Remove MIDI default assignments?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
JacobiusWrex

26 Jun 2017

Hi guys, I am wondering if it is possible to send messages into reason on cc7 (for example) without them being automatically turned into "expression"messages?

I can't seem to find access to any such thing at the codec level. Is that in the remote maplevel?

Thanks

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

artotaku

26 Jun 2017

JacobiusWrex wrote:
26 Jun 2017
Hi guys, I am wondering if it is possible to send messages into reason on cc7 (for example) without them being automatically turned into "expression"messages?

I can't seem to find access to any such thing at the codec level. Is that in the remote maplevel?

Thanks

A codec intercepts any MIDI messages from the controller and converts them to Remote messages to be send to Reason. In the codec there are definitions of so called "control surface items". These can be mapped to "remotable items" either in the remotemap or by using Remote overrides.
The "remotable items" are defined by Reason/REs document and devices and cannot be added by a codec.

So it´s completely up to the codec developer to decide how to convert a MIDI message coming from the controller with e. g. CC 07 before it is sent to Reason. If a codec defined a control surface item for the incoming MIDI message CC 07 you can map it to any (beside some exceptions) remotable item either in the remotemap or by using remote overrides. In that regard it is on remotemap level.
If the control surface item does not exist yet, it is on codec level because you have to first define it there.

Btw, if you want to have more insight into the Remote protocol, you can apply as a Remote developer on the Propellerhead site to have access to documentation and SDK. You won´t regret it :-)

JacobiusWrex

26 Jun 2017

Thanks, I have the sdk and I have written a few codecs, but really never messed with the actual remote map yet.

All I know is I opened the codec for the standard "multi channel control keyboard"and there is no mention of expression or mod wheel etc... so I assumed it was in a remote map file.

The thing I don't like about non override control is that it depends on sequencer track selection which is complicated to automate.

JacobiusWrex

26 Jun 2017

artotaku wrote:
JacobiusWrex wrote:
26 Jun 2017

Thanks

A codec intercepts any MIDI messages from the controller and converts them to Remote messages to be send to Reason. In the codec there are definitions of so called "control surface items". These can be mapped to "remotable items" either in the remotemap or by using Remote overrides.
The "remotable items" are defined by Reason/REs document and devices and cannot be added by a codec.

So it´s completely up to the codec developer to decide how to convert a MIDI message coming from the controller with e. g. CC 07 before it is sent to Reason. If a codec defined a control surface item for the incoming MIDI message CC 07 you can map it to any (beside some exceptions) remotable item either in the remotemap or by using remote overrides. In that regard it is on remotemap level.
If the control surface item does not exist yet, it is on codec level because you have to first define it there.

Btw, if you want to have more insight into the Remote protocol, you can apply as a Remote developer on the Propellerhead site to have access to documentation and SDK. You won´t regret it :-)
I found what I was looking for, guess I was tired last night, it's right in the codec!

I am still confused though where the .luacodec file is located for all of the "other" devices, it is not in the folder "lua codecs"with all the rest of them..

artotaku

26 Jun 2017

JacobiusWrex wrote:
26 Jun 2017
artotaku wrote: A codec intercepts any MIDI messages from the controller and converts them to Remote messages to be send to Reason. In the codec there are definitions of so called "control surface items". These can be mapped to "remotable items" either in the remotemap or by using Remote overrides.

I found what I was looking for, guess I was tired last night, it's right in the codec!

I am still confused though where the .luacodec file is located for all of the "other" devices, it is not in the folder "lua codecs"with all the rest of them..

*.luacodec files are located in the lua codec folder unless it is an midicodec (MIDI codecs folder) which are the old non-lua format for codecs that is not supported anymore. E. g. the generic MIDI controller codecs by Propellerhead are written in the old format.

• Information