Having bad experience with 9.5. [RESOLVED]

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ocelot1

31 May 2017

EDIT: Thanks to this nice community I got evrything resolved!!!

sorry for this negative thread but I had to let of some steam.

I was a long time reason user but i was missing out on all the great vsts so I switched to ableton but since 9.5 supports vst I tried it a couple of days and it was a bad experience. I wasted a lot of time trying to fix things instead of making music and that is not what a daw supposed to be.

Reason had a hard time finding my vsts I had to add all subfolders of my vst folder in order for reason to find my vsts, camelcrusher is still not showing up but this is something i can live with.

But the delay compensation oh boy oh boy I use a drumbus with some vsts or Re´s and suddently the songs collapses because the drums are delayed(delay compensation is on)

When I use effects on the master same problem if an effect is active all the time there is no problem because the whole project is delayed but when you automate somthing you screwed(bypass to on and the song skips)....Im going back to ableton I really like reason but its useless right now......

Sorry for the bad vibe but im so frustrated right now.....
Last edited by ocelot1 on 02 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.

ejanuska

31 May 2017

You or you're computer are doing something wrong. It's not Reason.

ocelot1

31 May 2017

ejanuska wrote:You or you're computer are doing something wrong. It's not Reason.
What exactly do you mean? I don't have this problem with no other DAW.
Reason had always problems with Latency even before Vst support there is even a RE called VMG-01 exactly for this problem but its a pain in the ass to use and adjust....

ejanuska

31 May 2017

Most, if not all, effect plug-ins, REs and VSTs have some latency. It might be a very small amount but its there.
The VMG-01 is to compensate for latency in plug-ins so that you don't have phase issues. It's not to correct some latency issue with Reason. It also lets you measure the latency of a plug-in.

You say Reason can't find your VSTs, but when you pointed it to the folders you found them. How is that Reasons fault?

Drumbus?
Did you try adjusting the latency in the preferences?
What do you mean the song "collapses"?

aeox
Competition Winner

31 May 2017

no problems here.

of course it's not going to find your VST if it doesn't know where to find them. you have to select the folder they are installed.
also, it won't load 32 bit plugins or VST3 plugins. I believe they need to be VST 2.4 or whatever it is, until they update it.

about the delay compensation.. if anything, all of my delay problems have been solved from the feature. not made worse like you say.

what exactly is the problem with the drumbuss? your drums are out of sync or something? or the rest of the track is out of sync with the drums? explain what is happening because the " song collapsing" doesn't really help :P

CephaloPod

31 May 2017

I haven't heard of anyone else having these issues with delay compensation in 9.5.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

Gorgon

31 May 2017

ocelot1 wrote: Reason had a hard time finding my vsts I had to add all subfolders of my vst folder in order for reason to find my vsts
You had to add the folders? Oh.. The humanity.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

EnochLight

31 May 2017

ocelot1 wrote:sorry for this negative thread but I had to let of some steam.

I was a long time reason user but i was missing out on all the great vsts so I switched to ableton but since 9.5 supports vst I tried it a couple of days and it was a bad experience. I wasted a lot of time trying to fix things instead of making music and that is not what a daw supposed to be.

Reason had a hard time finding my vsts I had to add all subfolders of my vst folder in order for reason to find my vsts, camelcrusher is still not showing up but this is something i can live with.

But the delay compensation oh boy oh boy I use a drumbus with some vsts or Re´s and suddently the songs collapses because the drums are delayed(delay compensation is on)

When I use effects on the master same problem if an effect is active all the time there is no problem because the whole project is delayed but when you automate somthing you screwed(bypass to on and the song skips)....Im going back to ableton I really like reason but its useless right now......

Sorry for the bad vibe but im so frustrated right now.....
Camelcrusher used to be just 32-bit. Reason only supports 64-bit VST 2 (but you can probably use Jbridge if you really need 32 bit plugins still). As far as Reason finding your VST plugins, it scans default directories (like all DAW) and then allows you to add additional locations (like all DAW). Not sure how this is any different... from any other DAW... Just say'n...

As for your PDC issues, that's weird. Maybe you found a bug? That said, I'm sure someone else would have noticed this by now. Pity you can't report it - might be a simple fix.

Anyway, good luck!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chimp_spanner

31 May 2017

Looking at the product page for Camelcrusher now I'm gonna hazard a guess and say it's not VST2.4 compliant (looks pretty old). So that's most likely the explanation for it not showing up.

As far as plugins go, you should only have to add the root folder and all sub-folders will be scanned. So you should have like;

Program Files\VSTPlugins

And then folders inside that for all the various developers, although you can of course add as many folders as you need to. Some plugins like the NI stuff default to their own folder. Just add em and it should be okay.

As for delays on drum busses...can't say I've ever had that problem, with REs or VSTs. Could you send us a screenshot of your project so we can see what you're using? Also computer specs would be useful!

Reason 9.5 isn't 100% there yet (no initial release is) but after such vigorous testing there's no way a show-stopper like PDC not working on a buss slipped through the net! So let's see if we can figure out what's going on. Maybe upload a project that you're having issues with?

Loque

31 May 2017

Well, bad to hear that you had some bad experiences. IMO everything is pretty fine here, except for some poorly coded VSTs and some free VSTS with adware.
Reason12, Win10

ocelot1

31 May 2017

Gorgon wrote:
ocelot1 wrote: Reason had a hard time finding my vsts I had to add all subfolders of my vst folder in order for reason to find my vsts
no not just the vst folder but every single subfolder in the vst folder eg. fab filter, slate, spectrasonics and all other 15-20 folders I had otherwise they wouldn't show up. But nice comment anyway....

ocelot1

31 May 2017

What I mean with "collapses" is I have 8-12 Tracks and 4 of them are my drums so I made a drumbus and added Sausage Fattener and Echo to that bus and had some latency the drums wasn't tight anymore. I used vmg-01 to measure the latency and it was 713 samples so in order to get everything in sync I had to made a bus for every other track and use a vmg-01 and set the latency to 713 sample to make everything in sync. The same problem when I use something on the master channel and automate the bypass. Everytime I switch from bypass to on the song hangs or skips for a very short but audible moment and that is something I can't fix with vmg-01.

I also noticed how fast i get clicks and pops with reason compared to other DAWs.

Its definitely not my pc I don't have any problems with studio one or Ableton.

Specs:

Rampage Extreme V
I7 5690x
gtx 980ti
32gb ram
Prism Sound Titan -> Rme Raydat

ravisoni

31 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:Camelcrusher used to be just 32-bit.
It is available as 64 bit.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

miscend

31 May 2017

I hope you are not trying to use vmg-01 with delay compensation switched on.

miscend

31 May 2017

ocelot1 wrote:
Gorgon wrote:
no not just the vst folder but every single subfolder in the vst folder eg. fab filter, slate, spectrasonics and all other 15-20 folders I had otherwise they wouldn't show up. But nice comment anyway....
You shouldn't have to do that. There may be other issues to blame you only need to add the top directory. Check the file structure if there aren't any hidden or locked directories etc.

chimp_spanner

31 May 2017

Best thing is to replicate your problem using stock or common/free VSTs and then share the project so we can test.

EnochLight

31 May 2017

ocelot1 wrote:What I mean with "collapses" is I have 8-12 Tracks and 4 of them are my drums so I made a drumbus and added Sausage Fattener and Echo to that bus and had some latency the drums wasn't tight anymore. I used vmg-01 to measure the latency and it was 713 samples so in order to get everything in sync I had to made a bus for every other track and use a vmg-01 and set the latency to 713 sample to make everything in sync. The same problem when I use something on the master channel and automate the bypass. Everytime I switch from bypass to on the song hangs or skips for a very short but audible moment and that is something I can't fix with vmg-01.

I also noticed how fast i get clicks and pops with reason compared to other DAWs.

Specs:

Rampage Extreme V
I7 5690x
gtx 980ti
32gb ram
Instead of using vmg-01, have you tried using Reason 9.5's actual PDC? Do you have Reason's PDC turned on (in the transport)?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ocelot1

01 Jun 2017

EnochLight wrote:
ocelot1 wrote:What I mean with "collapses" is I have 8-12 Tracks and 4 of them are my drums so I made a drumbus and added Sausage Fattener and Echo to that bus and had some latency the drums wasn't tight anymore. I used vmg-01 to measure the latency and it was 713 samples so in order to get everything in sync I had to made a bus for every other track and use a vmg-01 and set the latency to 713 sample to make everything in sync. The same problem when I use something on the master channel and automate the bypass. Everytime I switch from bypass to on the song hangs or skips for a very short but audible moment and that is something I can't fix with vmg-01.

Specs:

Rampage Extreme V
I7 5690x
gtx 980ti
32gb ram
Instead of using vmg-01, have you tried using Reason 9.5's actual PDC? Do you have Reason's PDC turned on (in the transport)?
Hi,

yes I tried all combinations vmg-01 enabled and disabled with PDC on and off. No difference

chimp_spanner

01 Jun 2017

Can you share us a project with the problem or tell us the steps to recreate it?

EnochLight

01 Jun 2017

ocelot1 wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Instead of using vmg-01, have you tried using Reason 9.5's actual PDC? Do you have Reason's PDC turned on (in the transport)?
Hi,

yes I tried all combinations vmg-01 enabled and disabled with PDC on and off. No difference
Hello,

After you turn PDC on, have you gone into the respective tracks and adjusted the sample delay? Just asking, as some may not realize this needs to be done in addition:

ejanuska

01 Jun 2017

Could be you have the Echo set totally wet (default) as an insert effect on the drum buss. That would sound just like latency. Not a Reason problem, that's operator error.

The clicks and pops could mean your computer is running out of DSP power. What is the DSP meter on the transport indicating?
Is the Sausage Fattener a heavy DSP load? Try bypassing it to see.

There are settings in the Preferences that allow Reason to utilize more computer resources, look into that.

chimp_spanner

01 Jun 2017

Yeah we could do with at least seeing a screenshot of the devices on the bus!

ocelot1

02 Jun 2017

Sorry for the late answer was very busy this is the project but after reading the comment about echo I guess this may be the problem.

I removed all vsts so everybody is able to open the project except vmg-01 is all stock effects.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujbxdjp42s7tr ... eason?dl=0

scratchnsnifff

02 Jun 2017

Last night I ran serum, serum FX, some REs and some other melda vsts and my delay comp. was reading 0. I assume that means nothing was being delayed? Basically saying on my end there are no delay compensation issues, reason did crash when i opened serum after trying to install my expanse made wavetables, that was a user error though, i had to create a custom folder. But I hope your problem gets sorted so you can get back to jamming!
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

chimp_spanner

02 Jun 2017

So just a quick question; how comes there are delays on some of the drums, set to 1/128? It might sound short but it's enough to explain the delay between the drums and the click. Are you using them for anything in particular?

• Information