Anyone using Line6 FBV MK3 in Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Coalspeak

20 Jun 2017

Hey all,

First post here. Tried searching, but only got results that answered half my questions. Reason has been my primary DAW for about 7 years now, mainly for live backing tracks, and bouncing quick demos for my band. However I'm trying to finally set up a MIDI foot controlled live looping rig for some solo acoustic performances. I saw various videos online of people using the Line6 FBV MkII to control record/playback within Reason, so I know its possible. However, my OCD prompted me to buy the most recent FBV controller (MK3 Pro), and I'm having a hard time assigning any of the functions (via Remote Override Mapping). The board wasn't recognized under control surfaces, so i manually setup it up under the FBV MkII... but still no luck. I downloaded all the FBV Control software from Line6 and everything. Has anyone had any luck using the MK3 Pro in Reason? I'm still lazily running 8.0, maybe this has something to do with it? Any help is appreciated!

Redster

21 Jun 2017

I use the Mk2 extensively and have hacked out remote maps for it. I'm not sure what the spec is of the Mk3 - there seems to be some limitations - but I will have a read of the manual at some point and try and figure out whats going on in terms of midi compatibility.

There certainly is not a formal Reason codec for it, so it will have to be written. There are other persons on this forum much better than me at that kinda schizzle.

Redster

21 Jun 2017

Ok so it appears the 3 is just a flashier version of the mk2, so make sure you have Line6 Monkey Installed and use that to update the firmware (if necessary) then use the Line 6 FBV control application to change the settings of the board by installing the correct setting profile.

In the Line6 FBV control presets (usually installed in your documents folder) there should be a "Propellerhead Remote.fbv" - load that one into the board. Close the FBV control (you cant have this running at the same time as Reason).

Then open Reason and go to the edit menu, control surfaces, auto-detect surfaces and it should detect in Reason as a Shortboard Mk2.

This will be set up automatically with the basic sequencer controls like play, stop, record etc. Away you go.

I recommend switching these controls out to standard MIDI CC messages and using remote over-ride right-click and assign - that way you can re-map anything you like to anything else without any confusing behavior and you can assign anything you like and not mis-fire with your foot (its really annoying when you are trying to change a function and you accidentally switch patches for example - particularly when you are playing live). I have provided a hacked codec and an FBV control template to do this within the 1.61 version of Reds Reason Live Guitar Rig which you can find here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7498991

In that package is the remote map, the FBV template and the manual explains how you use it (see the last page). The map is basically assigning every switch to basic CC's that are not used so hitting a switch wont do anything unless you assign it to something.

Hope that works for you fella!

Red

• Information