RANT (mostly fixed by PH)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Last Alternative

21 May 2017

Just contacted Apple. They came out with a Sierra update the other day - 10.12.5 - so I updated and no difference. Very looking forward to hearing back from Propellerhead.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Heater

21 May 2017

Last Alternative wrote:Very looking forward to hearing back from Propellerhead.
Good luck with that.

etyrnal

21 May 2017

Last Alternative wrote:I got the 27" 5k, i7, 1TB SSD, 32 gigs of RAM.. all the top specs.
No one can help me here. Already tried.
Nobody can help you, but you will force everyone to listen to your rant knowing that nobody can help you. So basically what are you trying to do then? Just get everyone riled up?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

jfrichards

21 May 2017

Jace, you cannot allow technical difficulties to block your album. If there is a blockage, say for instance the spectrum analyzer being too slow, or a great reverb hogging the CPU, you have to dump these devices and use something else, even if it is just using your ears for EQ, or a different reverb. I know you did this for guitar and went with a great real amp and a mic instead of software amps. You have to limit the amount of time spent on technical problems. You need most of that time for lyrics, melody lines, chording, hooks, etc. In general, if you are very satisfied with some piece of a song, you spent too much time on it. Get the album out. Then do another that's better. You're too good to die with "Coming Soon" on your tombstone.

A little tough love for a respected friend.

Data_Shrine

21 May 2017

Reason doesn't use the correct graphic card, with the discrete card (if there is one in your mac), it works ok if you turn off Automatic Graphic switching in the preferences. Still, performance is not up to what I would have expected from Reason.

I agree that PH needs to fix this. People who don't have 2 graphics cards in their Mac are in for an almost unusable program. And Reason needs better multi-core support.

Raveshaper

21 May 2017

Switch to Cubase or Studio One. You'll never look back or be this angry again.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Gorgon

21 May 2017

"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

aeox
Competition Winner

21 May 2017

i dislike apple as much as the next guy, but there is no need to dog the computer when he obviously just went out and spent quite some money on it. ontop of that, is having trouble getting Reason to work properly! that's the last thing someone needs.

if there is onboard graphics(integrated?) + a graphics card, have you tried disabling the onboard graphics in the BIOS? the BIOS is accessible on IMACS? (someone mentioned Reason using the wrong GPU by default)

Last Alternative

21 May 2017

etyrnal wrote:Nobody can help you, but you will force everyone to listen to your rant knowing that nobody can help you. So basically what are you trying to do then? Just get everyone riled up?
Well, it was just a rant but people wanted to help and asked questions so I answered.

Mac doesn't have BIOS. My graphics card is the optional AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory.
Last edited by Last Alternative on 24 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

moneykube

21 May 2017

oh oh... The unnamed fruit of Eden thus became an apple under the influence of the story of the golden apples in the Garden of Hesperides. As a result, the apple became a symbol for knowledge, immortality, temptation, the fall of man and sin.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

moneykube

21 May 2017

but I eat my apple every day... well use it... for um knowledge
Last edited by moneykube on 23 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

moneykube

21 May 2017

increasing losing faith in apple.... years ago rock solid... could manipulate system... now becoming a windows clone
the bugs are coming
Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 7.05.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 7.05.35 PM.png (448.4 KiB) Viewed 2367 times

EnochLight

21 May 2017

Raveshaper wrote:Switch to Cubase or Studio One. You'll never look back or be this angry again.
He will once he realizes that neither Cubase or Studio One are as fun to work in as Reason (and I say this as a Studio One owner). :D :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Raveshaper

22 May 2017

That is a possible response that you can type, yes.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

EdGrip

22 May 2017

If you never looked back, why are you on a Reason forum?

Gorgon

22 May 2017

Last Alternative wrote: Mac doesn't have BIOS. My graphics card is the optional AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory.
Every computer has a BIOS. Mac included.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

BonsaiMacKay

22 May 2017

Gorgon wrote:
Last Alternative wrote: Mac doesn't have BIOS. My graphics card is the optional AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory.
Not really. On a Mac, there is something analogous called Open Firmware, though.

@LA
Switch off your Mac.
Switch it back on holding cmd+option+O+F simultaneously. (O for Open, F for Firmware, easy as pie, :puf_smile: )

Do it at your own risk, a mistake may permanently fuck up your Mac.

EnochLight

22 May 2017

BonsaiMacKay wrote:
Gorgon wrote:
Not really. On a Mac, there is something analogous called Open Firmware, though.

@LA
Switch off your Mac.
Switch it back on holding cmd+option+O+F simultaneously. (O for Open, F for Firmware, easy as pie, :puf_smile: )

Open Firmware on Mac is the BIOS.

And yeah, pretty much every personal computer under the sun has some sort of Basic Input/Output System. It's sort of required to allow the OS to talk to all of the components that... well.. make up a computer.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

BonsaiMacKay

22 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
BonsaiMacKay wrote:
Gorgon wrote:

@LA
Switch off your Mac.

Open Firmware on Mac is the BIOS.

And yeah, pretty much every personal computer under the sun has some sort of Basic Input/Output System. It's sort of required to allow the OS to talk to all of the components that... well.. make up a computer.
Or do you mean that actually the BIOS on Windows is Open Firmware?

As said above, it is analogous, that is, has a similar function and is used pretty much the same way. However, if you look up BIOS on your Mac you won't find it. LA is new to Macs, so he'd better learn the proper terms, no?

EnochLight

22 May 2017

BonsaiMacKay wrote:As said above, it is analogous, that is, has a similar function and is used pretty much the same way. However, if you look up BIOS on your Mac you won't find it. LA is new to Macs, so he'd better learn the proper terms, no?
Terms - fair enough.

BonsaiMacKay

22 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
BonsaiMacKay wrote:As said above, it is analogous, that is, has a similar function and is used pretty much the same way. However, if you look up BIOS on your Mac you won't find it. LA is new to Macs, so he'd better learn the proper terms, no?
Terms - fair enough.
No worries, especially because I was WRONG! I just tried it and it didn't work. There is no more Open Firmware (last time I ever needed to pull it I had a PPC Mac).

@LA
On Intel Macs cmd-option-O-F will not work. Intel Macs do not use OF but EFI instead and it is not easily accessible. Read below:
http://refit.sourceforge.net/

esselfortium

22 May 2017

Based on some other threads I've seen regarding Reason performance on newer Macs, I think it might have something to do with retina display usage -- I'd definitely try Biolumin3sc3nt's advice of putting it in low resolution mode, particularly considering that Reason 9's graphics haven't been redesigned to take advantage of 4k resolution's higher pixel density yet anyway.

I'm running Reason on a several-year-old hackintosh with a standard 1080p display (i.e. not 4k) and haven't run into any notable performance limitations, even after upgrading to macOS 10.12 last week or when running the logging 9.5 betas.
Last edited by esselfortium on 22 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Oquasec

22 May 2017

I wonder if propellerhead should go the dpi scaling route.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

FATCheese

22 May 2017

I really feel for you LA.

I was contemplating on buying a iMac. Also to make music on besides the other "household" stuff.
But reading this makes me hesitate.

I still believe in the power of Apple. I own an iPhone and an iPad and they are great!

BUt yeah... Reason makes it a more difficult decision...
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/realfatcheese

And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !

Hell yeah E., you're a "cheesius".

Last Alternative

22 May 2017

I will try to do low resolution tonight after work. How do I do that exactly?

• Information