Petition for video support in Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
KirkMarkarian

18 May 2017

I sure hope so!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

18 May 2017

I found this VST player that works quite well had several videos of different lengths running at the same time.. http://vidplayvst.com/index.htm

taddx

18 May 2017

I'm using reasonsync to work with video, simple but doing the job.
http://www.reasonsync.com/ReasonSync.html

Creativemind

18 May 2017

taddx wrote:I'm using reasonsync to work with video, simple but doing the job.
http://www.reasonsync.com/ReasonSync.html
Reasonsync is only for mac though isn't it. Shame.

Mattias had a good point above as well. Doing a petition asking if someone wants video support in Reason is like asking for candy. Course you'd say yes but if you were say asked which one would you'd prefer (say it was the cinema) would you like a) candy free with your film b) x amount of money off your ticket price or c) upgrading to better seats, you would then get a fairer representation of what people preferred. Without options it's a bit one sided.

A better thing would've been to have said...what would you like Propellerheads to implement next in Reason:-

1) Video Support
2) Midi Editing Enhancements (More Powerful)
3) Audio Editing Enhancements (list some)
4) Combinator 2 (List features)
5) NN-XT 2 (List Features)
6) Thor 2 (List Features)
7) Vectorial Devices
8) A New Reason Modular Synth Device

The features listed need to be of equal weight as well, which is tough. That's what I tried to do there.

That would be more a POLL and would give the Props a fairer representation of what people want the MOST!

With 1 option there's no comparison.

And just asking here, don't you usually make petitions when you're appealing against something, not to request a feature in a daw lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Jagwah

18 May 2017

Creativemind wrote:And just asking here, don't you usually make petitions when you're appealing against something, not to request a feature in a daw lol!
According to the definition this seems reasonably normal, and it has done its intended job just fine. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. JK :p

Faastwalker

18 May 2017

MattiasHG wrote:Not saying people don't want this, but it's a strange way of doing a survey. It's like asking "Do you want candy?". Of course you want candy! The real questions are more like "how important are all of these many awesome things that could be done?", "if you can choose three of them, which would you choose?", "what problems do you have in your music making (that we could then try to solve)?", "what is this worth to you?" etc.
My interest in video is for generating visuals. I'd love to have something where Reason could be used to do this, output to video & use other RE devices to 'modulate' what the video generation / manipulation is doing. That would be awesome. But this is pie in the sky stuff. It would be great to have (the candy). But it requires a HUGE addition to Reason's feature set. I'd rather see current things improved, added to, tweaked if I'm honest.

I guess if you are scoring for video a video window would be a good idea. But would you need Reason for this? Maybe video support means different things to different users depending on what they are doing? I'm creating video using iOS Apps, video cameras etc, mashing this up in a video editing program against audio generated in Reason. So maybe my interpretation of video support in Reason is totally different to someone else.

mrbrownbag

19 May 2017

Really dumb idea right now. Maybe down the line.What's the point of buying reason if your not going to do music production with it. If I wanted to video and all that other stuff that's what you have cubase, nuendo, adobe for.

mrbrownbag

19 May 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
Jagwah wrote:Made my day to see this, I feel like the want for video support has gained great momentum.

Please sign the petition if you would find video support useful in Reason, thanks!

https://www.change.org/p/petition-video ... -in-reason
Not saying people don't want this, but it's a strange way of doing a survey. It's like asking "Do you want candy?". Of course you want candy! The real questions are more like "how important are all of these many awesome things that could be done?", "if you can choose three of them, which would you choose?", "what problems do you have in your music making (that we could then try to solve)?", "what is this worth to you?" etc.

User research is an interesting topic. There's plenty of ways to do it, and most times you need many different ways of doing it as input. I've for example found that sitting with music makers in their home and watching them use Reason or other programs can teach me MUCH more about what they really want and need than them saying what they want and need. :)
As a music producer I hope you guys do this later and not now. Better audio editing etc. Most of the videos I see of people using reason on youtube are for music produciton purposes. I hope it stays that way for the time being. With the addition of adding vst support you guys can get compete with the FL Studio, etc. I think even studio one for production. Problem with (biggest complaint right now) Presonus is the CPU usuage. Anyway congrats on the 9.5 release.

mrbrownbag

19 May 2017

Jagwah wrote:
Benedict wrote:I would LOVE to be able to add simple video to my music in the Reason timeline but I don't know of any DAW that does that.

Til then Video sync inside of Reason would be a good thing.

:)
Logic does. Thanks for the support ;)
Then why not use Logic? Plus why do a petition when you can just get in contact with the reason product manager who posts on here.

Jagwah

20 May 2017

Kombucha wrote:Who wrote the copy on that petition ?

"Now that VST in Reason is a reality and new possibilities grew exponentially, the only cause to still use a different DAW is the lack of Video Support."

Lack of video is far from the only thing that people would use other DAWs for. Reason's audio handling, crossfading parameters etc is truly prehistoric.
I didn't write it, just shared it.

I would love some video editing capabilites in Reason more than anything, but I think I am done with discussing it.

ljekio

20 May 2017

Yet another media-VST (unfortunately mp4 and mov files not supported, but freeware)
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (309.99 KiB) Viewed 3388 times
http://www.lofibucket.com/articles/videoplayer.html

Take from archive only one file - mediavst.x64.dll

Moccrok

20 May 2017

Big +1 for me; now we are getting VST support if Video support was added I would no longer use Cubase (Sorry Steinberg :redface: )

ltbrunt00

21 May 2017

I'll keep studio one around until Reason gets Video support, or some good VST with the Capability pops up. After using the 9.5 Beta my Studio one days are over.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

ltbrunt00

21 May 2017

for making music that is
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

deepndark

22 May 2017

Does anyone know if there's a video editor that can be rewired to Reason?

KHENSU

22 May 2017

Soft Enerji wrote:
ljekio wrote:
Benedict wrote:I would LOVE to be able to add simple video to my music in the Reason timeline but I don't know of any DAW that does that.

:)
Reaper and Cubase
Sonar
LOGIC, Pro Tools, Nuendo, Cubase. Essentially ALL others (that really matter) allow video import.

KHENSU

22 May 2017

sdst wrote:Video and image editing in Reason

No More photoshop and adobe premiere
Not at all. I don't know why people keep saying this. The request is for a video track to import and play with frame accuracy along with the sequencer so people can add music/sound to the video. People who score to film/video need this and it's in every other DAW that's out and relevant to the industry. The petition says NOTHING whatsoever about video editing.

KHENSU

22 May 2017

ljekio wrote:Yet another media-VST (unfortunately mp4 and mov files not supported, but freeware)
screen.jpg

There are others as well yet they aren't frame accurate or have other quirks. And the lack of .mov support for that one makes it obsolete to many sound designers/scorers because Quicktime is a widely used format. Resync is another.

CharlyCharlzz

22 May 2017

I signed anyway .
I Want and Need Video Support but I need it only to expand my knoledge !
it's not a artistic need to produce to me or a professional need , it's to be able to step into video audio dubbing and Learn to make awesome movies or video montage and have Reason sequencing the sound tracks of it .
I can only imagine what it's like right now to have a Modulare Reason Home Made Synth doing the Sound FX and back ground noise of anything I film with my phone .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

centomila

24 May 2017

ljekio wrote:Yet another media-VST (unfortunately mp4 and mov files not supported, but freeware)
screen.jpg

I've tried now with an MP4 generated by the Radeon ReLive utility and it works amazingly well! Thanks for sharing. This is AWESOME!

selig
RE Developer

24 May 2017

KHENSU wrote:
screen.jpg

There are others as well yet they aren't frame accurate or have other quirks. And the lack of .mov support for that one makes it obsolete to many sound designers/scorers because Quicktime is a widely used format. Resync is another.
What about all the other 'scoring to picture' features that those who do this sort of thing need? Timecode support, spotting, time stamp events, locking events to TC, scrubbing/scrolling, TC markers, nudging by frames, export to video, etc.?

Otherwise there are already multiple VSTs out there that support simple video sync, right?

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

apostrophedave

25 May 2017

it doesnt make sense to have video editing features in reason when there are tons of other programs that to that already.
all that needs to be done is to sync a video file to play in time with the sequencer.

Jagwah

25 May 2017

selig wrote:What about all the other 'scoring to picture' features that those who do this sort of thing need? Timecode support, spotting, time stamp events, locking events to TC, scrubbing/scrolling, TC markers, nudging by frames, export to video, etc.?

Otherwise there are already multiple VSTs out there that support simple video sync, right?

Some basic video editing features would just be amazing in Reason imo, and yes there are multiple VSTs that cover the basic sync feature and word is they work just fine.

selig
RE Developer

25 May 2017

Jagwah wrote:
selig wrote:What about all the other 'scoring to picture' features that those who do this sort of thing need? Timecode support, spotting, time stamp events, locking events to TC, scrubbing/scrolling, TC markers, nudging by frames, export to video, etc.?

Some basic video editing features would just be amazing in Reason imo, and yes there are multiple VSTs that cover the basic sync feature and word is they work just fine.
Just to be clear, I'm not talking about video editing features, but the OTHER features that you need when scoring to picture.
Simple video playback is already (in four days) possible in Reason via VSTs, so that request seems to have been taken care of by way of add VST support (same for disc streaming for samplers).

The only way Reason will attract folks who score to picture using other software is to add a complete scoring package, which is unlikely to happen any time soon IMO. Those needing only video playback will have their wishes fulfilled in four days…
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

25 May 2017

I'd love some simple video editing features; such as cut, copy and paste.

I score to film and dance using video playback. That's all I really need for those.

But I'm also interested in making silly remixed videos :D
Right now I take audio from a video and chop it up. I prefer to work in Reason for making music. But then I have to export it to something else I have like iMovie to then try to sync everything up after the music is made, which is a bit tough. There might be a better workflow, but again, I like to have all the elements for the music and what I hear, inside Reason. So it would be nice to be able to just chop up the video with the audio inside Reason and be able to run the video's audio through all my Reason effects and Reason's pitch edit, etc.

• Information