Vst version Vs Rack extention

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kooshan

24 May 2017

Ok , se we're going to have Vst in reason 9.5 soon . My question is what will be the differences between the vst version and the rack version of the same plugin for instance Spire? Let's imagine Respire is bug free and price is the same as the vst version .I know that we have cv control in rack extentions bur we will have that in vst too (as propellerheads said that)
So the big difference ?

Electric-Metal

24 May 2017

I would always prefer seamless Rack integration over floating Vst windows. My 2 cents.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

joeyluck

24 May 2017

kooshan wrote:Ok , se we're going to have Vst in reason 9.5 soon . My question is what will be the differences between the vst version and the rack version of the same plugin for instance Spire? Let's imagine Respire is bug free and price is the same as the vst version .I know that we have cv control in rack extentions bur we will have that in vst too (as propellerheads said that)
So the big difference ?
Well first off, the CV on the back of the VST device is not the same as CV on the back of REs and Reason devices. With a VST, it is more like automation (like when you assign CV via Combinator). The CV modulates the control rather than the parameter behind the control. That is why with a VST device or Combinator programmer, you see the control move. There is more you can do with CV on the back of REs and Reason devices.

The other differences will be integration with Reason's browser, licensing and the sync-all feature you find with REs, and that it fits within the rack and is not accessed via a floating window.

Also with REs, they are future-proofed; meaning they are guaranteed to work in future versions of Reason without updates from the developers. With VSTs, the developer has to maintain them as things such as operating systems progress. Popular names are all pretty good about staying on top of these things. But even many, like iZotope, NI, and others have discontinued popular plugins.

So, as a Reason user, I would always grab the RE. Others who use other DAWs might like to have the VST to use elsewhere. And some developers like Synapse have offered the formats bundled for The Legend (via contacting them with proof of purchase).

davidvilla

24 May 2017

Based on the jaw dropping performance improvement when using VSTs only (and using no Reason devices or rack extensions whatsoever), I'm all in on exclusively using VSTs in the rack from now on.

Oquasec

24 May 2017

I'm grabbing the Re version of everything since you don't have to worry about folder locations and bit bridging all the time.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EdGrip

24 May 2017

Gosh. Sounds like there must be a very exciting 20-page thread about VST vs RE Reason performance in the secret-squirrel Beta forum.

I look forward to it being a very exciting 20-page thread on the Reason General forum. ;)

kitekrazy

24 May 2017

With VST support I have to scroll a lot more in Reason. That's over 600 plugins. I haven't learned how to use Reason to its fullest. I'll stick with REs and learn how to use the backside, mixer, and combinators.

eiresurfer

25 May 2017

One of the, er, reasons I switched to Reason from Cubase was because I didn't particularly like VSTs. In particular, opening old songs was always a pain if I'd moved to another computer - missing VSTs, licenses, folder locations.

With Reason everything opens without any hassle whatsoever.

gullum

25 May 2017

If there is a RE for the task I get the RE but if it can't be done with RE's and stock I might get a VST. I'm really looking forward to using Positive Grid amps and FX in Reason.

Lov2sing

25 May 2017

gullum wrote:If there is a RE for the task I get the RE but if it can't be done with RE's and stock I might get a VST. I'm really looking forward to using Positive Grid amps and FX in Reason.
Positive Grid VST's are great but you have to be wired to the internet all the time. They need to go to a doggle setup. My hope is Reason will introduce more people to RE's due to VST integration. IMO when inquiry minds check out Reason many great RE's will be discovered and then they will want more.
We make music for a reason

Data_Shrine

25 May 2017

joeyluck wrote:[Well first off, the CV on the back of the VST device is not the same as CV on the back of REs and Reason devices. With a VST, it is more like automation (like when you assign CV via Combinator). The CV modulates the control rather than the parameter behind the control. That is why with a VST device or Combinator programmer, you see the control move. There is more you can do with CV on the back of REs and Reason devices.
If I understood correctly, the difference between CV & automation, in this case, is that the CV-modulated control can also be automated ?

Ostermilk

25 May 2017

Choosing sukz!

Both = Moar!!!

Moar = Lowder!!!

Lowder = Betterer!!!

Oquasec

25 May 2017

Reason already had access to the regular versions of vsts which is why I'm surprised at the exclusive reason-only module variant.
(That only possible in reason thing)
Last edited by Oquasec on 25 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.

satyr32

25 May 2017

davidvilla wrote:Based on the jaw dropping performance improvement when using VSTs only (and using no Reason devices or rack extensions whatsoever), I'm all in on exclusively using VSTs in the rack from now on.
how can you tell since we are still in beta?
usually the native reason devices have the best performamce, at least that is what i thought.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

Oquasec

25 May 2017

He was telling a pretty bad joke basically.
Producer/Programmer.

davidvilla

25 May 2017

You'll see on the 29th.

Oquasec

25 May 2017

Got into the beta on the 19th. It's really not funny, and stale as yuck humor lmao.
At that point these guys aren't even trying to troll anymore, which is just a waste of good triggering.

I can trigger professionals who use massive and serum on a day to day basis without effort :lol:
Producer/Programmer.

• Information