Petition for video support in Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jagwah

17 May 2017

Made my day to see this, I feel like the want for video support has gained great momentum.

Please sign the petition if you would find video support useful in Reason, thanks!

https://www.change.org/p/petition-video ... -in-reason

Jagwah

17 May 2017

This will smash the proposed 100 signatures, just a few hours after it begun.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

17 May 2017

Jagwah wrote:Made my day to see this, I feel like the want for video support has gained great momentum.

Please sign the petition if you would find video support useful in Reason, thanks!

Not saying people don't want this, but it's a strange way of doing a survey. It's like asking "Do you want candy?". Of course you want candy! The real questions are more like "how important are all of these many awesome things that could be done?", "if you can choose three of them, which would you choose?", "what problems do you have in your music making (that we could then try to solve)?", "what is this worth to you?" etc.

User research is an interesting topic. There's plenty of ways to do it, and most times you need many different ways of doing it as input. I've for example found that sitting with music makers in their home and watching them use Reason or other programs can teach me MUCH more about what they really want and need than them saying what they want and need. :)

sublunar

17 May 2017

Eh, I can think of quite a few things Reason needs before video support. I don't score music for videos but when I do edit videos I use Premiere or Vegas because those things were made for video.

Personally I really hope Propellerhead spends time improving workflow/functionality before going down the video support rabbit hole. Transport control dockable in all windows, detachable sequencer window, better midi sequencer editing tools, updated combinator and default instruments, etc.

Then after the workflow enhancements, the first big new addition they need to make is Recycle integration. Recycle needs to be fully integrated and included in Reason as a full function audio waveform editor. Reason needs to have a good waveform editor built in.

Oh and Reason needs to go mobile. Do a mobile version. Like Caustic v3. But better.

Once those things are addressed, I can see a place for video support.

Just my two cents.

Jagwah

17 May 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
Jagwah wrote:Made my day to see this, I feel like the want for video support has gained great momentum.

Not saying people don't want this, but it's a strange way of doing a survey. It's like asking "Do you want candy?". Of course you want candy! The real questions are more like "how important are all of these many awesome things that could be done?", "if you can choose three of them, which would you choose?", "what problems do you have in your music making (that we could then try to solve)?", "what is this worth to you?" etc.

User research is an interesting topic. There's plenty of ways to do it, and most times you need many different ways of doing it as input. I've for example found that sitting with music makers in their home and watching them use Reason or other programs can teach me MUCH more about what they really want and need than them saying what they want and need. :)
I have seen the polls with a list of features everybody wants and it doesn't work like it would in a controlled environment, it's like a jungle out here and if we can just control things just long enough to get 100 signatures on this one feature then it's valuable data we may not come across again. Someone made this petition today, and it's kind of on fire on Facebook at the moment.

Some people want it for scoring, some people want it for stutter type effects where video clips can be sliced etc. There is also video synthesis, which can consist of eurorack modules that use CV in just the same way, and they interact with audio modules (super cool stuff, check out LZX Industries if you're interested).

I see how this petition doesn't give you accurate data in the grand scheme of things, but at the very least just know there is a reasonable want for video support out there. I wish I could give you more compelling data. I could create a poll with a list of features and see how that goes, but it would never be as accurate as you guys doing the same via sending out a bunch of emails and collecting data that way. ;)

Whatever happens I totally understand how you guys need to proritise, and I trust you'll do your best on everybody's behalf.

Last Alternative

17 May 2017

Oh man imagine music AND video editing in Reason! No need for Adobe Premiere or programs like that anymore. We could make our music & music videos all in Reason!
Maybe someday.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

esselfortium

17 May 2017

There are free VSTs you can use to play a video in sync with your song, fwiw. Maybe not a complete solution if you're looking for other things besides synchronized video playback, just in case :puf_smile:
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Oquasec

17 May 2017

Reason, needs a video editor imo.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Benedict
Competition Winner

17 May 2017

I would LOVE to be able to add simple video to my music in the Reason timeline but I don't know of any DAW that does that.

Til then Video sync inside of Reason would be a good thing.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

aeox
Competition Winner

17 May 2017

i have Sony Vegas for that.

you have to draw the line between video editing software and music production software.

i really don't understand why people want video support in a music production program.

Jagwah

17 May 2017

aeox wrote:i really don't understand why people want video support in a music production program.
Well other DAWs have it and I did explain some 'whys' in my second comment, but you really don't need to worry. If it's implemented you can just ignore it.

Jagwah

17 May 2017

Benedict wrote:I would LOVE to be able to add simple video to my music in the Reason timeline but I don't know of any DAW that does that.

Til then Video sync inside of Reason would be a good thing.

Logic does. Thanks for the support ;)

aeox
Competition Winner

17 May 2017

Jagwah wrote:
aeox wrote:i really don't understand why people want video support in a music production program.
Well other DAWs have it and I did explain some 'whys' in my second comment, but you really don't need to worry. If it's implemented you can just ignore it.

i guess i'm thinking of manipulating a video to a already constructed track, rather scoring to a video.

i feel like it would have a much greater impact if you edit the video to fit the music in many situations, but i can see it being useful the other way around as well.. just not as often. it's a niche.

kuhliloach

18 May 2017

Yes!

Faastwalker

18 May 2017

Video Synthesis Rack Extensions with Video output. I'd like that ;) But it's a niche area I'm sure.

https://www.lzxindustries.net/products/

https://lumen-app.com/

tiker01

18 May 2017

esselfortium wrote:There are free VSTs you can use to play a video in sync with your song, fwiw. Maybe not a complete solution if you're looking for other things besides synchronized video playback, just in case :puf_smile:
Could you throw in some links?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

ljekio

18 May 2017

Benedict wrote:I would LOVE to be able to add simple video to my music in the Reason timeline but I don't know of any DAW that does that.

Reaper and Cubase

ljekio

18 May 2017

esselfortium wrote:There are free VSTs you can use to play a video in sync with your song, fwiw.
Interesting. What name of that VSTs?

Soft Enerji

18 May 2017

ljekio wrote:

Reaper and Cubase
Sonar

ltbrunt00

18 May 2017

Video Syncing would pretty much allow me to completely drop Studio One. I am Down for this but think this should be separate product or a RE type device. This could cost$149.99.

I have waited 16 years for the Props to add VST to reason. I would rather have them focused on making the VST experience the best of any DAW.

I don't know how much coding work this would need, I don't know how easy it would be to implement. If the way they are doing VST is any indication the Props would probably redefine how Video syncing in a DAW would work.

Future reason features would go like this

Full VST 2.4/3.0 integration is complete.
Video Syncing
Notation editor
Video of actual people connecting all the cables in your rack.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Creativemind

18 May 2017

Kombucha wrote:I've been teaching myself video creation & production, but it never crossed my mind to use Reason. I wouldn't vote for this, if it meant other critical things are overlooked on the DAW. The features in the suite I'm using at the moment (for video) would take a whole lot of work to integrate into Reason. For me, I see no similarities between video and audio - mind you it doesn't stop acquaintances asking me if I can do video editing for them because 'thats your area of expertise' (it's most definitely not !)
I'm with you and a couple of others posters above on this one. Sort out the AUDIO and workflow first before adding another format to the equation. We need close to 50 features such as audio, midi editing, sequencer, rack, mixer, themes, an undo events list, notepad, sync'ing browsers and windows, parameters in the right readings and much more core workflow features first before VIDEO. What would be the point of video if you can't do audiowarp, tempo detect and fit to tempo for audio yet. You'd need that to put vocals or audio in time with the video and not have it go speeded up or deep sounding.

Asking for video before that lot is addressed is like saying, let's add a caravan to this car, I love caravans, most cars allow caravans to be towed, when the car needs it's engine and interior bringing up to par first before it can tow the caravan.

Don't get me wrong, video in Reason would be awesome but not till at least Reason 11 for me.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

kuhliloach

18 May 2017

Creativemind makes a great point. I'm almost scared of the video implementation Props would conceive. Their weakness in UI design has been put on the table. The missing features have made themselves known. Props can either dig in full force to all this stuff or pussyfoot around while someone else does it. How hard was building the VST2 implementation once they made the choice to do so? If I could wave a magic wand I'd have every issue mentioned in this thread be made a top priority including video.

sdst
Competition Winner

18 May 2017

Video and image editing in Reason

No More photoshop and adobe premiere

phaza

18 May 2017

sdst wrote:Video and image editing in Reason

No More photoshop and adobe premiere
It would probably have a paint and windows movie maker capabilities at best.

kuhliloach

18 May 2017

I envision some kind of sync-tech in some ways reminiscent of Ableton Live in terms of the underlying tech, but with scrubbing. A basic implementation with a video box that's well sync'd would be a milestone. Perhaps the VST idea will make it happen first!

• Information