I feel sad: 32-inch tv resolution

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
willowman

11 May 2017

howdy people, can any of you learned folk help me out please?

I recently signed up for sky tv and tied into the deal was a free 32 inch tv, I didn't need a new tv as such
so i got to thinking ...yayy, new 32 inch monitor for my goodself

anyhow the tv was delivered this morning just before I left for work and I spent all day relishing the thought of
hooking up my new monitor (tbh this was the only thing that got me thru the day)

I've just hooked it up (via a hdmi cable) and reason looks like total crap, I've tried changing screen resolutions etc etc
but it still looks terrible....am i missing something here?..it was my assumption that tv's could be used as monitors...any ideas?
Jez: "How long can it take to come up with 3 minutes of music?" Hans: "6 minutes max"
Jez: "That's being generous. That's 2 minutes per minute"

WongoTheSane

11 May 2017

It might be because your new monitor's max resolution is too low. Could you post the brand/model so we can check online?

Palmeira

11 May 2017

Your new TV should be fine mate. Try maybe using a different cable and looking a little deeper into your video settings. A TV probably won't be quite as sharp as a dedicated monitor (depending on the quality of the TV) but should be more than capable of displaying the output from a computer. Remember you have settings on the TV itself and not just on the computer too.

Best of luck mate, you'll sort it - just keep trying!

sublunar

11 May 2017

Descriptive thread title.

Oquasec

11 May 2017

Stopped usin tv monitors since 2014 but I know there's good ones like the bravia series out there that also act as pc monitors if you don't use an interface adapter with consoles and stuff.

[24 inch dell 1080p low latency monitor on the low low]
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Auryn

11 May 2017

Like Palmeira said, try checking your tv's settings. Most TV's are set to overscan out of the box thus won't yield a 1:1 pixel display (and it may thus appear blurry, especially up close). Find the screen size/overscan selection, and set it to "screen fit" or some similarly named mode. Other stuff that may help image quality from a computer are reducing the "sharpness" settings some tv's have, and switch off any colour based poohah like digital vibrance.

I use an (8+ year old by now) 32" samsung tv as monitor and have never had any image problems, a regular LCD/Led TV should be capable of producing an image about as sharp a bog-standard office monitor.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

aeox
Competition Winner

11 May 2017

i hope you get it figured out, it pains me when others are sad!

ejanuska

11 May 2017

Try changing the TV

WongoTheSane

11 May 2017

ejanuska wrote:Try changing the TV
Savage :twisted:

sdst
Competition Winner

11 May 2017

Even on a 200 inch tv Reason looks bad, Yes, I tried it. lol

sorry

Zac

11 May 2017

I use my 40 inch 1080 at 1360x768 via a VGA cable and reason looks great. Try VGA rather than HDMI?

EnochLight

11 May 2017

I've used Reason on my 50" plasma via VGA, but it's only 720p. Looks fine (well, as fine as can be on such a low resolution monitor). Text isn't crisp and I can see pixels, but hell - this panel is over 10 years old and came out before 1080p panels were made!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Ostermilk

11 May 2017

Sadly the OP only states the size of the TV which has little or no bearing on it's suitability for use as any kind of monitor.

As long as the TV is capable of, I'd suggest a minimum of 1080p, i.e Full HD it should be suitable for use as a monitor via HDMI depending on how near or far you are away from it.

I noticed the other day in a supermarket that sells lower priced TV's in the UK many of those were classed as HD Ready 720p screens which would likely look crap.

In any event familiarize yourself with the units manual to learn of it's capabilities but TBH I've had more success using a Monitor as a TV via a sattelite box than I have the other way round.

Isn't watching TV something you only do when your computer is broken though? Perhaps that's just me... :)

Edit: Ah I see EnochLight got there just before I did!

Blast

12 May 2017

I retired my 42 inch 4k monitor because Reason doesn't scale well on 4k monitors, everything just looked blurry.

pushedbutton

12 May 2017

Well, I've done some research and it looks like the offer was for a HG32ED450SW Samsung TV.
This is a HD Ready TV so 1080p isn't happening, 1080i might be ok at 30Hz but it's designed to be 720p resolution.
They retail for £149 and wherever I look people seem to keep mentioning hotel rooms.
I'm guessing these were designed to be cheap and bought in bulk. I wouldn't hold up much hope for getting a brilliant display out of this TV.
It doesn't have a VGA interface.
The best I can suggest is to set the output resolution to 1366 x 768 to match the TV's native resolution and put the 'smart mode' settings to Game.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

kitekrazy

13 May 2017

Zac wrote:I use my 40 inch 1080 at 1360x768 via a VGA cable and reason looks great. Try VGA rather than HDMI?
This. It always work.

pushedbutton

13 May 2017

kitekrazy wrote:
Zac wrote:I use my 40 inch 1080 at 1360x768 via a VGA cable and reason looks great. Try VGA rather than HDMI?
This. It always work.
it has no VGA interface.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.

kitekrazy

13 May 2017

pushedbutton wrote:
kitekrazy wrote:
This. It always work.
it has no VGA interface.
It is all HDMI? Some will have DVI which a VGA to DMI adapter will work. I don't use HDMI since my receiver doesn't have HDMI.

pushedbutton

13 May 2017

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

19 May 2017

We've got a 48in 4kTV hooked up to our main PC, with NVIDIA 970GTX, and we're not looking back!!

2x 23in fullHDs were nice, 3 would have been very Matrix "Operator" style setup, but 4K just sets us up loads better.

Going TV route we'd advise checking out a few screens plus see about getting a screenshot of a 4k image (PNG minimum, NOT JPEG as that can look shoddy, and not Facebook because they crunch the sweet feck out of images to keep server loads down) on a USB and ask the guys in the store if you can plug it in. Of course take your own laptop to show them there's nothing else on the stick, and tell them you're looking to buy but want to test out first. If the sales guy thinks they may get commission, chances are they'll take you to screen no1 on their list, which is likely to be the pocket denter. Play their game, but ensure right cables or the right resolution is running, and go thorugh testing the screens. If they won't oblige, tell them "shame as I was going to buy...", even if you're not :D

What you want to check for is the red content and contrast, as reading up on this we've found that TVs running images from graphics cards *sometimes* posterizes the reds, giving a sort of pixelated look, even though you may know the image is perfect sharpness. This can be a deal breaker, and we've swotted up on this (sometimes down to the parts causing the red 'jaggies').

Believe us, we research like hell and we make sure the gophers in the store run around providing the needs for us. We did this when a local store had a DVD player pushing HDTV, so bound to look garish, while the HD-DVD player was strapped in to a non-fullHD LCD on other side of the store (again waste of time), we got them to run around, unplug shit, rig it up properly AND run 3 films of different eras; the demo disc showing the actual HD quality, The Matrix (so 1990 DVD) and Never Say Never Again (1980's DVD) - this helped us, plus many of the onlookers who were quite in awe of a proper rig being setup for the first time in that store, determine and see what we should and could expect - you can't improve old quality imagery and resolution, and new 'square' pixel layouts show a multitude of sin when displaying circles, compared to the good ol' CRT triangular form setup where your eye could never see the edges of the pixels, and always looked smoother (all be it probably slightly softer / blurred)

Another thing is the refresh rate - TVs commonly would have 30Hz rate back in the day. 4kTVs by design are 60Hz, which is what most if not all common PC/Mac monitors should refresh at. Saying that though, the 4kTVs can accept 30Hz. Our friend on a Mac had an NVIDIA card outputting 4k but at 30Hz... HyperSports anyone? 30Hz is just too slow, mouse tracking is awful, even though faster (just) than our eyes. You can Mac-hack the BIOS (so he told us) to spew out the 60Hz option, as it's hidden in there. PCs fortunately let you go down this route if the GFX card allows (watch out when buying GFX cards too that say 4K resolution, some small print may say 4K @ 30Hz - AVOID!!)

This link might be helpful to some looking into this area when considering upping to 4k TV as the new desktop, although the link is older now, some of the relevance is still there.

http://www.displaymate.com/LCD_Plasma_ShootOut.htm

TVs though commonly aren't designed for the PC enthusiast (also Star Wars Battlefront in 4k is droolingly good), yet newer reviews such as http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by ... pc-monitor are getting with the fact that people want bigger desktops, it's our virtual desk that way (which is tidier than shedloads of papers and folders all over the real-world desktop surface)

Just some insight, and experiences which we're happy to share with you guys, there's nothing worse than hyping up for a good / great buy, to find out your choice suffers because xyz wasn't looked at

:D anyway off to go batter some Rebel scum....

EnochLight

19 May 2017

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:We've got a 48in 4kTV hooked up to our main PC, with NVIDIA 970GTX, and we're not looking back!!....
So, which brand/model 4K tv did you end up getting?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

19 May 2017

Went for this one, didn't want to shell out a shedload, plus got it pretty cheap (got a couple of discounts plus extra funds we weren't expecting so got this for £217 at the time, it was £300 on offer)

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5487673

zeebot

19 May 2017

I mostly sit on my couch/sofa with these...

One of these...

Using one of these...

Doing this...

And it is great fun :puf_smile:
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

pushedbutton

22 May 2017

zeebot wrote:I mostly sit on my couch/sofa with these...
I'm coming to your house for pizza night.
That does look like fun :)

EnochLight

22 May 2017

zeebot wrote:I mostly sit on my couch/sofa with these...

Using one of these...
Projector-in-Hand-Best-View-CROP-MR.jpg
Projector-in-Hand-Best-View-CROP-MR.jpg (68.27 KiB) Viewed 3639 times
And it is great fun :puf_smile:
Which Optima is that? They sell like a dozen different models. Looks like a 1080p projector, though. :(

• Information