Cant launch Reason 9 anymore "Read Problem" Error Message

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Bert

02 May 2017

Hello I hope someone is able to help me

I cant open Reason 9 anymore, whenever I log in it starts to load and an error message pops up which says "Read Problem - The Operation could not be completed because of a read problem." Cant open Demo Mode either... anyone familiar with this?

I have Reason 9.2 and run it on a iMac with version 10.8.5

Backstory: (dont know if its connected to the problem though)...I usually keep Reason open whenever I put my computer in standby. Yesterday I wanted to use it as usual but nothing responded anymore, couldnt open something different either. So after a few minutes of not able to do anything I turned the computer off... my mac didnt start up like 3 times hanging in the grey apple load screen everytime (was waiting more than 10mins). I reseted the PRAM/NVRAM (cause I read this might help) but it didnt work. Weirdly, disconnecting it from the internet and power supply then restart it, it worked. I then made a back up of everything just in case it happens again. Since then I cant launch Reason and this message pops up.

Anyone know whats up? :(

jappe

02 May 2017

I would guess some disk drive problem.
Perhaps check disk
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201639

FlowerSoldier

02 May 2017

I'm with jappe. Sounds like a HD problem. By any chance do you have the Fusion Drive? My friend's iMac had a similar problem. I hope it works itself out. It didn't end well for my buddy. It all started when he hard reset his iMac too...

FlowerSoldier

02 May 2017

Bert wrote:Hello I hope someone is able to help me

I cant open Reason 9 anymore, whenever I log in it starts to load and an error message pops up which says "Read Problem - The Operation could not be completed because of a read problem." Cant open Demo Mode either... anyone familiar with this?

Backstory: (dont know if its connected to the problem though)...I usually keep Reason open whenever I put my computer in standby. Yesterday I wanted to use it as usual but nothing responded anymore, couldnt open something different either. So after a few minutes of not able to do anything I turned the computer off... my mac didnt start up like 3 times hanging in the grey apple load screen everytime (was waiting more than 10mins). I reseted the PRAM/NVRAM (cause I read this might help) but it didnt work. Weirdly, disconnecting it from the internet and power supply then restart it, it worked. I then made a back up of everything just in case it happens again. Since then I cant launch Reason and this message pops up.

Anyone know whats up? :(
Bert, can you follow up? I have an iMac too and would like to know if you were able to resolve your issue.

Lov2sing

02 May 2017

Go to YouTube under the heading (Fix my iMac), and there you can find a fix for the same problem. I had an issue when I put more RAM and it did something similar. I am not sure your problem is the same as mine but they explained what was going on.
We make music for a reason

LudvigC
Reason Studios

03 May 2017

Bert wrote:Hello I hope someone is able to help me

:(
I would start by removing the Preferences file and relaunching Reason. Could be some file path there causing problems.

/ LudvigC

Bert

03 May 2017

Thanks for all the replies!

Its not working yet and yes I do believe I have Fusion Drive.

What I tried:
- cmnd+r at reboot for Disk Utility to repair my disk (it said everything is fine but repaired it anyways just to make sure)
- removing preferences file (I then could choose audio interface + keyboard after the login but still failed to open a demo song again with Read Problem)
- deleting anything Reason related in the Cache folder and in Saved Application State folder
- uninstall and reinstall Reason

Reason was open when the computer crashed but also iTunes, Firefox and the Finder and these applications work fine. Its just so weird...everything works except Reason. :|

best

jappe

03 May 2017

Remove anything you have connected on USB or other ports and try starting again.

Also a hardware test would be good.

http://osxdaily.com/2016/06/25/how-to-u ... -problems/

stevensad1112

27 Sep 2017

Hi,

The solution would appear to be found in the following link:

https://www.propellerheads.se/support/u ... -reason-9/

The folder in question in application support should be deleted in order for Reason 9 to launch. This should fix the issue.

robgs

28 Sep 2017

I've had locked/read errors before. I've found it relates to cache issues in the rack extensions folder. Try removing the cache files and launching Reason. Authorizer should launch and regenerate a fresh cache file.
:reason: :record: :refill: :reload: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

MacKBooth

28 Sep 2017

I encountered a similar error with 9.5.
We ended up deleting all reason files such as the ones listed here : https://www.propellerheads.se/support/u ... -reason-9/
We then transferred reason from a different computer on the same network and it worked.

• Information