Reason 5 song file failed to open in reason 9.5

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
hdom23

24 Jun 2017

Today, i tried to open a Rason 5 song file, and orchestral template I downloaded from a forum (using Orkestra sample library), and this file failed to open in Reason 9.5 - why is this?
I also mistakenly tried to open the file in Reason 7.1, it also did not open, and then I found I had to restart my iMac 2011 using OSX 10.7.5, in order to regain access to Reason 9.5.
I read somewhere that one reason could be restricted user share access, not sure what this means, but it is frustrating not to be able to open the template in Reason 9.5
I have had no problem opening Reason 7 song files in 9.5
Any suggestions?

WongoTheSane

24 Jun 2017

hdom23 wrote:
24 Jun 2017
Today, i tried to open a Rason 5 song file, and orchestral template I downloaded from a forum (using Orkestra sample library), and this file failed to open in Reason 9.5 - why is this?
I also mistakenly tried to open the file in Reason 7.1, it also did not open, and then I found I had to restart my iMac 2011 using OSX 10.7.5, in order to regain access to Reason 9.5.
I read somewhere that one reason could be restricted user share access, not sure what this means, but it is frustrating not to be able to open the template in Reason 9.5
I have had no problem opening Reason 7 song files in 9.5
Any suggestions?
The file itself could be corrupted. Have you tried opening it in Reason 5 (if you still have it) to make sure?

Alternately, you could post a link to the file and see if other people can open it, that might help in determining if the problem comes from the song file itself or from your setup...

hdom23

24 Jun 2017

I might try that, but, here is the link to the forum post; perhaps the file was saved with self-contained file settings saved'; but I liked the song file because it has Combinators that key switch between different NN XTs, something i have not yet been able to figure out.

http://ocremix.org/community/topic/2752 ... hing-talk/

Ostermilk

24 Jun 2017

It loads fine here in 9.5 on Windows.

I've zipped it up after re-saving from 9.5, see if that helps.
Orchestral Template.zip

WongoTheSane

24 Jun 2017

Yes, it loads fine here too. Here's an 8.3 version so you can test that too:

Orchestral Template (R8.3).zip
(769.35 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

hdom23

24 Jun 2017

Thanks for all your help and trouble, but the file still won't open; I have always wondered whether a song file saved on a Windows system will open on a Mac system, even though it is same program.
I mean I opened a black song file and then attempted to open the template, and this crashes Reason; There is no error message. Or send failure to open report form.
strange. I tink I will just make my own template, instead, lol;

madmacman

24 Jun 2017

hdom23 wrote:
24 Jun 2017
Thanks for all your help and trouble, but the file still won't open; I have always wondered whether a song file saved on a Windows system will open on a Mac system, even though it is same program.
It definitely should! But if you want to give it a (last) try with a Mac-created version on R9.5, then here we go:
Attachments
Orchestral Template.reason.zip
(768.88 KiB) Downloaded 40 times

hdom23

24 Jun 2017

Yes, the file opened fine, thanks for your help, this is a great forum and I am glad I finally joined; everyone has been real helpful.
I am not in my studio at the moment, where another mac is, with the latest version of osx, perhaps this problem has something to do with 10.7; I am even surprised that 9.5 works so well on an old Mac, and with only 4 GB RAM installed in the one I amtoday using to sketch with.
But if there is an .reason or .rms etc extension I understand there is no problem about porting song files between Windows and Mac, so why it did not happen in this case, is baffling.

• Information