Is there a place dedicated to just Reason's CV here?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Oquasec

19 Jun 2017

Like a dedicated repository of organized methods from various regarding control voltage, in one area.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

selig
RE Developer

19 Jun 2017

Oquasec wrote:
selig wrote:
17 Jun 2017
Oquasec wrote:I'm thinking of buying welsh's synthesizer cookbook & maybe some CV/Gate novels. Does subtractor let you turn off both oscillators and use just the noise osc?
Yes, by keeping OSC 2 OFF and turning the MIX knob all the way to OSC 2 - then turn noise on and that's all you'll hear!
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
This is exactly what I'm on about. I actually overlooked something like that :? :thumbs_up:
OK, but this isn't anything you'd find in your suggested CV sub-forum, right?

Selig Audio, LLC

jonheal

19 Jun 2017

selig wrote:
19 Jun 2017
Oquasec wrote:
selig wrote:
17 Jun 2017
Oquasec wrote:I'm thinking of buying welsh's synthesizer cookbook & maybe some CV/Gate novels. Does subtractor let you turn off both oscillators and use just the noise osc?
Yes, by keeping OSC 2 OFF and turning the MIX knob all the way to OSC 2 - then turn noise on and that's all you'll hear!

This is exactly what I'm on about. I actually overlooked something like that :? :thumbs_up:

I don't know if this is a plus — or a minus — from a community perspective, but a subforum dedicated to the more escoteric aspects of using Reason, e.g. wiring stuff together in strange ways, building your own composite devices, "quasi-"modular, all that sort of stuff; a forum like this could be a gathering place for Reason's true geeks to hang out without having to "endure" the noise of, as Normen put it, "Dude, check out this VST!"

Of course while clubs are good for the club members, they can also be exclusive, and excluding. So ... it could go either way.

If such a forum were brought into existence, maybe it could be called "The Lab," or something like.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

selig
RE Developer

19 Jun 2017

jonheal wrote:
selig wrote:
19 Jun 2017
Oquasec wrote:
selig wrote:
17 Jun 2017

I don't know if this is a plus — or a minus — from a community perspective, but a subforum dedicated to the more escoteric aspects of using Reason, e.g. wiring stuff together in strange ways, building your own composite devices, "quasi-"modular, all that sort of stuff; a forum like this could be a gathering place for Reason's true geeks to hang out without having to "endure" the noise of, as Normen put it, "Dude, check out this VST!"

Of course while clubs are good for the club members, they can also be exclusive, and excluding. So ... it could go either way.

If such a forum were brought into existence, maybe it could be called "The Lab," or something like.
This would include non-CV related stuff as well, right? Just trying to take the 'pulse' of the needs being expressed here, and be sure I'm understanding the motivation behind the suggestions and not just the suggestions themselves.

Selig Audio, LLC

jonheal

19 Jun 2017

Yes, and of course I am stating only my own desires. Simply put, an "advanced topics" forum (even though I am no doubt still mastering some basics. :))
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2017

Looking at the forum headers again, "VST Plugins" should be under "Hardware and Other Software"..anyway

What we need a Forum called "Reason I/O's" or "The I/O's of Reason" this can included sub forums.
Midi:
Remote Mappings:
Modular setups:
External CV Hardware: ? (This section could be for where people have hooked up external hardware and using Reason CV to control it)
and the main section about hooking CV's up etc..

I can see this being a hardcore area, nothing wrong in that, it's still an open group..

ejanuska

19 Jun 2017

To the uninitiated or non-technical, CV can be confusing at first. A lot of material to digest. If you don't know envelopes from LFOs, or Gate from Note, it can be intimidating. The nice thing about it that you can plug stuff in and not worry about breaking anything, unlike real world CV.

Maybe they don't even know what they don't know and can't even form a logical question to ask.
Maybe they prefer to learn by reading a conversation in a thread rather than reading a manual.
Lets face it, manuals are a great reference, and the Reason manual is pretty good, but it's still a manual. That in itself is a put-off to some.

I suppose these folks want to read posts in a sub-forum dedicated to CV so they don't have to sift through all the non-CV content in the general forum.

I think a CV forum is a good idea. IMO the VST forum should have been rolled into the RE forum. The Articles forum should be rolled into Reason General since it has very little traffic, the Alihoopa forum can be deleted or rolled into Reason Music.

MannequinRaces

19 Jun 2017

As others have expressed I think it's a good idea to have a dedicated CV forum to avoid the noise of sifting or searching through the other forums for things that are of interest to me.

Every time I go to the General Forum there are posts about hardware (which computer to buy, etc.) that should be moved to the Hardware / Other Software forum, or other examples of people posting things that should go in The Kitchen forum.

If CV had a dedicated forum those of us who like / love / want to learn more about CV have a place to go. I would keep it dedicated to just Reason's CV and not other modular hardware / software (there's other places to post that stuff). CV and turning the rack around and the modular environment is what makes Reason unique amongst other DAWs. No doubt there would be some crossover between the RE forum and the proposed CV forum because I'm sure people will ask what REs are best of CV uses, etc. and that would be fine and appropriate within a forum for discussing CV.

Because CV topics would be separated out it would be easier for new users to find a 'home' from which they can dig in and learn why so many of us like Reason for this amazing feature.

Oquasec

19 Jun 2017

This is the only thing I'll disagree with. I'd like a "CV Period" Area that is nothing but the literal theory of the wire and every single possible detail about why these wires need to be put in certain ways to do whatever blah blah for the guys who are somewhat interested. I have gotten curious because of thor and the A-series rack extension and would like to utilize a key feature of Reason much more than I usually do.
Producer/Programmer.

selig
RE Developer

19 Jun 2017

Oquasec wrote:This is the only thing I'll disagree with. I'd like a "CV Period" Area that is nothing but the literal theory of the wire and every single possible detail about why these wires need to be put in certain ways to do whatever blah blah for the guys who are somewhat interested. I have gotten curious because of thor and the A-series rack extension and would like to utilize a key feature of Reason much more than I usually do.
Sounds more like a wiki or FAQ. A forum may or may not address those issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

fotizimo

19 Jun 2017

selig wrote:
19 Jun 2017
Some good suggestions here! Can I ask a simple question that may help understand the requests for a sub forum for CV: What would having a sub-forum facilitate?

I ask because sometimes a proposed solution is not the best way to address the root issue, so IMO it's best to first clarify the root issue and then discuss possible solutions.
So from my point of view, a lot of the various sections of this site deal with the "latest and greatest" RE or (now) VST, and very little has to do with dedicated modular synthesis within Reason. If I wanted to learn about various elements of modular synthesis, I need to go through all of the different sections and find bit and pieces. There will be some under tutorials, and some under RE, but nothing dedicated.

Yes, there are tonnes of thread discussing the various ways to interconnect RE's (instruments and effects) together, but nothing dedicated to actual modular synthesis with Reason. Look through the first few pages of the "Reason General", "RE", and "Tutorial" sections, and try and find anything that could be defined as modular synthesis within the first 5 pages of any of those sections.

Just my two cents.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

selig
RE Developer

19 Jun 2017

fotizimo wrote:
selig wrote:
19 Jun 2017
Some good suggestions here! Can I ask a simple question that may help understand the requests for a sub forum for CV: What would having a sub-forum facilitate?

I ask because sometimes a proposed solution is not the best way to address the root issue, so IMO it's best to first clarify the root issue and then discuss possible solutions.
So from my point of view, a lot of the various sections of this site deal with the "latest and greatest" RE or (now) VST, and very little has to do with dedicated modular synthesis within Reason. If I wanted to learn about various elements of modular synthesis, I need to go through all of the different sections and find bit and pieces. There will be some under tutorials, and some under RE, but nothing dedicated.

Yes, there are tonnes of thread discussing the various ways to interconnect RE's (instruments and effects) together, but nothing dedicated to actual modular synthesis with Reason. Look through the first few pages of the "Reason General", "RE", and "Tutorial" sections, and try and find anything that could be defined as modular synthesis within the first 5 pages of any of those sections.

Just my two cents.
OK, but a modular synth forum will include much more than just CV.

Seems there are two different suggestions being made here from what I'm seeing - modular synth take and CV basics. I'm not sure we need sub-forums for every niche of Reason, but I also agree these subjects are not always easy to find.

I've let Kenni know about this thread so this question can be addressed!

Selig Audio, LLC

Oquasec

19 Jun 2017

Ah. Well a subforum for just CV in itself is too much.It would have to include well...the synths themselves as well as the methods for each and every plugin involved.
Learning a plugin inside and out, [Especially a reason one] would be quite the number of pages if propellerhead was to go into detail about each plugin like they did directly on their website that explains what they are on a fundamental level and experimentation will always be necessary regardless of how much research is done.
They covered their modules already of course, and the rack extension developers put a front page description for their synths for operating.
The manual covers some uses of cv as well.
Producer/Programmer.

kungubu

19 Jun 2017

selig wrote:
19 Jun 2017
fotizimo wrote:
selig wrote:
19 Jun 2017

Just my two cents.

Seems there are two different suggestions being made here from what I'm seeing - modular synth take and CV basics. I'm not sure we need sub-forums for every niche of Reason, but I also agree these subjects are not always easy to find.

Why not a forum for cables in general. Hooking things up. Modular in a broader sense. For people interested in discussing creatives setups, solving issues, finding work arounds that involves hooking devices up with each other (or for that matter routing things in a mod matrix). I'm also fed up with all the VST talk - buy this and buy that. It's more fun to discuss what you can do with what you got...

selig
RE Developer

19 Jun 2017

kungubu wrote:
19 Jun 2017
selig wrote:
19 Jun 2017
fotizimo wrote:
selig wrote:
19 Jun 2017

Just my two cents.

Why not a forum for cables in general. Hooking things up. Modular in a broader sense. For people interested in discussing creatives setups, solving issues, finding work arounds that involves hooking devices up with each other (or for that matter routing things in a mod matrix). I'm also fed up with all the VST talk - buy this and buy that. It's more fun to discuss what you can do with what you got...
Different strokes for different folks - room for everyone here!
I think that a forum for cables would be the Tutorials and Techniques forum, since most tutorials in Reason involve hooking things up with cables.
Still trying to find consensus on what folks are looking for - seems to be more than one idea for what's needed here.
Am taking all suggestions into consideration!
Selig Audio, LLC

Oquasec

19 Jun 2017

Vsts have cv cables in them now, so they are fine in my book. But yep, a subforum about Cv and gate in general, is a very good idea.
Producer/Programmer.

QVprod

19 Jun 2017

Piggybacking off of Selig, I'd have to agree it seems there are various different wants regarding what this sub forum would cover. Because of the nature of Reason's capabilities, CV routing applies to everything including:

- Reason's synths and fx,

- Hardware synths via the EMI or the Silent Way Voice Controller RE

- VST synths and effects, as the VST instrument device has CV inputs for gate, note, pitch wheel, mod wheel, as well as the 8 modulation inputs the VST FX device also has. *Keep in mind that while VST's don't have CV outputs, there are a few devices that will convert audio to CV including Thor, Audio to CV, and pretty much any RE synth with both an audio input and a mod matrix .

So you can see the question would be; where is the line drawn to what belongs specifically to a CV forum that wouldn't simply fall under Tutorials and Techniques? There would also be some crossover with the Hardware and Other Software forum

The only thing that came to my mind was perhaps a separation between audio mixing tutorials/threads and instrument related tutorials/threads. That would separate the modular threads from the audio threads, but then there's still some grey area for people who use CV as an automation tool within a mix.

That said, if we were to however create an additional forum or sub forum(s), Carly(Poohbear)'s suggestion seems to have the most logical separation to address what I've listed above.
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
19 Jun 2017
Midi:
Remote Mappings:
Modular setups:
External CV Hardware: ? (This section could be for where people have hooked up external hardware and using Reason CV to control it)
and the main section about hooking CV's up etc..
That idea could perhaps be refined to 4 sub forums created within Tutorials and Techniques including:

Audio Mixing
Creative midi routing and Remote mapping
Reason Modular and CV Routing (software)
External hardware control.

That would probably best categorize everything for those who need the separation, however there are about 3 years of threads that would need to be categorized and moved into all of these sub forums for this change to be effective. It would require a lot of of work and time to accomplish this. So whether or not the amount of work and time required to make this happen is worth it is a valid consideration, especially if it's only a small niche of users that would actually benefit from it.

Jagwah

20 Jun 2017

Still think it's a bad idea to break the forum up into many different categories, it's not like there is a million people here and forums are overcrowded. The T&T forum works fine as is, but to break it up into multiple pages is going to make it more difficult for people with answers to come across your questions, plus the categories already look a little messy and overwhelming as is. Really disagree with this idea.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2017

Jagwah wrote:
20 Jun 2017
Still think it's a bad idea to break the forum up into many different categories, it's not like there is a million people here and forums are overcrowded. The T&T forum works fine as is, but to break it up into multiple pages is going to make it more difficult for people with answers to come across your questions, plus the categories already look a little messy and overwhelming as is. Really disagree with this idea.
One thing to bear in mind is how others use forums as we all probably use them differently, e.g. When I first came to ReasonTalk I spent the first 3\6 months in the Reason Music section, did not even look at any other section. so what I'm saying is by having more groups people can clearly see what sections to follow.

I do think that there are a lot of threads out there in other sections that should be rewritten for the T&T and what I mean by that is from the original thread the end result of a discussion and not the discussion it self, I don't want to look at how people failed to worked out the right answer but the answer it self.

submonsterz

20 Jun 2017

[Redacted]

Gaja

20 Jun 2017

Since all the inquiries here seem to revolve about finding the right threads and posts, it appears to me the answer would not be to convolute the further, but to implement some kind of intelligent search engine, which would in the ideal case know the kind of things you're looking for (and could be as convoluted as needed) and deliver all the results you want.

Cheers!
Fredhoven

submonsterz

20 Jun 2017

Gaja wrote:
20 Jun 2017
Since all the inquiries here seem to revolve about finding the right threads and posts, it appears to me the answer would not be to convolute the further, but to implement some kind of intelligent search engine, which would in the ideal case know the kind of things you're looking for (and could be as convoluted as needed) and deliver all the results you want.
But your forgetting your suggestion makes sense and that seems in short demand around these parts you know lol.
I agree this seems a logical approach and one that causes less confusion .

sdst
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2017

i don't think in nothing more fun than a modular forum for

Reason cv
Reaktor
Softube Modular
eurorack
tomita
everything about modular

but that's my opinion

Jagwah

20 Jun 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
20 Jun 2017
One thing to bear in mind is how others use forums as we all probably use them differently, e.g. When I first came to ReasonTalk I spent the first 3\6 months in the Reason Music section, did not even look at any other section. so what I'm saying is by having more groups people can clearly see what sections to follow.
We should break up the forum into more categories for incase someone can't use a forum properly???

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg
jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg (74.84 KiB) Viewed 3258 times

AttenuationHz

20 Jun 2017

T&T request forum! Want to know how to do a thing? Request a tutorial on a thing.

Doesn't even have to be a sub forum really a prefix in T&T would do the job no?

There was a thread last night with a pretty direct question it got a pretty direct answer!
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 20 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

• Information