Desktop vs laptop

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Desktop or Laptop

Poll ended at 26 May 2017

Desktop.
41%
Both
26%
Laptop.
33%

Total votes: 54
EnochLight

21 May 2017

Built my own desktops for 20 years. The portability of a laptop sounds attractive, but I prefer to work with multiple displays, and carrying around a spare 27" flat screen kind of defeats the purpose of being "portable". ;) :lol: The power you get out of a desktop is generally much better as well, and I like being able to switch out components and upgrade on a whim. Dollar for dollar, I always get more mileage out of a desktop than I ever have out of a laptop.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

FlowerSoldier

21 May 2017

I used to work on a laptop. Then I realized I treated it like a desktop because I never took it out because I was afraid I would damage it or it would get stolen...I eventually left it in a taxi one night and that was that. I'm happy having a desktop battlestation. I thought I needed portability, but I'd go for a desktop. You can't carry your monitors around with you after all.

sublunar

22 May 2017

I do my serious work on a custom built desktop at home when I'm in "tweak" mode. When I need to hear the audio accurately reproduced; When I'm using compressors or doing other fine tuning. Or when I need to actually record live instruments and such.

But when I'm just in writing mode, like when I have a bunch of "work" to do like write a new drum track in the sequencer, rearrange some NNXT kits or just play around with some songs on my lunch break, then that's what I have the (encrypted) laptop for. I also have a portable USB midi controller keyboard and I can jam out in a coffee shop almost to the same extent I can at home. And the latency is low enough that it's actually usable. I've made a TON of progress since I started doubling my workload by taking my laptop with me to work. I don't get to work on music at home as often as I'd like so I started trying to maximize my Reason time while away from home. And I'm glad I did. I would never go back to using only a desktop. Still, the desktop will never be replaced.

It's the best of both worlds. The only problem is when it comes time to re-sync my projects files. When I've made updates on the laptop that need to be copied back to my desktop where my main storage/backup is located. That part gets tricky. I include the date sequence in all my filenames so that helps. And I'm pretty good about immediately copying changed projects to my USB drive so that I don't have to go digging for them when I'm back home. I realize I could use a cloud based solution but I don't use "the cloud". And my production desktop machine never touches the internet, so this is how I'd prefer to work anyway.

xbitz

22 May 2017

btw, as I read the posts, some remote rendering function would be nice in Reason too, if u know ReaMote in Reaper

this would be the the best of both worlds
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

Zerosity

22 May 2017

Best resource for building your own system.

https://pcpartpicker.com/

Not comfortable figuring out compatibility between components? Then pick someone else saved build and go from there.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

sdst
Competition Winner

26 May 2017

After 5 minutes with a laptop I want to explode

I have laptop-phobia

aeox
Competition Winner

26 May 2017

i actually use to produce on a Surface Pro 1st gen.. wasn't that bad actually. someone stole it though.

would be nice to get one again just to mess around on so i don't feel the need to be constantly sitting at my desktop all day.

Oquasec

26 May 2017

I'd use a razor tablet or a surface, but as far as a main system I'm not even going to bother with laptops personally.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Gehenna

28 May 2017

The laptops are easy as they are much more portable (my desktop has a lifting handle but it's heavy) due to size and weight and you can of course set it up, with a docking station if you prefer, so you have all the amenities of a proper keyboard, mouse, monitor and speakers at home.

But where laptops fall short is heat management when you use a lot of power and upgradeability (is that even a word? lol). Good laptops are not cheap and basically what you buy is what it will be. If then you want to upgrade at some point it will usually mean having to buy a new expensive laptop.

That may not be an issue for you though. That's the decision you'd have to make. Do you use a lot of power and need better heat management and upgradeability or not. That's where the main question lies. If those are not relevant for you a laptop with the aforementioned amenities could be a very good set up for you.

Being also a gamer it has to be a desktop for me, but if you're not then a laptop may be a more compact, mobile option. Just make sure it has enough CPU power and RAM though.

jam-s

28 May 2017

I'm using the laptop for live gigs and to get some songs done on vacation, while the desktop is used for doing actual work and mastering (unless I do a "last minute party prod", then the laptop will have to suffice, of course).

Taff

29 May 2017

The more I read, the more I'm convinced to stay with my desktop. Thanks for the advice people!

Stodge

29 May 2017

:( Missed this poll! however I have used both, and for me now I personally wouldn't use a laptop as I much prefer a desktop and what you can do internally! plus having the whole studio-like setup with a laptop doesn't really do it for me when you can have a really sexy looking desktop! :lol:
Windows 10 HP i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz, Reason 9.5 :reason:, AKAI MPK 49, Audio Intimidation s2000 floorstanding speakers, W-Audio DA300 Amplifier
https://www.facebook.com/DJStodge/
https://soundcloud.com/dj-stodge

slightlyprog

17 Sep 2017

Is there any kind of real comparison of laptop to desktop performance using a DAW? I have yet to see such a thing in searches (maybe I should search for game performance as I'm sure that has been compared to the max but I'm not sure how completely relevant it is)

I know desktops have many advantages but what I'd like to know is what I'd need in terms of laptop specs to match my current desktop for when I want to travel.

My desktop is fairly modest by todays standards: i5 Ivybridge 3570 3.4Ghz, 16GB Ram, 250GB SSD for OS and 1TB drive for files. Win7 pro.

If I can get a laptop that can do as well without spending crazy money I'll be happy.

aeox
Competition Winner

17 Sep 2017

slightlyprog wrote:
17 Sep 2017
Is there any kind of real comparison of laptop to desktop performance using a DAW? I have yet to see such a thing in searches (maybe I should search for game performance as I'm sure that has been compared to the max but I'm not sure how completely relevant it is)

I know desktops have many advantages but what I'd like to know is what I'd need in terms of laptop specs to match my current desktop for when I want to travel.

My desktop is fairly modest by todays standards: i5 Ivybridge 3570 3.4Ghz, 16GB Ram, 250GB SSD for OS and 1TB drive for files. Win7 pro.

If I can get a laptop that can do as well without spending crazy money I'll be happy.
This has a slightly slower CPU than the one you listed. It's got 16GB ram, 250GB SSD, 2GB Storage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-15t-Touch-Sc ... SweIlZY7JA

Use these benchmarks to find CPUs
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/laptop.html
Search ebay like " i5 7300HQ 16gb" for example and shop around.

EnochLight

17 Sep 2017

slightlyprog wrote:
17 Sep 2017

If you've got a dated desktop build (or entry level performance CPU/build), of course you can buy a laptop these days that may outperform it. But clock for clock/dollar/Euro, desktop platforms will always be an order of magnitude faster than their laptop counterparts. They don't have to worry about being mobile or managing power consumption.

My biggest issue with laptops are the tiny screens (I mean seriously? 13" to 17" is the average size - LMAO!!!!) and limited CPU speed. That said, my biggest issue with desktops is they aren't mobile. :mrgreen: :lol: :puf_bigsmile:

If you ever find a laptop/mobile platform you like, though, you can always buy an external monitor that's a proper size, so when you're home you can really get some work done. You can find 27" to 42" solutions rather cheap these days, many being 4K.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Oquasec

17 Sep 2017

Is this statement correct guys?
400$ Desktop = 1000$ Laptop?
Producer/Programmer.

EnochLight

17 Sep 2017

Oquasec wrote:
17 Sep 2017
Is this statement correct guys?
400$ Desktop = 1000$ Laptop?
Where in the world did you get that?

Oquasec

17 Sep 2017

I'm talking about performance in applications.
Would a 1000$ Laptop be faster than a 400$ Desktop or is it not Thaaaaat lopsided?
Producer/Programmer.

EnochLight

17 Sep 2017

Oquasec wrote:
17 Sep 2017
I'm talking about performance in applications.
Would a 1000$ Laptop be faster than a 400$ Desktop or is it not Thaaaaat lopsided?
Pulling arbitrary numbers out of thin air is not really going to accomplish anything. If you're asking whether or not you could build or buy a $400 desktop that performs as fast as a $1000 laptop, the answer is: let us know. :lol:

slightlyprog

18 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
17 Sep 2017

My biggest issue with laptops are the tiny screens (I mean seriously? 13" to 17" is the average size - LMAO!!!!) and limited CPU speed. That said, my biggest issue with desktops is they aren't mobile. :mrgreen: :lol: :puf_bigsmile:

If you ever find a laptop/mobile platform you like, though, you can always buy an external monitor that's a proper size, so when you're home you can really get some work done. You can find 27" to 42" solutions rather cheap these days, many being 4K.

Yeah the screen size worries me. In about 2008 I had a Rock 'Xtreme' gaming laptop with a 17" screen that was 1920 X 1200 pixels and it was very sharp. These days it's very difficult to find anything other than 1920 X 1080.

My current desktop machine and 24" monitor does the job just fine but I need to get the heck out of here! I need to get somewhere with more sunshine and fresh air :puf_bigsmile: And I want to bring my music stuff with me.

EnochLight

18 Sep 2017

slightlyprog wrote:
18 Sep 2017
My current desktop machine and 24" monitor does the job just fine but I need to get the heck out of here! I need to get somewhere with more sunshine and fresh air :puf_bigsmile: And I want to bring my music stuff with me.
Sounds like you've already made up your mind that a laptop would work best for you. I'd just try to buy the fastest CPU you can afford, and have at it. Let us know how it goes!

Cheers

syncanonymous

18 Sep 2017

1366x768 was pretty much the laptop standard 5yrs ago, you had to look hard to get more screen real estate and pay considerably more. I have been all laptop since 2004 and I am overdue to get back to desktop power. My main workstation is a 15" laptop (1366x768) and a 24" Dell monitor (1920x1200) and I could definitely use more screen area when mixing audio with my main DAW. It's ok with Reason without vsts and because Reason zoom is so limited, keeps things from blowing up into a massive waveform that fills the 24" screen, which I am prone to like. Start having VSTs floating all over the place and extensive screen real estate becomes even more important.

As far as laptop prices, You need to spend a respectable amount for performance. I don't know the current laptop market, but My VAIO AW21Z (1920x1080) cost £2000 in 2009 and we still use it daily. I would probably still be composing, arranging & mixing on it now, but it stopped getting along with my Presonus Firestudio Mobile audio card...which was my user error; I originally mistakenly bought a firewire expresscard with correct TI chipset, but one that is untested by Presonus...that card failed with my current laptop as well about 18 months ago and since replacing the FW expresscard with Presonus specifically tested, varified compatibility expresscard the Firestudio Mobile works wonderfully with both machines ( as long as the wifi adapter is disabled in Device Manager).

We also bought a 13" VAIO SR29vn (1900x800) for £1300 on the same day as the 18.4" AW21z and that machine gets used 12+ hours per day and it's still going strong...both still running Windows Vista 32 bit.

My main audio laptop is a 2011 VAIO i3 Win7 64bit and it was £800. The 2009 machines are nicer aesthetically and are aging better, but the faster CPU and RAM of the i3 performs better, obviously. The last Tower I had was a Gateway Pentium 2 233MHz that cost £2k in 1998. I also have a P4 VAIO (1024x768) purchased for £2000 in 2004 running XP; that machine is fast with the single CPU. I still use it from time to time (mainly to play old games).

All these laptops became noisy and hot over the years and were assumed heading into becoming obsolete; not so. I replaced the thermal paste in all of them with Arctic MX-4 and cleaned the fans and all of them perform well now. I also replaced HDDs with SSDs on our main work machines and the instant boot time and os animation rendering saves soooooo much time and runs cool and silent. The 2009 and 2011 machines are whisper quiet now and get worked daily. I did the P4 too and it now runs smooth, it's a noisy machine by design, though.

We do have a whole bunch of Zalman laptop coolers which are no longer required (for machines not crunching audio numbers) after changing thermal paste and cleaning fans. Now I use the laptop coolers for other electronics like guitar preamp which they work great for; the cooler angles 2U rack devices up nicely when you have it on your desk. The Zalman NC3000 cooler is practically silent so I have my audio card breakout box and monitor switcher on it on my desk and those units stay at a nice temp, especially good when the weather is hot.

I have used Rebirth, Recycle, Reason and other DAWs on all of these machines over the years and the only thing that ever created problems for me was latency when playing in instruments and incompatible hardware (Digidesign & VAIO were never compatible IME). I never depended upon an inexpensive laptop to make music until these past several years as Windows finally ironed out the latency in their usb drivers. And I don't want to stay in laptop land any longer; the freedom of desktop power is enticing IMO. I know I'll be using the laptops as instruments, though, since the old ones are still going strong:-)
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

• Information