Help Needed: Timing Off for CV Triggered Drums

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Simontho

15 May 2017

Hi All,

I have a question regarding using CV to trigger drum samples. Any help is greatly appreciated! (Note: I am new to using CV.)

I am using CV to do drum replacement on an audio track. I have several audio tracks that are each running through a Pulveriser FX unit, and the "CV Follower" output of each Pulverizer is routed to the "Gate In" on one of the pads on a Kong unit. (Separate Kong for each audio track.)

I'm using a Loop that contains snare, kick and hihat so I created 3 separate instances of the track and dialed in the EQ and Pulveriser threshold so the CV only triggers the Kong units when the desired EQ range or sound plays in the Loop. When I mute the original audio tracks and play the loop in the sequencer, the samples triggered by the Kong units play to recreate the loop and it sounds great.

However, when I bounce the audio to a new track so I can "record" or save the new samples being triggered by the CV, the resulting bounce doesn't sound right. The timing for the CV triggers seems to be off and the same groove that is recreated when looped in the sequencer is not carried over to the bounced clip.

Does anyone have experience with using CV for drum replacement? Am I doing something wrong that is causing the timing to be off when bouncing to clips? (If I am able to bounce clips that sound exactly like the sequencer playback, I'll be over the moon!) All suggestions appreciated.

- Simon

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 May 2017

Have you tried a live recording to Audio of the loop, or even rendering the Song?

I know that Env Followers can be a bit late as they have to trigger but they should not really change from one state to another so if they sound fine, they should render fine.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

selig
RE Developer

15 May 2017

Pulveriser is probably the slowest solution for what you're doing. Try using the MClass Compressor instead. Even then, using CV will be slower than using a more direct solution via a plugin such as those from Slate etc.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Simontho

15 May 2017

I appreciate the answers Selig and Benedict.

I read a little bit about the potential limitations CV / Env Follower solution. I will try to MClass Compressor method today and see if the end result is improved.

Benedict: Is there a way to make a live audio recording of the loop without bouncing tracks? As I mentioned before, the playback in the sequencer sounds perfect but once bounced/rendered it all sounds off.

Selig: Is the "Steven Slate Drum Trigger 2" the plugin you are referring to? It looks awesome. Is there any Rack Extension solution that would work for this purpose too? Good thing VST support is coming...

Thanks,

Simon

selig
RE Developer

15 May 2017

Hi Simon, there isn't an RE that I'm aware of for drum triggering, and IMO Slate Trigger is the best solution in the VST world (and comes with some useful samples too). There are some other cheaper options out there, but I don't have any experience with them.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information