Is there a place dedicated to just Reason's CV here?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2017

Jagwah wrote:
20 Jun 2017
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
20 Jun 2017
One thing to bear in mind is how others use forums as we all probably use them differently, e.g. When I first came to ReasonTalk I spent the first 3\6 months in the Reason Music section, did not even look at any other section. so what I'm saying is by having more groups people can clearly see what sections to follow.
We should break up the forum into more categories for incase someone can't use a forum properly???
Now you are boarding on insulting people just because we want more choice...

submonsterz wrote:[Redacted]
what an arrogant post, you might as well have just said "Oh you need help, I know the answer but I'm not going to tell you as it's so simple that a stupid person would know it".

Kenni
Site Admin

20 Jun 2017

submonsterz wrote:
20 Jun 2017
I'm getting a face palm event here.
What is so hard to understand about CV it needs books or forums or subforums ?.
I understand people wanting to have a source of ready made contraptions so they don't have to do the work and suss them out themselves .
But really it sounds like people here except a few actually do not take ten minutes out of Thier time to actually learn the simple way CV works and the real basic values it works on .
I mean come on guys learn the types of signal and the way it can represent that signal . Everything you do to that signal can only happen and fall within them values what's hard to understand there that needs a forum .......
First of all, there's a lot of new Reason users joining ranks every single day, especially now that VST has been announced.

Secondly, there's even plenty of seasoned Reason users who never dug into the whole CV concept because they didn't really need it.

Oh, and most importantly: We do like this sort of content here, because we try to help each other, especially around the core concepts of Reason. This is the point of our very existence.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Oquasec

20 Jun 2017

I'm talking about wire gymnastics not some simple schit. I mean something you would not normally think of right off the bat, stuff you'd overlook, stuff you didn't even think was possible :P The concept of cv is simple, but as everything else there's levels to it.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

AttenuationHz

20 Jun 2017

Like most things in life reason is about self discovery. If you don't know what you want though it will be hard to discover it but if you know what to discover but just don't have the means to accomplish it a simple question usually opens a whole world of possibilities!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Oquasec

20 Jun 2017

You can learn CV without breaking anything in the digital realm, which is a good incentive to experiment more. [Inputs don't connect to outputs in software]
But there can still be an organized repository of CV knowledge somewhere later down the line, since I believe this place is specifically suited for such a thing.
Another Area is Reason Experts also.
Producer/Programmer.

fotizimo

20 Jun 2017

submonsterz wrote:
20 Jun 2017
[Redacted]
This place is really getting toxic. And it isnt the new people I am seeing this toxicity from. So genius submonsterz, where are people to learn the types of signaling you talk of in your post? You say a learning forum is a waste of time and then tell people to go learn what is they want a place to learn from. The only facepalm, is your twisted logic.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

Oquasec

20 Jun 2017

Those who would love the idea of a repository filled with nothing but the deep abyss of wiring [The analogue method] with as many findings & discoveries of the various rolled up into one area. (My hyperbole is a trademark) The benefits of this software in it's design and layout means some serious Diy additions and with more knowledge comes more ways to do things. I have a feeling the people who stuck with reason already have a fundamental level of cv knowledge under their belt, and those who do not care for more methods can simply not heed these threads, heh.
Producer/Programmer.

Jagwah

21 Jun 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
20 Jun 2017
Jagwah wrote:
20 Jun 2017
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
20 Jun 2017
One thing to bear in mind is how others use forums as we all probably use them differently, e.g. When I first came to ReasonTalk I spent the first 3\6 months in the Reason Music section, did not even look at any other section. so what I'm saying is by having more groups people can clearly see what sections to follow.
We should break up the forum into more categories for incase someone can't use a forum properly???
Now you are boarding on insulting people just because we want more choice..
Sorry Carly, I was quite shocked by your suggestion. I was trying to be funny about it but in hindsight it was at your expense and you didn't deserve that, sorry.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2017

Jagwah wrote:
21 Jun 2017

Sorry Carly, I was quite shocked by your suggestion. I was trying to be funny about it but in hindsight it was at your expense and you didn't deserve that, sorry.
apology accepted.

Can you please explain why you are shocked by my suggestion?

(I'm fully up for a discussion, what I am suggesting and others here could be wrong, but so far no one has really said why it's wrong)

Jagwah

21 Jun 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
21 Jun 2017
Jagwah wrote:
21 Jun 2017

apology accepted.

(I'm fully up for a discussion, what I am suggesting and others here could be wrong, but so far no one has really said why it's wrong)
Just that specific suggestion that it might help someone browse a forum. IMO all of this stuff fits just fine into T&T. Also I really think there's way too many categories as is, it's messy, and also consider is someone going to open up all of them? Probably not, so a lot of things will get missed due to an overwhelming amount of forums. I agree with some of the merging suggestions for the same reasons.

submonsterz

21 Jun 2017

Lol toxic or anything else people are calling me I'm a relatively new reason user to most here by years
[Redacted]

submonsterz

21 Jun 2017

Anything other than a sticky of say peffs couple of page diagram and description of CV .
Everything else is patches or tutorials and both have all ready got places here on the forum .
Why need more .

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2017

Jagwah wrote:
21 Jun 2017
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
21 Jun 2017
Jagwah wrote:
21 Jun 2017

apology accepted.

Just that specific suggestion that it might help someone browse a forum. IMO all of this stuff fits just fine into T&T. Also I really think there's way too many categories as is, it's messy, and also consider is someone going to open up all of them? Probably not, so a lot of things will get missed due to an overwhelming amount of forums. I agree with some of the merging suggestions for the same reasons.
People use things differently, I bet my workflow is totally different from yours in the way you use Reason, it does not make one right and one wrong, just different ways. Some people like forums top heavy (not many categories) makes it easy to surf around them keeping an eye on most things, but the point I made earlier, when I first came to this forum I was only interested in the music side of things and my shortcut to the forum was straight to that category, that category could have been several layers down, still would not have effected the way I viewed it.
I went onto a new forum (car related) the other day, there were a lot of categories but a few minutes later I found the perfect section for why I was there and got the answer to my question.

If you are keeping an eye on a lot categories, adding a few more won't effect your workflow as it best to view the forum from the quick link unread posts etc.

The problem with the T&T section (and I'm not talking about people creating tutorials or have Tips to give ), as I said earlier really it's the end result of a discussion where some solid information came out, again as I said I don't necessary want to read about failings to get to the good stuff. So there is stuff in a lot of the other groups that should be made into a T&T, some people don't have the time or just can't be ass'ed (which is a shame).

With regards to people who are sayings CV is just a number between 0 and 127, great, thumbs up.

Do you know what a socket set is?
Do you know what a screwdriver is?

If you have answered yes to both them questions, then you know what simple tools they are...... Now go and take that car apart, oh there are a couple of faults that will fixing before you put it back together again...

CV is one of these simple things that in turn can be very complicated.
Setups can be complicated but broken down and explained they become simpler.
I still see things that people are doing with CV's which does not just make me think, Ooo that's a bit different, it's makes me open my eyes to a bigger picture of where else I can take this..
I do post on a number FB sites and I get a lot of, Oh, I never thought of doing that way or I never realised that could be done and I'm talking simple stuff, but wait what is simple to me is not simple to other people because they lack that bit knowledge and like wise they will know things I don't know because I lack that knowledge. Forums are great places to share knowledge.

The back of the rack to me just as important to the front of the rack to others. Cabling is a big part of Reason, it was one of the reasons that I got into the software in the first place. So to request a section on "Cabling" or the "I/O's of Reason" I think is not unreasonable considering the vast area it covers (and hence why I also split this down into sub section).

Oquasec

21 Jun 2017

There's only 2 types of cv cables in Reason. Control/modulation and gate. The interesting part is how deep a system like that is, with only 2 options given to you.
Producer/Programmer.

Jagwah

22 Jun 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
21 Jun 2017
Jagwah wrote:
21 Jun 2017
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
21 Jun 2017
Jagwah wrote:
21 Jun 2017

apology accepted.

People use things differently, I bet my workflow is totally different from yours in the way you use Reason, it does not make one right and one wrong, just different ways. Some people like forums top heavy (not many categories) makes it easy to surf around them keeping an eye on most things, but the point I made earlier, when I first came to this forum I was only interested in the music side of things and my shortcut to the forum was straight to that category, that category could have been several layers down, still would not have effected the way I viewed it.
I went onto a new forum (car related) the other day, there were a lot of categories but a few minutes later I found the perfect section for why I was there and got the answer to my question.

If you are keeping an eye on a lot categories, adding a few more won't effect your workflow as it best to view the forum from the quick link unread posts etc.

The problem with the T&T section (and I'm not talking about people creating tutorials or have Tips to give ), as I said earlier really it's the end result of a discussion where some solid information came out, again as I said I don't necessary want to read about failings to get to the good stuff. So there is stuff in a lot of the other groups that should be made into a T&T, some people don't have the time or just can't be ass'ed (which is a shame).

With regards to people who are sayings CV is just a number between 0 and 127, great, thumbs up.

Do you know what a socket set is?
Do you know what a screwdriver is?

If you have answered yes to both them questions, then you know what simple tools they are...... Now go and take that car apart, oh there are a couple of faults that will fixing before you put it back together again...

CV is one of these simple things that in turn can be very complicated.
Setups can be complicated but broken down and explained they become simpler.
I still see things that people are doing with CV's which does not just make me think, Ooo that's a bit different, it's makes me open my eyes to a bigger picture of where else I can take this..
I do post on a number FB sites and I get a lot of, Oh, I never thought of doing that way or I never realised that could be done and I'm talking simple stuff, but wait what is simple to me is not simple to other people because they lack that bit knowledge and like wise they will know things I don't know because I lack that knowledge. Forums are great places to share knowledge.

The back of the rack to me just as important to the front of the rack to others. Cabling is a big part of Reason, it was one of the reasons that I got into the software in the first place. So to request a section on "Cabling" or the "I/O's of Reason" I think is not unreasonable considering the vast area it covers (and hence why I also split this down into sub section).
The T&T forum shouldn't be viewed as a comprehensive learning resource, people need a book or series of videos for that sort of thing.

Maybe threads could be marked with 'solved' when they are solved, and the response that solved the problem could be moved to just below the question and also highlighted. Not sure what the capabilities are with these forums but I agree there is a problem of having to wade through multiple responses when a search does return thread results you are looking for, and there may not even be a correct answer there.

O1B

17 Mar 2018

I read through this thread. So, where are we with this?

CV being in the T and T forum makes sense if we make Cv just about Cables.
But, it's not.

It's Brands. Doepfer? Make Noise? Jiggery Pokery?
It's Choosing Miranda (JP) or ReVolt or a real Eurorack device.
It's discussions on Best for ? Work-arounds? (Alternate T) Little known Facts/Easter Eggs.
It's how to interact between HW and SW, if necessary through multiple means.
Its Sharing Patches? Best Practices?

A CV sections seems a no-brainer to me.
There is no need for HW, and SW to be separate however. Makes sense they're all in the same place.

As of Now... Do I choose the Hardware or T&T Forum... and where did others choose? Kitchen?

CV is so Reason, it's out of RESPECT that there would be a CV section (anything CV) here.

anyways....I have questions.
And, there's no better place to go on the web for that than here.

That pic had me cracking up!

QVprod

17 Mar 2018

O1B wrote:
17 Mar 2018

Quick answer from the sum of this thread; there aren't enough cv and modular threads being made to warrant it. As an example the VST forum exists because there were just so many VST threads being started that we needed a separate forum for it outside of hardware and other software.

MannequinRaces

17 Mar 2018

QVprod wrote:
17 Mar 2018
O1B wrote:
17 Mar 2018

Quick answer from the sum of this thread; there aren't enough cv and modular threads being made to warrant it. As an example the VST forum exists because there were just so many VST threads being started that we needed a separate forum for it outside of hardware and other software.
So what if there aren't enough CV threads. It'd be nice to have a separate forum so people don't have to wade through the Reason General forum to read about CV things.

eusti

17 Mar 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
17 Mar 2018
QVprod wrote:
17 Mar 2018

So what if there aren't enough CV threads. It'd be nice to have a separate forum so people don't have to wade through the Reason General forum to read about CV things.
Maybe to compel the powers that be to do so, just post more CV threads? Questions, tips, how tos, etc...

D.
Last edited by eusti on 18 Mar 2018, edited 1 time in total.

QVprod

18 Mar 2018

eusti wrote:
17 Mar 2018
MannequinRaces wrote:
17 Mar 2018

Maybe to compel the powers that be to do so just post more CV threads? Questions, tips, how tos, etc...

D.
Somebody gets it! :puf_smile:

MannequinRaces

18 Mar 2018

And Allihoopa General - 483 posts and Article Discussions - 257 posts are hot topics too right?! I haven't counted but I'm sure there are more CV related posts than both of these combined...

joeyluck

18 Mar 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
18 Mar 2018
And Allihoopa General - 483 posts and Article Discussions - 257 posts are hot topics too right?! I haven't counted but I'm sure there are more CV related posts than both of these combined...
Allihoopa general was created at the time when what we have now as 'Reason General' was 'Propellerhead General' and it was still a hot topic. And since Allihoopa was/is no longer Propellerhead, it was given it's own forum to not confuse and keep them separate. And it's a platform open to many more apps, each of which could be posted about in that forum.

CV posts aren't always so theme-centric and focused. Not always very in depth. It is a major element within Reason. The next question would be if we then segment everything...an audio forum? A mastering forum? Etc.

Of course we're exploring new ways or organizing and cleaning up. There might be more sub forums added.. or at least things moved. I would love to reorganize some things very much.

Oquasec

18 Mar 2018

The appeal of a giant modular system with an unlimited number of tracks and mix/match devices which would otherwise run you a few million bucks.
A button that syncs between every computer you use so you don't scour kvr again too much. (HELL yeah props that's how you get it done)
and the ability to choose any piano roll I want too? pfffft.
Producer/Programmer.

MannequinRaces

18 Mar 2018

joeyluck wrote:
18 Mar 2018
MannequinRaces wrote:
18 Mar 2018
Allihoopa general was created at the time when what we have now as 'Reason General' was 'Propellerhead General' and it was still a hot topic. And since Allihoopa was/is no longer Propellerhead, it was given it's own forum to not confuse and keep them separate. And it's a platform open to many more apps, each of which could be posted about in that forum.

CV posts aren't always so theme-centric and focused. Not always very in depth. It is a major element within Reason. The next question would be if we then segment everything...an audio forum? A mastering forum? Etc.

Of course we're exploring new ways or organizing and cleaning up. There might be more sub forums added.. or at least things moved. I would love to reorganize some things very much.
CV the way Reason does it is Reason specific. An Audio Production sub-forum that deals with audio engineering, mixing, mastering, recording, might be helpful actually.

All I'm saying is the sub-forums I like most on ReasonTalk are specific forums that are categorized, specifically Reason Music, Rack Extensions, and Tutorials and Techniques. I loathe the Reason General forum section with a passion because it's a catch all for everything including topics that should be moderated better and moved such as tons of questions about Hardware (which computer to buy, etc.). I don't want to wade through a plethora of topics when I can go directly to the subforms that interest me the most.

CV is not some voodoo art form because it's not, but some new users might be intimidated by it (I was when I was first starting out) and having a hub for CV related knowledge would be a good thing.

MannequinRaces

18 Mar 2018

eusti wrote:
17 Mar 2018
MannequinRaces wrote:
17 Mar 2018

Maybe to compel the powers that be to do so, just post more CV threads? Questions, tips, how tos, etc...

D.
I'll call up the Russians to help me get my CV spam campaign going but you DO have a point. :)

• Information