I've given up waiting for the fix for mac and have bought a PC.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Heater

24 Jun 2017

I'm not getting any younger.

I'm fed up with the audio cracks and pops when running Reason 9.5 on my 2015 MacBook pro. I never experienced this issue on my older MacBook pro running Reason 7.

So anyhoo. I've ordered a i5 quad core PC to sort this out and I need to rant. I'm pretty sure it will run a lot better.

aeox
Competition Winner

24 Jun 2017

Heater wrote:
24 Jun 2017
I'm not getting any younger.

I'm fed up with the audio cracks and pops when running Reason 9.5 on my 2015 MacBook pro. I never experienced this issue on my older MacBook pro running Reason 7.

So anyhoo. I've ordered a i5 quad core PC to sort this out and I need to rant. I'm pretty sure it will run a lot better.
i'm sure it will ( if OSX is having issues )

just curious. do you know which model the i5 processor is?

Heater

24 Jun 2017

aeox wrote:
24 Jun 2017

It's a i5 2300 running at 3.1ghz. Not the fasted but i'm on a budget.

aeox
Competition Winner

24 Jun 2017

Heater wrote:
24 Jun 2017
aeox wrote:
24 Jun 2017

It's a i5 2300 running at 3.1ghz. Not the fasted but i'm on a budget.
yea, not terrible. could be a lot worse!

Oquasec

24 Jun 2017

Well he never mentions using an interface. Cuz coreaudio is probably not even comparable to an interface.
If you have an interface you could use balanced mode at 25% with most modern processors [anything that came out after 2011] with little to no issues :P
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

jonheal

24 Jun 2017

Welcome to the dark side, my friend. It's not so bad here in DLL Hell. Please deposit your firstborn child and/or a virgin by the altar in your way out.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

aeox
Competition Winner

24 Jun 2017

Oquasec wrote:
24 Jun 2017
Well he never mentions using an interface. Cuz coreaudio is probably not even comparable to an interface.
If you have an interface you could use balanced mode at 25% with most modern processors [anything that came out after 2011] with little to no issues :P
oops, i just assume everyone has a audio interface.

Steedus
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2017

Hmm I'm running Windows 10.. In the last few months I've been noticing Reason glitching out for a split second maybe once every hour or so. I've bought a new interface, and have upgraded to v9.5 and it was still there. A friend told me the wifi in the computer could be causing it, so I switched that off, but still the problem is there... I'm at a loss .. I think next I'm going to try buying a whole new computer .. very annoying. I only run small sessions.

Running DELL XPS 9200 tower
4th gen i7 @ 3.6GHz, quad-core HT, 8MB cache
12GB 2133MHz RAM
3TB 7200rpm SATA drive
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Gen 2

Gorgon

26 Jun 2017

Steedus wrote:
26 Jun 2017
Hmm I'm running Windows 10.. In the last few months I've been noticing Reason glitching out for a split second maybe once every hour or so. I've bought a new interface, and have upgraded to v9.5 and it was still there. A friend told me the wifi in the computer could be causing it, so I switched that off, but still the problem is there... I'm at a loss .. I think next I'm going to try buying a whole new computer .. very annoying. I only run small sessions.

Running DELL XPS 9200 tower
4th gen i7 @ 3.6GHz, quad-core HT, 8MB cache
12GB 2133MHz RAM
3TB 7200rpm SATA drive
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Gen 2
I have experienced little "glitches" whenever I touch a VST device.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Last Alternative

26 Jun 2017

Since 2009 when I started using Reason (4), I have had 3 computers: a PC laptop, PC desktop (I built) and this iMac. I have always had problems of some kind in Reason, where there were zero issues elsewhere in each computer besides an occasion or 2 which was sorted out. But never in my life have I had so much grief and spent so much money and time replacing gear, speaking to tech support, endless updating, etc. only to STILL have problems with Reason.
I am convinced there is some sort of underlying bug that never gets fixed by Propellerhead. That's my theory.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Oquasec

26 Jun 2017

Did they put that alt clickin thing back for vsts?
Producer/Programmer.

SA Studio

27 Jun 2017

It's good to get a PC. People were running Reason on Bootcamp on MBP's and getting +50% performance just by running Reason in a simulated Windows environment.

Apple lost their edge a good 4 years ago.

demt

27 Jun 2017

well done,there are limits to gold plate
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Oquasec

27 Jun 2017

As a guy who grew up with windows, and later added linux to a dualboot system...I'd say I recall mac being behind windows since 7 came out in terms of performance.
Producer/Programmer.

joeyluck

27 Jun 2017

macOS performance for me is superb when running everything else except for Reason. I got another update from Propellerhead today that they are looking into a fix.

jonheal

27 Jun 2017

My take on it is that before you blame the OS for running Reason like crap — and assuming you are willing to endure the pain and suffering of reinstalling all your stuff:

1. Wipe your hard drive.
2. Reinstall your OS
3. Install your audio drivers
4. Install Reason

Does it work fine now? Then something else on your system was hosing things up.

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2017

I get mixed performance and performance stability between PC and Mac. It really depends on the program.

On one program I found I got better performance running my program inside a virtual machine running Windows / Linux. On others it's smoother in MacOS.

It really depends on what OS the codebase favours.

joeyluck

27 Jun 2017

jonheal wrote:
27 Jun 2017
My take on it is that before you blame the OS for running Reason like crap — and assuming you are willing to endure the pain and suffering of reinstalling all your stuff:

1. Wipe your hard drive.
2. Reinstall your OS
4. Install Reason

Reason performance in macOS 10.12 (Sierra) is a known issue and confirmed by Propellerhead.
Other apps for me run better than on my previous computer. Reason also ran well on my old MacBook Pro running 10.9.5 (Mavericks). So I'm not sure what the issue is with Reason and macOS Sierra.

macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) was recently announced. Due out in the fall. Which will bring some nice improvements. Maybe some other stuff not mentioned? But I don't think it will fix any of the Reason issues, as that fix would still need to come from Propellerhead. Again, basing this on the fact that my other apps are running great in Sierra and seeing the performance I would expect from those on the hardware in which they are running.

https://www.apple.com/macos/high-sierra-preview/

MarkTarlton

27 Jun 2017

I have a mid 2012 MBP(2.9ghz) and am not having the same issues and haven't even upgraded the ram or hd(not solid state).

I will say that I have been there and it's no fun. Every time you hit a wall especially after spending cash it gets to be frustrating. I have always loved my macs over my pcs just cuz of updates, and other various non musical fire alarms that pop up in the middle of creative spurt...lets not turn this thread into mac vs pc...that is so boring and even more frustrating. good luck!!

FATCheese

27 Jun 2017

If you ask me I think they have to rewrite the whole code of Reason. Much like they did when people wanted to control the tempo in a song.

With Props hiring new coding talent it wouldn't surprise me.
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/realfatcheese

And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !

Hell yeah E., you're a "cheesius".

jonheal

27 Jun 2017

joeyluck wrote:
27 Jun 2017
jonheal wrote:
27 Jun 2017

1. Wipe your hard drive.
2. Reinstall your OS
4. Install Reason

Reason performance in macOS 10.12 (Sierra) is a known issue and confirmed by Propellerhead.
Other apps for me run better than on my previous computer. Reason also ran well on my old MacBook Pro running 10.9.5 (Mavericks). So I'm not sure what the issue is with Reason and macOS Sierra.

macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) was recently announced. Due out in the fall. Which will bring some nice improvements. Maybe some other stuff not mentioned? But I don't think it will fix any of the Reason issues, as that fix would still need to come from Propellerhead. Again, basing this on the fact that my other apps are running great in Sierra and seeing the performance I would expect from those on the hardware in which they are running.

https://www.apple.com/macos/high-sierra-preview/

OK. then. :)

Heater

27 Jun 2017

Well I got the motherboard bundle installed today and the difference in performance is incredible.

Stuff on my 2015 i5 MacBook pro what would stutter and crack and pop with a 2 to 3 reading on the dsp meter barely heads north of of 1 blip on the new motherboard.

Time to download a shed load of VSTs.
joeyluck wrote:
27 Jun 2017
macOS performance for me is superb when running everything else except for Reason. I got another update from Propellerhead today that they are looking into a fix.
I really hope they fix it soon but at the moment I find it just about unusable.

joeyluck

27 Jun 2017

Heater wrote:
27 Jun 2017
Well I got the motherboard bundle installed today and the difference in performance is incredible.

Stuff on my 2015 i5 MacBook pro what would stutter and crack and pop with a 2 to 3 reading on the dsp meter barely heads north of of 1 blip on the new motherboard.

Time to download a shed load of VSTs.
joeyluck wrote:
27 Jun 2017
I really hope they fix it soon but at the moment I find it just about unusable.
Yeah fingers crossed! Luckily I'm quite an efficient Reason user. Got the job done with my 2008 MacBook Pro for close to 10 years. And could still use it now really. My needs haven't increased from two months ago. But would rather like to see the performance I should out of my new computer.

I realize that it might not all on Propellerhead given the differences in performance between OS versions. But the fact that all other software I use is performing very well as expected in Sierra, means maybe the change just shed light on something buggy in Reason? Rather than the OS being the culprit of the problem...

Good to know Propellerhead is aware and is looking into it. I trust they will find a fix soon.

AttenuationHz

27 Jun 2017

Anyone on mac have Samsung SSD's might be worth running the SSD health check app Samsung Magician, good for windows too!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

joeyluck

27 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Jun 2017
Anyone on mac have Samsung SSD's might be worth running the SSD health check app Samsung Magician, good for windows too!
I did on my old MacBook Pro. Now I've got the PCIe-based flash storage. Whoosh! Incredibly faster than my old SSD. It's quite impressive. It's what most Mac users have now that have purchased a new Mac in the past few years. Used to be an option, but I think it's standard for most models (at least for all breeds of MacBooks).

• Information