The Rex format is top dog for loops

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Goriila Texas

26 May 2017

I've never really used loops in my music so Dr rex has been rarely used is my workflow. But as I move into wider production range I've been chopping samples and buying loops in rex format I'm loving it tbh. Rex files are a game changer just like Rewire and RE that PH dropped the ball on imo. Being able to save files with metadata that allows those files to sync to tempo is genius. Dr rex should be a vst and could easily with the right marketing takeover soundfont as the leading loop/sample player. I don't really like Kontakt for playing loops and changing the tempo. I will be buying Recycle soon because using the watered down version in Reason doesn't have tempo detection which is the best part of Recycle. When I create rex files in Reason,those files just adopt whatever the tempo is of the project,so if loops were played originally in a different tempo,it will be off and won't match up with a drum loop.

PH needs to really invest more into Dr octo rex with a improved playback algorithm when changing tempo and it will be king imo.
Last edited by Goriila Texas on 27 May 2017, edited 3 times in total.

QVprod

26 May 2017

No need to make a VST as most DAWs can play Rex files. Dr Octo Rex playback works just fine with changing tempo, the problem is that Rex files created in Reason don't have tempo information included which pretty much just makes them glorified wave files.

Goriila Texas

26 May 2017

QVprod wrote:No need to make a VST as most DAWs can play Rex files. Dr Octo Rex playback works just fine with changing tempo, the problem is that Rex files created in Reason don't have tempo information included which pretty much just makes them glorified wave files.
That's true most DAWs can play Rex files but for example SliceX won't adjust Rex files when changing the tempo like Dr Octo.

The playback is good with Dr Octo Rex but sometimes if push too slow playback gets choppy.

QVprod

26 May 2017

Goriila Texas wrote:
QVprod wrote:No need to make a VST as most DAWs can play Rex files. Dr Octo Rex playback works just fine with changing tempo, the problem is that Rex files created in Reason don't have tempo information included which pretty much just makes them glorified wave files.
That's true most DAWs can play Rex files but for example SliceX won't adjust Rex files when changing the tempo like Dr Octo.

The playback is good with Dr Octo Rex but sometimes if push too slow playback gets choppy.
That's a bummer about SliceX then. Changing tempo is one of the main features about rex loops. Just watched a quick video on SliceX and it seems loops automatically map to the current tempo so that really weird that it wouldn't follow when changing the tempo. A setting perhaps? Clearly I'm no FL user. In Studio One I can put a Rex loops right in the sequencer and it will follow the tempo.

As far as the choppy playback when slowing the tempo down too much, that's pretty much normal time stretch behavior. You can only slow audio down but so much without introducing artifacts.

Goriila Texas

27 May 2017

QVprod wrote:
Goriila Texas wrote:

That's a bummer about SliceX then. Changing tempo is one of the main features about rex loops. Just watched a quick video on SliceX and it seems loops automatically map to the current tempo so that really weird that it wouldn't follow when changing the tempo. A setting perhaps? Clearly I'm no FL user. In Studio One I can put a Rex loops right in the sequencer and it will follow the tempo.

As far as the choppy playback when slowing the tempo down too much, that's pretty much normal time stretch behavior. You can only slow audio down but so much without introducing artifacts.
Go to know about S1.

EdGrip

27 May 2017

It frustrates me that if I bring in a track and drop it in the sequencer because I want to cut out a bar of drums to make a break, because there's no tempo detection in Reason, I have to manually slice out what I think is a bar (transients can sometimes fool you, depending on playing styles) and then turn snap on to time-stretch that clip out to one bar on the sequencer. Only then can I check the slice markers and ask Reason to make it a REX file. It's a poor workflow (unless I'm missing the "right" way of doing this?)

Goriila Texas

27 May 2017

EdGrip wrote:It frustrates me that if I bring in a track and drop it in the sequencer because I want to cut out a bar of drums to make a break, because there's no tempo detection in Reason, I have to manually slice out what I think is a bar (transients can sometimes fool you, depending on playing styles) and then turn snap on to time-stretch that clip out to one bar on the sequencer. Only then can I check the slice markers and ask Reason to make it a REX file. It's a poor workflow (unless I'm missing the "right" way of doing this?)
Agreed

Goriila Texas

27 May 2017

Recycle needs an update so it can detect and snap loops to bars.

Oquasec

27 May 2017

I'd rather keep using slicex when it comes to that, since nnxt/nn19 and the other modules have snap to transient and most of recycle's features embedded.
Which basically means I can't wait for emi and voice-meter to not be mandatory.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

tumar

27 May 2017

Goriila Texas wrote:
Go to know about S1.

Even more - you can drag rex loop directly onto S1 bundled Impact Drum Sampler and it automatically assign single rex loop bites to sampler cells.

Goriila Texas

27 May 2017

tumar wrote:
Goriila Texas wrote:
Go to know about S1.

Even more - you can drag rex loop directly onto S1 bundled Impact Drum Sampler and it automatically assign single rex loop bites to sampler cells.
Cool gonna check this out thanks.

decibel

27 May 2017

R10 needs a Dr octo rex upgrade with full recycle functionality imo

Goriila Texas

27 May 2017

Actually,after playing with Studio 1 Pro and using the 'stretch audio files to song tempo' enabled I get pretty much the same thing with rex files. I've never used this function till now and I must say it's really solid. Just saved myself some money.
Last edited by Goriila Texas on 27 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Goriila Texas

27 May 2017

decibel wrote:R10 needs a Dr octo rex upgrade with full recycle functionality imo
True.

The Tone Ranger

28 May 2017

IMO Dr OctoRex is perfect for playing back Rex files. Everything that you do in Recycle will be there for you to manipulate in Dr OctoRex.

EdGrip

28 May 2017

The Tone Ranger wrote:IMO Dr OctoRex is perfect for playing back Rex files. Everything that you do in Recycle will be there for you to manipulate in Dr OctoRex.
...on the world's tiniest fiddliest interface.

Goriila Texas

28 May 2017

The Tone Ranger wrote:IMO Dr OctoRex is perfect for playing back Rex files. Everything that you do in Recycle will be there for you to manipulate in Dr OctoRex.
I do like the fact you have 8 midi triggerable slots with Dr octorex though.

Goriila Texas

28 May 2017

EdGrip wrote:
...on the world's tiniest fiddliest interface.

Agreed.

• Information