favorites not loaded

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jm245

26 Jun 2017

I have a created some folders for favorites where I drag and drop some refills that I like.

When I turn off my laptop and restart and run Reason, I click on my folders but my favorite refills are not loaded -they appear with italic fonts and (!) sign and there is message that says "could not load the item from refill".

Then If I search for the whole refill and load it from the original folder, only then when I open my favorite folder, it appears to be there. So whats the point of making a personal collection for being fast if it does not load it automatically? Is there a way to solve this problem?

thanks

AttenuationHz

26 Jun 2017

Have not gotten around to posting this. I'm having the same trouble but. I have a folder with nothing but stab samples in it placed on my Favorites and the whole folder keeps disappearing on me. I think its a bug!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2017

I use favourites all the time, well TBH I have my folders listed more, but I do have a couple of favourites and I have never had any issues with them.

Are you Refills located on a local drive?

Oh the only time I have seen issues is when I have moved the ReFill to a different location...

jm245

27 Jun 2017

well its very annoying... I spent hours of searching and making a 'favorite' collection just to have them ready to use and now they seem that I have to search from the start and reload them from the original folder...

this is how it looks

http://i.imgur.com/6g9SZZs.jpg

Carly Poohbear, I have all my extra refills on an external hard disk, but why this should be a issue, good thought though. I will check if some favorites that come from the Reason basic package disappear too if I put them in a favorite folder.

So any idea how to solve this??

jm245

27 Jun 2017

well its very annoying... I spent hours of searching and making a 'favorite' collection just to have them ready to use and now they seem that I have to search from the start and reload them from the original folder...

this is how it looks

Carly Poohbear, I have all my extra refills on an external hard disk, but why this should be a issue, good thought though. I will check if some favorites that come from the Reason basic package disappear too if I put them in a favorite folder.

jm245

24 Jul 2017

-
Can someone please help on this matter? Its very disappointing and annoying.. I have selected through so many refills, the ones that I like and now.. I have to search them one by one and reload them each time I run Reason...

Maybe can someone ask a pro? I really need to solve this issue.

I would appreciate it very much. I am new to Reason and I think you remember how hard it was for you in the start.

Thanks

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

24 Jul 2017

jm245 wrote:
24 Jul 2017
-
Can someone please help on this matter? Its very disappointing and annoying.. I have selected through so many refills, the ones that I like and now.. I have to search them one by one and reload them each time I run Reason...

Maybe can someone ask a pro? I really need to solve this issue.

I would appreciate it very much. I am new to Reason and I think you remember how hard it was for you in the start.

Thanks
Sorry this thread disappeared off my radar...

So do you have issues when you create favourites with the standard sound bank?
Are you on Mac or Windows? and what version?

AttenuationHz

24 Jul 2017

Strange I also don't remember getting an update of this thread.

Reason likes the files it uses in .favo lists to stay in the same place. Otherwise it will not read them. This means that the path address to the files has to stay the same. I had an issue in an older version where I had a USB stick but every time I plugged it in the drive letters to my external external HDD would change automatically. Its the only thing I can think of ATM. Even if you add a file to the list then rename a folder in path it will not read the file even changing the folder name to "Folder Name" is seen as a broken path it's case sensitive.

I know its frustrating having to deal with broken .favo lists believe me iv'e gone through 500+ folders looking for samples and reason is terrible at searching because it does not use indexed searches. If you are searching for something I'd suggest using windows/mac search feature and copying the address then pasting it into reasons browser.

Another thing you should do is back up your .favo list it is located in:

C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\Reason - on windows
Users > Library > Application Support > Propellerhead Software > Reason - on mac

Just copy and paste the Reason folder there to have a hard copy. Which reminds me must update my copy!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

jm245

24 Jul 2017

Carly,

Win10
It happens when I choose -for example- some thor, nnxt etc sounds from various refills I have dl. (not the standard soundbank). When i restart my laptop and go to the favorites they look like the picture above. Please take a look. (I have saved all my extra refills on an external hdd but it doesnt change the Drive letter when I restart, so why they appear in italic and grey letters? it is very annoying that I have to search the Refill and reload them each time...

any suggestions?

AttenuationHz - I will check your instructions asap.

AttenuationHz

24 Jul 2017

jm245 wrote:
24 Jul 2017
It happens when I choose -for example- some thor, nnxt etc sounds from various refills. When i restart my laptop and go to the favorites they look like the picture above. Please take a look. (I have saved all my extra refills on an external hdd but it doesnt change the Drive letter when I restart, so why they appear in italic and grey letters? it is very annoying that I have to search the Refill and reload them each time...

any suggestions?

I saw the screenshot doesn't really tell anything only that the file could not be found.

You could try to rule out the hard drive. Export a projects audio loop, save one to your HDD and one to your internal drive with the same name but add something at the end to one so you know which is which. Find the exported loop on the HDD and Internal and add both to one of your favourite folders if the HDD loop disappears then something is up with the HDD.

Do you power down the external also? You should turn that on first before you power cycle the PC or Mac! And power the HDD off after you shut down. It may not matter though. But if you power cycle the HDD when reason is open then it would.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

24 Jul 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
24 Jul 2017
jm245 wrote:
24 Jul 2017
It happens when I choose -for example- some thor, nnxt etc sounds from various refills. When i restart my laptop and go to the favorites they look like the picture above. Please take a look. (I have saved all my extra refills on an external hdd but it doesnt change the Drive letter when I restart, so why they appear in italic and grey letters? it is very annoying that I have to search the Refill and reload them each time...

any suggestions?

I saw the screenshot doesn't really tell anything only that the file could not be found.

You could try to rule out the hard drive. Export a projects audio loop, save one to your HDD and one to your internal drive with the same name but add something at the end to one so you know which is which. Find the exported loop on the HDD and Internal and add both to one of your favourite folders if the HDD loop disappears then something is up with the HDD.

Do you power down the external also? You should turn that on first before you power cycle the PC or Mac! And power the HDD off after you shut down. It may not matter though. But if you power cycle the HDD when reason is open then it would.
My thoughts were on the External spinning down and not responding quick enough for Reason, hence why I wanted to know if it was OK with the standard sound bank.

So can you confirm that when you put your standard sounds into a favourite that it works after restarting Reason?

If it does fail with the standard sound bank then I would be looking at rights issues.

What make is your external hard drive?

Note: I do already have favourites set from my external drive and I do have set to power save (spin-down), without issues.

Mrswalbard

01 Apr 2020

Hi, i'm currently stuck in using my HDD as a sample storage, I can't use the HDD for making music the way i want too. Do you guys suggest that i contact reason studios regarding this? I'm sure there is a way to fix this and it, of course, should be accessible for all reason users. Best regards // Andreas Löwing

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

03 Apr 2020

Mrswalbard wrote:
01 Apr 2020
Hi, i'm currently stuck in using my HDD as a sample storage, I can't use the HDD for making music the way i want too. Do you guys suggest that i contact reason studios regarding this? I'm sure there is a way to fix this and it, of course, should be accessible for all reason users. Best regards // Andreas Löwing
We need details, what is happening or not happening?

bigguy1

03 Apr 2020

I have had a small issue which could be related to that. I have the following folder structure:
refillFolder->someRefill.rfl
refillFolder->subFolder->someOtherRefill.rlf

The refillFolder is part of my favorites in reason. The subFolder is not in the favorites. If I drag for example an instrument patch from someOtherRefill somewhere to the favorites and restart Reason, this patch will be not available. I think it is because Reason "does not know" the refill including the patch (becauese it's not in the favorites). This does not happen when the refill is directly in the favorites or in the folder which is in the favorites.

bigguy1

03 Apr 2020

It seems that there is a workaround for my problem from above. If you put the refill from the subfolder directly above the instrument patch it works.

• Information