Did we ever get a definitive answer on selling/trading RE's?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
gak

04 Jun 2017

And if so, is that written somewhere where I/others can view it?

Last Alternative

04 Jun 2017

HA! I wish. If we could sell RE's we wouldn't be hostage customers LOL.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

gak

04 Jun 2017

I brought it up about a month ago because now that they're doing vsts, what difference does it make?

platzangst

04 Jun 2017

gak wrote:And if so, is that written somewhere where I/others can view it?
What sort of definitive answer are you looking for?

The official party line from PH is that REs cannot be re-sold. That's the current status, and has been from the launch of REs. People have been griping about this almost exactly as long as REs have been around, and there's been lots of gas blown back and forth about whether it's illegal or not to forbid resale under EU law, yadda yadda yadda. So far, nothing has changed, and on a practical level, selling REs is not possible since PH doesn't allow you to transfer the licenses, so the only way you could give another person control of REs you bought would be to turn complete control over your PH account to them, and that itself is against policy as well.

Now, could this possibly change? Maybe, but I doubt it. Then again, I didn't see VSTs happening in Reason anytime soon, either, so who knows. But if it ever does happen, PH tends to not announce their future plans until they're pretty much done deals, so outside of PH headquarters nobody is going to ever know for sure whether REs will be allowed to be re-sold before PH is ready to go ahead and make it happen.

So if you plan on making any financial decisions based on whether PH is going to change their minds and let you sell REs in the next couple of weeks, I suggest you do not count that money just yet.

gak

04 Jun 2017

I guess I assumed when I started this thread that it would be the assumption that now that VST's can't be used, maybe the RE market would be now open to such a thing.

My bad.

platzangst

05 Jun 2017

Well, again,... maybe? But it's kind of a leap. Opening Reason up to VSTs might put a kink in the RE market - or it might not, I don't think this can be quantified in any meaningful sense so soon after it's been implemented. But even so, would making REs transferable be a net gain for PH (and the developers) in any way? Sure, there's a lot of customers who want it - but strictly from PH's standpoint, does it benefit them in any way other than good PR? I'm not so sure it would. You selling me an RE does not mean that PH gets anything out of the deal besides server activity and possibly man-hours involved in swapping ownership of the license. So why would they? Perhaps they could charge a transfer fee like some companies do, but there's folks that would gripe about that as well. So aside from a desperation move to keep people buying REs - and we don't know yet that people will abandon REs entirely - one has to ask what PH is supposed to get out of this. It's not always enough for customers to really really want something.

gak

05 Jun 2017

TMI.

I don't care about the philosophical roman empire, just the topic. Kinda sorry I asked.

However, I've commissioned the community to add this possibility:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7501611

That way, people can buy/sell things in an organized manner.

scratchnsnifff

05 Jun 2017

gak wrote:TMI.

I don't care about the philosophical roman empire, just the topic. Kinda sorry I asked.

However, I've commissioned the community to add this possibility:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7501611

That way, people can buy/sell things in an organized manner.

There was a post about this a while back and someone had a decent idea, charge 5-10$ to sell or trade. So propellerhead gets something, and The user is satisfied. I love most of my REs, only ones I'd ever let go are possibly vk2, and some of other effects that I have stocked up, haha I think it'd be cool to even be able to donate my un-used REs to new users, wouldn't be often but there are a couple of purchases that are not seeing much action :p
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

davidvilla

05 Jun 2017

If the props are to be believed and are now all about giving us what we want (VSTs) then selling/trading REs should be in the planning stages.

I can't wait to dump Hydronexious. PLEASE SOMEONE TAKE IT.

Jagwah

06 Jun 2017

davidvilla wrote:If the props are to be believed and are now all about giving us what we want (VSTs) then selling/trading REs should be in the planning stages.
This has actually been a supposed company motto of Props for a long time, I doubt there is really a lot of weight to it. The next features we see as well as those we have seen are probably those that promise more new comers, more hangers on, and more profit than any other features. They could implement features users never even considered and tell us they were overwhelmed with data suggesting they were the most requested features. Nothing against Props, but such is business.

Allowing trading and selling of REs would only slow RE profits down and do so for the long term, and there isn't really a huge call for it.

AttenuationHz

07 Jun 2017

Well if there was a way to sell/trade old RE I'd be all for it now that VST's are here there is quit a few RE I have no use for. Be it user trade/sell or trade for a voucher or discount in the props store. But it begs the questions how would selling to another user work exactly? I'd presume because its a license it would be face value that is the price it is in the store which would mean props and the RE developers would be losing out on revenue because a new user could just buy it from the store anyway for the same price. If there was a swap system in place for discounts in the store that would be much better I feel.

Reason is going to be seeing a high volume of new users in the coming months/years I feel. Will props look at its loyal user base for all these years and reward them in some way? Free updates for life :puf_bigsmile: I'd take it! over any discounts/trades or selling of RE.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Mati Navas

20 Sep 2017

I don't think Props will ever allow us to sell/transfer RE licenses. But trading REs for shop vouchers could be a viable option for them.

Some have stated, that they'd like to delete unused REs from their account or don't want them to hang around and slow the sync process. A trading system could achieve the following things:

1) No more unneeded REs for the user
2) Vouchers (maybe 10/15% of the purchase price) are an incentive to spend more on other products in the shop

Just some thoughts on this topic.

Mikehills101

21 Sep 2017

I've learned something guys! Thanks

• Information