RANT (mostly fixed by PH)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Oquasec

22 May 2017

As a guy who stuck to windows his whole life and linux for a few years, I'm staying out of apple's ecosystem for good.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

esselfortium

22 May 2017

Last Alternative wrote:I will try to do low resolution tonight after work. How do I do that exactly?
If I remember right, it should show up as a checkbox when you do Get Info (cmd-i) on an application icon in the Finder.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Heater

22 May 2017

esselfortium wrote:
Last Alternative wrote:I will try to do low resolution tonight after work. How do I do that exactly?
If I remember right, it should show up as a checkbox when you do Get Info (cmd-i) on an application icon in the Finder.

Last Alternative

22 May 2017

Ok thanks. Still no word from Prop.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Gorgon

22 May 2017

Last Alternative wrote:Ok thanks. Still no word from Prop.
They used to have a forum, in a galaxy far far away.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Jmax

22 May 2017

I'm not a MAC user but it seems to me, that with a system that good i7 32 gig RAM you should be flying! running around 128 etc...

The fact that you have to run at a buffer of 1028 shows that either your audio interface isn't getting along with your computer properly or Reason is blocking something running at full specs.

One test you could do is install another DAW, Studio One, Ableton. See if you can run on a much lower buffer rate. This will in fact tell you if Reason is the main culprit. As others have suggested, the high Retina display could be the culprit.

I just spent $1000 on a new PC build (minus the case). Exact same specs as you. Absolutely flying, right out of the gate.

I go to my friends once in awhile who works on the 27 inch Mac.. I can't stand it. Everything is tiny, Reason is not optimized for it. Also Mac's CRAPPY cheap keyboards. Waste of money in my opinion. If I spend $4k I'll buy a system with 12 cores, 64 gigs RAM and a baby face pro.

I have an iPhone and love it but that's where I draw the line. MAC's are absolutely garbage in my opinion. You pay 4x the money for the same thing. Sure it looks sleek, I never could warm up to the operating system.

EdGrip

22 May 2017

I do think that maybe the time to start buying 5k displays is when the programs we use are designed to work beautifully with 5k displays.
At a comfortable/sensible viewing distance, I can't really see pixels on this 1920x1200, but I totally appreciate that it's one of those things where once you've had it, you can't go back. :)

GRIFTY

22 May 2017

i'd just like to point out that an "i7" is not a very descriptive term for a processor. you could have gotten an old i7. or a dual core i7. neither of which are very good for reason. what kind of processor is in you mac book?

FlowerSoldier

22 May 2017

GRIFTY wrote:i'd just like to point out that an "i7" is not a very descriptive term for a processor. you could have gotten an old i7. or a dual core i7. neither of which are very good for reason. what kind of processor is in you mac book?
I have the same iMac with the i5 @3.2. The processor he is using is:
The iMac "Core i7" 4.0 27-Inch Aluminum (Retina 5K, Late 2015/Skylake) features a 14-nm "Skylake" Quad Core 4.0 GHz Intel "Core i7" processor (6700K) with four independent processor "cores" on a single chip

FlowerSoldier

22 May 2017

I think it is an OS level malfunction. That machine should be eating Reason files for breakfast.

Last Alternative

22 May 2017

Eating Reason for breakfast. No kidding.. yeah it's a SkyLake. Damn mouse died and the charge port is on the bottom for some genius reason LOL so I can't use my computer right now. Watching a show while it charges.
I really hope to get some kind of hopeful news from Propellerhead soon. Just talked to Apple senior tech and she said it's an issue with their software. Worst case scenario, I'll have to wipe my computer and reload OSX and if that doesn't work they'll have to trade me computers but this is for a few other funky intermittent flukes I've had thus far. Honestly I'm absolutely sick of all these computers with all these problems. It's 2017 for God's sake. I can't tell you how much time and money I've spent in the last 5 years trying to have a flawless computer. Maybe it doesn't exist.
By the way, I'm back to working on the album. Just putting up with the bullsh for now.
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

EnochLight

22 May 2017

Last Alternative wrote:Honestly I'm absolutely sick of all these computers with all these problems. It's 2017 for God's sake. I can't tell you how much time and money I've spent in the last 5 years trying to have a flawless computer. Maybe it doesn't exist..
If you're a computer-based musician (and let's face it, pretty much all of us here are exactly that), this is just par for the course. There's always hardware workstations if you don't want to have to deal with this stuff, though. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

aeox
Competition Winner

22 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
Last Alternative wrote:Honestly I'm absolutely sick of all these computers with all these problems. It's 2017 for God's sake. I can't tell you how much time and money I've spent in the last 5 years trying to have a flawless computer. Maybe it doesn't exist..
If you're a computer-based musician (and let's face it, pretty much all of us here are exactly that), this is just par for the course. There's always hardware workstations if you don't want to have to deal with this stuff, though. ;)
truth.

a completely overkill beast workstation PC could be built with $4,000 (way way less actually) which would be future proof for a good 4-5 years. it wouldn't be in the slim and sexy all-in-one form of a Imac though. which is Apples selling point, i guess.

with a little searching on ebay for used enterprise server CPUS and a dual socket motherboard(heck, I'm using CPUS and MOBO from 2011 which cost 100 dollars last year, that is on par, if not better than a 6700K), you'd have yourself a really nice workstation PC.

Jmax

23 May 2017

Last Alternative wrote:Eating Reason for breakfast. No kidding.. yeah it's a SkyLake. Damn mouse died and the charge port is on the bottom for some genius reason LOL so I can't use my computer right now. Watching a show while it charges.
I really hope to get some kind of hopeful news from Propellerhead soon. Just talked to Apple senior tech and she said it's an issue with their software. Worst case scenario, I'll have to wipe my computer and reload OSX and if that doesn't work they'll have to trade me computers but this is for a few other funky intermittent flukes I've had thus far. Honestly I'm absolutely sick of all these computers with all these problems. It's 2017 for God's sake. I can't tell you how much time and money I've spent in the last 5 years trying to have a flawless computer. Maybe it doesn't exist.
By the way, I'm back to working on the album. Just putting up with the bullsh for now.
If it makes you feel better, I spent a few weeks optimizing my new build even with PC. Win 10 comes loaded with all sorts of auto updates and other crap. I was a big fan of 7 but not so much 10, I got rid of most of it thanks to Youtube but stuff like OneDrive which just still loves to pop up randomly (so stupid). These fuckers want to make sure you never stop using their products. PreSonus also has a problem, where the driver screen pops up everytime you restart your computer, known to Win10.
That's to be expected with Win I guess. Although we a Mac, paying a lot I would expect things to work perfectly right out of the gate. But we all know, it ain't that simple. Sit tight, you'll be up and running smooth very soon.

Gulale

23 May 2017

To be honest, That is PH problem. Even Harrison had GUI sluggish problem on mac until their recent release which solved 99 percent of the problem. And what they said it that they have changed major change how the software was interacting. I think PH has to do the same thing to solve this problem on mac. Me myself I found Reason to be CPU hungry DAW of all time on my mac. There is always option out there I guess. But we all love Reason, that is the problem.
Gulale aka Bereket

sublunar

23 May 2017

aeox wrote: a completely overkill beast workstation PC could be built with $4,000 (way way less actually) which would be future proof for a good 4-5 years.
Like 10x less, actually. I built a PC in 2006 for $400 bucks. I recorded audio at 24bit/96k resolution with no observable latency on an almost daily basis. Edited and rendered HD video, did graphic design and photo editing on it. I threw everything I had at it and it never failed me. It lasted TEN YEARS running Windows XP before I finally retired it. The only reason I retired it was new stuff coming out that didn't work on XP. That computer is still running strong and is now my backup machine.

Just a couple months ago, I built another one for $400. 4.0GHZ x8 core AMD with 16GB RAM and SSD OS drive with 3x 2TB data drives. If this one doesn't also last me 10 years then I did something wrong. (To save money, drives were pulled from old machine and re-used. They still had my data on them after all. 2TB was largest drive XP could recognize natively.)

I also recently bought an 8 core i7 laptop for $50 used and can run Reason and Arturia side by side with no noticeable latency issues using onboard audio (and asio4all). Running SSD for OS and I replaced the optical drive with a second hard drive in there for data. Good luck doing that with a Mac. I once owned a mac server and a macbook. Notice that is past tense.

-

Regardless of the PC vs Mac argument, this doesn't sound like a Propellerhead issue. If you have to set your buffer to 1024 or higher, it's an audio interface issue. Either the interface or your computer has something set weird pertaining to audio functions. The more complicated your setup the less likely Propellerhead or anyone will be able to help you.

aeox
Competition Winner

23 May 2017

sublunar wrote:
aeox wrote: a completely overkill beast workstation PC could be built with $4,000 (way way less actually) which would be future proof for a good 4-5 years.
Like 10x less, actually. I built a PC in 2006 for $400 bucks. I recorded audio at 24bit/96k resolution with no observable latency on an almost daily basis. Edited and rendered HD video, did graphic design and photo editing on it. I threw everything I had at it and it never failed me. It lasted TEN YEARS running Windows XP before I finally retired it. The only reason I retired it was new stuff coming out that didn't work on XP. That computer is still running strong and is now my backup machine.

Just a couple months ago, I built another one for $400. 4.0GHZ x8 core AMD with 16GB RAM and SSD OS drive with 3x 2TB data drives. If this one doesn't also last me 10 years then I did something wrong. (To save money, drives were pulled from old machine and re-used. They still had my data on them after all. 2TB was largest drive XP could recognize natively.)

I also recently bought an 8 core i7 laptop for $50 used and can run Reason and Arturia side by side with no noticeable latency issues using onboard audio (and asio4all). Running SSD for OS and I replaced the optical drive with a second hard drive in there for data. Good luck doing that with a Mac. I once owned a mac server and a macbook. Notice that is past tense.

-

Regardless of the PC vs Mac argument, this doesn't sound like a Propellerhead issue. If you have to set your buffer to 1024 or higher, it's an audio interface issue. Either the interface or your computer has something set weird pertaining to audio functions. The more complicated your setup the less likely Propellerhead or anyone will be able to help you.
now imagine what can be done with $4,000 :] we're talking quad socket motherboards with 72 cores and beyond.

the stuff of titans

although, he could go ahead and throw MacOS on it and dual boot to windows 10 if needed.

sublunar

23 May 2017

aeox wrote: now imagine what can be done with $4,000 :] we're talking quad socket motherboards with 72 cores and beyond.
It would be ridiculous...ly awesome.

Last Alternative

23 May 2017

UPDATE: I did a little testing.
*Heard back from PH today. They gave me basic troubleshooting and said they're aware and trying to fix it.
*It's definitely not my interface; It's not even connected - issue remains.
*Tried low resolution and only notice a slight difference with minor fuzz - issue remains.

Thanx a million to all who tried to help and brainstorm. Really means a lot that you guys to reached out.

Maybe next time I'll do a build like that picture. Coulda woulda.. Other than this ordeal, I really love my iMac and would recommend one for certain reasons. They're nowhere near affordable but the screen is impressive, it's lightning fast and its Unix system really can't be beat (lovin it way better than Windows), except for Linux. And if Reason worked on Linux I'd do a build for sure. Any word if PH will ever go there?

FlowerSoldier

23 May 2017

Godamn it Last. I swear if they implemented a Linux build of Reason I would ditch Apple & MS forever. That's the only reason [sic] I got an iMac...You can't run Reason on Linux.
Hope the Props can help you. Stay Strong Broh.

Last Alternative

24 May 2017

So I'm messing around while checking the Activity Monitor and noticed it says my CPU is running anywhere from 48 - 155+% , depending on whether or not I have the spectrum EQ open or not. How can it be over 100%? Memory use is around 8 out of 32 gigs.
I'm running in low resolution, 44.1 @ 512 buffer in this picture. Trying 256 right now and getting 2 DSP bars max and no audio blips so far.
It seems to be working a lot better in low resolution mode which doesn't look too bad and I can deal with for now. So it's a PH coding thing with normal/high resolution on Sierra from what I can tell.
Attachments
Activity Monitor.JPG
Activity Monitor.JPG (256.65 KiB) Viewed 1798 times

Last Alternative

24 May 2017

In this picture it's over 183% and it says there's over 3 million faults. I'm not sure what all this means but do you think I'm onto something?
Attachments
stats.JPG
stats.JPG (270.98 KiB) Viewed 1794 times

4filegate

24 May 2017

Some people say they've in the purchasing decision Pro Apps Bundle for Education It's just a dongle!

aeox
Competition Winner

24 May 2017

Last Alternative wrote:So I'm messing around while checking the Activity Monitor and noticed it says my CPU is running anywhere from 48 - 155+% , depending on whether or not I have the spectrum EQ open or not. How can it be over 100%? Memory use is around 8 out of 32 gigs.
I'm running in low resolution, 44.1 @ 512 buffer in this picture. Trying 256 right now and getting 2 DSP bars max and no audio blips so far.
It seems to be working a lot better in low resolution mode which doesn't look too bad and I can deal with for now. So it's a PH coding thing with normal/high resolution on Sierra from what I can tell.
from what i've read, each CPU core can account for up to 100% usage.

Last Alternative

24 May 2017

That makes sense. Would be nice if Apple gave more details such as % of each core in use. By the way, my spectrum EQ is lagging by almost a whole second. That's apparently the only negative right now so it's a lot better already. I'll do some more testing tomorrow.
I hope this thread helps everyone else in the same boat as me.

• Information