RANT (mostly fixed by PH)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Last Alternative

20 May 2017

Propellerhead has the worst customer service/tech support. They seem to have so much time liking and replying to comments on here and Facebook but when it comes to tech support - actually fixing sh*t - they are quiet and it takes weeks?! Not to mention, they can see how long you've been a customer and have the nerve to (after you waited so long to hear back) blame and insult you with the most basic troubleshooting imaginable! Stuff like: check your internet connection... check your audio settings... check your computer specs... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
And they'll even say these things after you just told them you've already done that! It's like a template response.

Reason is having major problems on my brand new iMac. I checked all the preferences, settings, etc. on my end. I contact Support a week ago. I hear back Tuesday. I immediately sent them a System Report as requested. Have not heard back since!

And sadly this is typically how it goes. You could be locked out of Reason and good luck if it takes them a week to help. It's usually longer.

Sure, they're on the other side of the world from me and there is no phone number I can call in the USA and they're a "small" company and whatever else... So I asked them to expand their support team.

I mean, is that too much to ask? Maybe if they spent a little more time helping instead of chatting, they could REALLY improve our workflow because right now mine is at a standstill waiting on them. :thumbs_down: Yeah I'm pissed.
~end rant~
Last edited by Last Alternative on 23 Jul 2017, edited 2 times in total.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Biolumin3sc3nt

20 May 2017

well, i'll do my best to help a fellow Reason user out! What is it You're having problems with?

clone

20 May 2017

What kind of Imac did you get?

Looking to buy one later, maybe Xmas! I'm going to need a i7.

Last Alternative

20 May 2017

I got the 27" 5k, i7, 1TB SSD, 32 gigs of RAM.. all the top specs.
No one can help me here. Already tried.
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Biolumin3sc3nt

20 May 2017

Last Alternative wrote:I got the 27" 5k, i7, 1TB SSD, 32 gigs of RAM.. all the top specs.
No one can help me here. Already tried.

I have the exact same specs and model LA - did you put Reason in low resolution mode?

Last Alternative

20 May 2017

No because I shouldn't have to degrade Reason to make it work. Appreciate the advice though.

Biolumin3sc3nt

20 May 2017

Last Alternative wrote:No because I shouldn't have to degrade Reason to make it work. Appreciate the advice though.

I hear that LA, I felt the same way and it pissed me off. Theo made an elaborate thread on this in the PUF forum - ( I miss his company actually)

The Mac's are not utilizing all the cores, and this is on props shoulders. The performance is significantly different compared to windows!

I only said, put it in low resolution mode to help alleviate some of the CPU cycles, and yes I concur - it shouldn't have to be this way, but it is for the time being

aeox
Competition Winner

20 May 2017

what kind of major problems are you having?

-008'

20 May 2017

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
Last Alternative wrote:No because I shouldn't have to degrade Reason to make it work. Appreciate the advice though.

I hear that LA, I felt the same way and it pissed me off. Theo made an elaborate thread on this in the PUF forum - ( I miss his company actually)

The Mac's are not utilizing all the cores, and this is on props shoulders. The performance is significantly different compared to windows!

I only said, put it in low resolution mode to help alleviate some of the CPU cycles, and yes I concur - it shouldn't have to be this way, but it is for the time being

I'm just curious... If reason is a cross-platform application .. isn't it somewhat on apple's shoulders too?

The props are huge apple fans and they practically all use Macs... I can't see them writing inferior mac version (and there are no "versions" !)

I bet this has more to do with apple (he did say it was a new rig) and the props can now only go rush to fix something after Apple fucks something new up. But they need to recreate and verify his "bug" first.

For example, it seems like I am always hearing Reason-related horror stories when there is a new Mac OS.

Either way I hope the problem gets sorted for you quick LA. Support should never suck for a customer. I feel like they might have to used canned comments just due to language barrier and stuff, idk.

Meanwhile, me on my lowly, self-built windows PC... I have never had to contact props support because Reason has always just worked. :mrgreen:
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

Last Alternative

21 May 2017

I built a Windows computer that's still relevant and never had this particular problem on it. Bought the iMac specifically to avoid problems I was having. Got a new interface and everything and my blood is boiling after spending over $4k going from one serious problem to another.

-008'

21 May 2017

Last Alternative wrote:I built a Windows computer that's still relevant and never had this particular problem on it. Bought the iMac specifically to avoid problems I was having. Got a new interface and everything and my blood is boiling after spending over $4k going from one serious problem to another.
I'm sorry man that really sucks. I have felt that same pain before many moons and a few DAWs ago.

What are the exact (or general even) problems you are having anyway? I didn't see you mention anything specific here. Naturally I am even more curious now ...but I do understand that you've already explained elsewhere with no luck. So I get it if you're over trying to explain it.

I feel bad for you man, the problems you can't really pinpoint or work out are the absolute worst of all. Best of luck to you I hope it all works out very soon.
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

Raveshaper

21 May 2017

LA, if you are talking about the problem where scrolling around in the rack has morbidly brutal lag, then this also was happening on my mid 2012 MacBook Pro Retina (first gen model). This was even an issue on Reason 7.1.1 running on OSX Mountain Lion, so it isn't a matter of latest machine or latest OS version on Mac. This has been a problem ever since Retina came out, at the very least.

If you're talking about any other problem aside from that graphics/draw-in awfulness, well then I'm sorry to hear that and I am simultaneously not surprised. I am investing in other software now, even though it has the potential risk of crashing. I mean, my choices are my own, but at least I'm going where changes are regular and generally positive, all things considered. Part of why I am doing that is precisely due to what you mention in your rant, although my particular motivations are a bit more specific.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Last Alternative

21 May 2017

Like I've said in my other posts, I'm running 44.1 @ 1024 buffer and STILL getting slow graphics on the spectrum EQ as well as occasional high DSP. That's like 30ms of delay! This is killing my work. Anything lower than 1024 and forget it: constant high DSP and audio issues.
Happens with or without my interface connected. PH asked for a System Report, which I sent on Tuesday so "R & D" (Research & Development, I'm guessing) can investigate but come on.. leaving me hanging all week into next week now? This waiting game is unacceptable.
And I don't see how the Retina screen is to blame when it's made for ultra high graphics. I also have the top choice GPU. I just don't understand how a brand new killer machine is having problems struggling to do basic stuff on Reason. There's no way my computer is to blame. I have zero problems playing games, watching 4K videos, or doing anything else.

What pisses me off the most is there are many peeps having many different problems (apparently for a very long time now) with Reason on Apple computers and PH hasn't said a word about it. Don't you want your customers to rest assured you are working on the issues? Why the fuck would you leave them guessing and begging for help and waiting forever? I'm about to switch DAWs if they don't get it together with all this bad noise. And instead of fixing bugs, they'd rather make A-list bullsh*t and hang out on Facebook.
Last edited by Last Alternative on 21 May 2017, edited 2 times in total.

WillyOD

21 May 2017

Mac's are overpriced and underpowered, this has been a well-known for years. I'm sorry, but the ball is mostly in Apple's court.

Props are people too. It takes time to analyze system reports. Maybe they haven't found anything, maybe they're trying. Maybe not. Who knows. You should probably go to their Facebook and/or Twitter, since they're much more active there.
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

WillyOD

21 May 2017

Instead of the waiting game would you like a daily no-progress report from Propellerheads? Ranting is okay, but if you've invested thousands of dollars into hardware and software, be patient. And while you're waiting, install Bootcamp and Windows version of Reason?

Heater

21 May 2017

WillyOD wrote:Mac's are overpriced and underpowered, this has been a well-known for years. I'm sorry, but the ball is mostly in Apple's court.
Folks aren't reporting the same issues on similar powered PCs so take your Mac hate elsewhere...

OP. I'm on a 2015 MacBook Pro and I have to reduce the graphics resolution otherwise I get horrible pops and crackles. It sucks.

EnochLight

21 May 2017

WillyOD wrote:Mac's are overpriced and underpowered, this has been a well-known for years. I'm sorry, but the ball is mostly in Apple's court.
No, the ball is clearly in Propellerhead's court, actually. Reason is sold as being compatible with both Windows and Mac, and there should be no discernible difference in performance between the two OS's on the same hardware. LA's Mac is brand freak'n new, and is by no means underpowered.

My 5 year old PC is running Reason fine (at anywhere between 64-256 samples), so a brand new Mac should perform at least as well.

@LA - what version of Reason are you using?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Last Alternative

21 May 2017

WillyOD

21 May 2017

This is not Mac hate. I have no hate for Macs or Apple. I'm just stating WELL KNOWN facts. You are paying 2-3x price of the similar PC hardware when you purchase an Apple computer (I've owned iMac once - and on a positive side, you can sell your Mac hardware and make most of your money back).

Compatible means that the software can be run. Is there any mention of performance on Props side?

Part of the problem is that my 2,5 years old PC is more powerful than the latest Mac that just came out last week (or whenever).

WillyOD

21 May 2017

I'm sorry for your problems, LA, hope you get them solved. I'm not trying to spruce up anything.

I was serious about your trying Bootcamp and Windows on the same hardware. It would be a handy way to test if this is OS or hardware related problem.

(Edit: You mentioned 9.2. There's also 9.2.2 available)

EnochLight

21 May 2017

WillyOD wrote:This is not Mac hate. I have no hate for Macs or Apple. I'm just stating WELL KNOWN facts. You are paying 2-3x price of the similar PC hardware when you purchase an Apple computer (I've owned iMac once - and on a positive side, you can sell your Mac hardware and make most of your money back).

Compatible means that the software can be run. Is there any mention of performance on Props side?

Part of the problem is that my 2,5 years old PC is more powerful than the latest Mac that just came out last week (or whenever).
I'm not challenging the fact that Apple hardware is overpriced. But the hardware itself - in general - is absolutely fine. Anyone on OSX should be getting performance on-par with the same hardware counterparts on Windows. That's not LA's problem though - something is clearly wrong with how Reason is performing on certain builds of OSX. Raapie also has had issues with OSX and Reason, and I'm guessing there's others.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Last Alternative

21 May 2017

The latest: 9.2.2 or whatever the newest one is. I stay current.
There's many others. You can search Apple or Mac on here and find countless threads and posts about Reason issues. Imagine how many more are not members here. the Props are aware yet say nothing.
I realize Apple's prices are pure extortion and for what you pay, you can build your own computer 10x more powerful, however, Macs are(usually) more reliable, intuitive, last longer and hold their value... but my computer is in no way underpowered. My cheap Windows laptop handled Reason better than this years ago! This is clearly a Propellerhead issue and it would be nice if they took responsibility for once in a public announcement as to their plans and efforts in resolving the matter.

FlowerSoldier

21 May 2017

Last Alternative wrote:The latest: 9.2.2 or whatever the newest one is. I stay current.
There's many others. You can search Apple or Mac on here and find countless threads and posts about Reason issues. Imagine how many more are not members here. the Props are aware yet say nothing.
I realize Apple's prices are pure extortion and for what you pay, you can build your own computer 10x more powerful, however, Macs are(usually) more reliable, intuitive, last longer and hold their value... but my computer is in no way underpowered. My cheap Windows laptop handled Reason better than this years ago! This is clearly a Propellerhead issue and it would be nice if they took responsibility for once in a public announcement as to their plans and efforts in resolving the matter.
What up Last. Sorry to hear you are having issues still. Gimme a call if you want to review settings. I'm running Reason on Built-In Audio @ 96k and 512 samples with no problems. Running the Apollo @ 96k and 512 sample buffer with no problems. We might need to dig into the UAD console for this one. My Apollo was just misbehaving, I think that might be the problem. If the UAD Console settings don't match up to Reason settings (especially Clock source) it might give you problems.

Exowildebeest

21 May 2017

https://japan.steinberg.net/forums/view ... 0&t=108500

Might be a deep OSX issue that affects more than just Reason...

Heater

21 May 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:https://japan.steinberg.net/forums/view ... 0&t=108500

Might be a deep OSX issue that affects more than just Reason...

Not an OSX issue. DAWs like Studio One have not issues on Mac. Seems like it's dependent how the devs choose to render graphics.

• Information