make me wonder.

You seem quite certain about it yourself QVprod, can you share your experiences with Gate?
Last edited by Jagwah on 01 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Jagwah

01 Jul 2017

Le Boeuf wrote:
01 Jul 2017

Jagwah wrote:
01 Jul 2017

Going to ask again I'd really like to know what you are doing, the exposure you have is incredible, just saw you have half a million plays on one of your remixes.

I'd also love a heads up on where you get your vocal stems.

How has the exposure helped you as an artist, have you sold any remixes or got any gigs out of it?

Sorry for all the questions, really curious, cheers.
Last edited by Jagwah on 01 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.

QVprod

01 Jul 2017

Jagwah wrote:
01 Jul 2017
QVprod wrote:
01 Jul 2017

After a quick google it seems the Gate offer can be a gift of any kind, therefore not specifically related to the artist which is why I ask if he could explain the process he personally took.
Referring specifically to SoundCloud, services that offer download gates (many of which are free) are for music downloads. There's no way of paying for followers. Real people still have to organically find you and want to follow you. It's basically like selling on iTunes except the currency used to buy your song is a "follow" instead of money. In other words these are people who actually like the music enough to want to download it. It's simple tool for being able to generate and reach a fanbase. Key thing is these are actual people and these service do not guarantee you follows.

Paying for likes on the other hand means a bunch of fake profiles become your followers to make it look like you have a large following for a price as there is no way any service can guarantee you organic follows or likes. That's why there is no comparison. Comparing the two can be pretty insulting. Of course Le Boeuf can defend himself, but I felt that distinction should be made.

Edit: I just saw the edit to your post. While I myself don't have a huge Soundcloud following, I do have a download gate setup on my website. I've also download other artist's music by following them on twitter and other social media. Its basically the same method website use to get you to join their mailing list. It's a form of marketing that keeps you connected to a fanbase. I can say for any mailing list or like for download I've done, I was generally interested in the content or the artist.

Jagwah

01 Jul 2017

QVprod wrote:
01 Jul 2017
Jagwah wrote:
01 Jul 2017

After a quick google it seems the Gate offer can be a gift of any kind, therefore not specifically related to the artist which is why I ask if he could explain the process he personally took.
Referring specifically to SoundCloud, services that offer download gates (many of which are free) are for music downloads. There's no way of paying for followers. Real people still have to organically find you and want to follow you. It's basically like selling on iTunes except the currency used to buy your song is a "follow" instead of money. In other words these are people who actually like the music enough to want to download it. It's simple tool for being able to generate and reach a fanbase. Key thing is these are actual people and these service do not guarantee you follows.

Paying for likes on the other hand means a bunch of fake profiles become your followers to make it look like you have a large following for a price as there is no way any service can guarantee you organic follows or likes. That's why there is no comparison. Comparing the two can be pretty insulting. Of course Le Boeuf can defend himself, but I felt that distinction should be made.

Edit: I just saw the edit to your post. While I myself don't have a huge Soundcloud following, I do have a download gate setup on my website. I've also download other artist's music by following them on twitter and other social media. Its basically the same method website use to get you to join their mailing list. It's a form of marketing that keeps you connected to a fanbase. I can say for any mailing list or like for download I've done, I was generally interested in the content or the artist.
I was kinda rude about it as I assumed something is amiss here. The numbers are pretty crazy - 1.2 millions plays on a track and 200 comments, never seen anything like it, also never seen a Fresh Prince of Bel Air acapella that he obviously has access to and that's just the start. Also he mentions his process is not the prettiest, and that I could try a more clean method, so I'm really curious to hear a bit more info about what's going on here.

messy-jesse

08 Jul 2017

Jagwah wrote:
QVprod wrote:
01 Jul 2017

I was kinda rude about it as I assumed something is amiss here. The numbers are pretty crazy - 1.2 millions plays on a track and 200 comments, never seen anything like it, also never seen a Fresh Prince of Bel Air acapella that he obviously has access to and that's just the start. Also he mentions his process is not the prettiest, and that I could try a more clean method, so I'm really curious to hear a bit more info about what's going on here.
There was something out there called cloud killers where you pay for plays. I stayed away from it. I invest enough on equipment.

One trick I used along time ago was placing one of my songs in a top 100 torrent someone else created. A loss in money to be made by the song but gained a lot of fans. :)

Listen to Fresh Prince Of Bel - Air Theme (Messy Jesse Re - Edit) by Messy Jesse #np on #SoundCloud

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Mistro17

08 Jul 2017

aeox wrote:
30 Jun 2017

I'm just posting to say I enjoyed listening to that track. "Star Stuff"

EDIT: I realized that's your signature. :)
Last edited by Mistro17 on 09 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.

etyrnal

08 Jul 2017

jonheal wrote:
etyrnal wrote:
29 Jun 2017

You could offer people money to share your music. :)
But then are you going to also pay the people who the music was shared to, by the people who you paid to share music, to also share it? You're going to pay everyone in the world to listen to your music? This is the opposite of what you're actually trying to do isn't it? It's kind of like wanting something for nothing.

jonheal

08 Jul 2017

Etyrnal: ignore me. I was just being my regular facetious self.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

etyrnal

08 Jul 2017

Aosta wrote:There are tons of artists on soundcloud that make fantastic music and have hardly any listens.
sometimes it just comes down to blind luck that the right person or people hear your music or just simply promoting yourself 24/7 until you reach someone that can open that door to their network and audience.
No one had really heard of Chaos Chaos and they only had minor success until their track was featured at the end of a Rick and Morty episode and now they are sought after by a whole new audience of millions worldwide who would never had gave them a second listen.

We've all come through an era where sharing has been discouraged, and made difficult due to record labels etc...

ages ago music used to be shared more freely...

demt

09 Jul 2017

theres a hex on the like button,worldwide considering how easy it is to click im amazed at my reluctance
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

• Information