POLL: How likely are you to dump your "other" DAW now that VST support is here?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

How likely are you to dump your other DAW now that VST support is here?

Never used another DAW - a Staunch and Loyal True Blue Propellerhead Reason Fanatic
27%
Very Likely - No use at all for it any more
28%
Maybe - Time will tell
17%
Not likely at all - Still need other DAW for audio/video editing , certain features etc
27%

Total votes: 208
gullum

14 May 2017

I dumped my other DAWs after Reason + Record were released only used other DAW so I could rewire to record guitars and vocals

Faastwalker

14 May 2017

22ndCenturyStudio wrote:I will never dump my S1 3 & Mixcraft 8 DAW's ... reasons being, is that Reason still does not have MP3 export
Could be a moot point before too long;

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... igital-mu/

Dante

14 May 2017

Missing Option :

I have already dumped my other DAW (Cubase) for Reason irrespective of owning VST's

Bunja

14 May 2017

I got to be honest i"ve tried out some kind of versions of cubase ai and le and ai i gave away , ableton live lite i gave away , sony acid pro music studio i used for vst alongside essentials i have.now.gave away . I tried out studio one ugly , ableton the midi sucks , bitwig ugly , reaper workflow is complicated , reason streamlimed , i hope they just added whats needed noe in next reason version , not too much dont bloat it out thats where cubase went wrong , thats why i still liked acid for a bit coz it flows easy and streamlined (32 bit is dead now though) now reason has vst i have no need.to buy another.daw there are free audio.ediitors , another thing maybe needed is video support maybe , but now reason has added vst they have no reason to hold back now there competing with a different market, but for me midi., audio.quantize , automation, recording , mixing , arranging , right now this is all i need amd reason has the most easiest uncomplicated flow i , few times i looked at cubase studio but nah its got a ugly flow now compared to sx 3 so i tried reason bout 3 or 4 years ago now i did have full student version but sold it(lost job dont ask lol) , regretted got essentials 9,and now im sticking with it maybe once the tunes come out of me again ill upgrade to full 10 ,.but quote me on this , reason is now my one and only DAW i will never change ever , hopefully unless they went out of buissness which i cant see happening .

22ndCenturyStudio

14 May 2017

Jagwah wrote:
You can convert your wav to mp3, will take you about 2 minutes outside Reason.
What....you honestly think I wasn't aware that I could convert to MP3 outside of Reason??Do you remember the part where I mentioned that I have Studio One AND Mixcraft?B-o-t-h of these DAW's have MP3 conversion options.
The point I was making,is that I want the convenience of MP3 conversion within Reason and I thought this point was blatantly obvious.Since Reason finally supports VST,don't you think it's about f**king time Reason adds an MP3 export option??

22ndCenturyStudio

14 May 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
22ndCenturyStudio wrote:I will never dump my S1 3 & Mixcraft 8 DAW's ... reasons being, is that Reason still does not have MP3 export
Could be a moot point before too long;

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... igital-mu/

Yeah....you are right...just because MP3 might become obsolete one day,I should just dump my 2 other DAW's(despite the fact that these DAW's have multiple export formats other than MP3) and I should just dispose of S1 3 & Mixcraft altogether and forget about all of the other reasons why they are still very useful to me and I guess the several hundreds of dollars invested,is no big deal either and easily dismiss-able...right? :roll:

Jagwah

14 May 2017

22ndCenturyStudio wrote:
Jagwah wrote:
What....you honestly think I wasn't aware that I could convert to MP3 outside of Reason??Do you remember the part where I mentioned that I have Studio One AND Mixcraft?B-o-t-h of these DAW's have MP3 conversion options.
The point I was making,is that I want the convenience of MP3 conversion within Reason and I thought this point was blatantly obvious.Since Reason finally supports VST,don't you think it's about f**king time Reason adds an MP3 export option??
Yeah definitely wasn't trying to belittle you in any way, my point was that it can be done in about 2 minutes. Personally I almost never need it, but it probably should be a basic feature for a big DAW like Reason, I guess it's that damn prority system they are always going on about keeping it away this long. Hopefully R10 will bring a whole bunch of stuff.

Bunja

14 May 2017

Jagwah wrote:
22ndCenturyStudio wrote:
Jagwah wrote:
Yeah definitely wasn't trying to belittle you in any way, my point was that it can be done in about 2 minutes. Personally I almost never need it, but it probably should be a basic feature for a big DAW like Reason, I guess it's that damn prority system they are always going on about keeping it away this long. Hopefully R10 will bring a whole bunch of stuff.
Dont even take two mins with the free winlame less than a min , its really not a reason i would hold on to a daw when free programs can do this.

22ndCenturyStudio

14 May 2017

Bunja wrote:
Dont even take two mins with the free winlame less than a min , its really not a reason i would hold on to a daw when free programs can do this.
Why would it take any longer,for me to just use my existing other DAW's(as supposed to a open source program?)Why is it that an $89 DAW like Mixcraft,has built in MP3 export,but not a $400 DAW??
Yeah...it's not really time consuming,as it does not take a big chunk out of your day to export audio,followed by importing it into another program and then exporting it again...but there is no valid reason for the Props not to include MP3.I mean...I've sunk hundreds of dollars into Reason over the years and it's a nice convenience to have a built-in MP3 option.
That said and the point being,is that it is really nonsensical on the Props part,to exclude MP3 export after all this time and it's just f**king annoying.Reason is a significant investment and I want that feature,goddammit.
After many years of batch and moaning,the Props finally caved in and included VST support,but something as as simple as adding MP3 export,is too much of an expense and too much of a hassle for Propellerhead to implement?
The whole senseless absurdity of it really pisses me off.

Bunja

14 May 2017

22ndCenturyStudio wrote:
Bunja wrote:
Why would it take any longer,for me to just use my existing other DAW's(as supposed to a open source program?)Why is it that an $89 DAW like Mixcraft,has built in MP3 export,but not a $400 DAW??
Yeah...it's not really time consuming,as it does not take a big chunk out of your day to export audio,followed by importing it into another program and then exporting it again...but there is no valid reason for the Props not to include MP3.I mean...I've sunk hundreds of dollars into Reason over the years and it's a nice convenience to have a built-in MP3 option.
That said and the point being,is that it is really nonsensical on the Props part,to exclude MP3 export after all this time and it's just f**king annoying.Reason is a significant investment and I want that feature,goddammit.
After many years of batch and moaning,the Props finally caved in and included VST support,but something as as simple as adding MP3 export,is too much of an expense and too much of a hassle for Propellerhead to implement?
The whole senseless absurdity of it really pisses me off.

I get you m8 i always encode to mp3 using winlame if i wanna say play stuff im making on my phone so its a feature i use a lot and would be nicer if in reason and if winlame wasnt there id be pissed off tbh , but yeah i suppose it would be one less program i need to install as my computer has barely any programs installed . make you right there.

Bunja

14 May 2017

But i wouldnt use another daw for this purpose alone , as there are free programs

mojo

14 May 2017

Don't need another daw at all (bitig and so3 on sale) but I'll keep renoise for pattern based stuff and I'll get rédux to have renoise inside reason.

clone

14 May 2017

100% Reason since 3.0
Now that VST's are here, never again will even think about another DAW.
Reason is my true love!

Jmax

14 May 2017

I will dump Studio One 3 and Ableton and stay with Reason forever now. Ohahahaha. No really, i will. All those beautiful Kontakt libraries now in Reason and mastering? Got that covered with Ozone 7. Honestly, i love the sequencer and workflow of Reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oquasec

14 May 2017

Reason could be used as a legit standalone daw since 5[version I started on]
But I still like Studio One so that stays. Using reason has taught me so much about modular synthesis as well as many hardware based practices while having a fun and immersive user interface that makes total sense.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EnochLight

15 May 2017

Oquasec wrote:Reason could be used as a legit standalone daw since 5
Absolutely it could, if what you considered a legit standalone DAW didn't include:
  • Audio recording
  • Proper mixer
  • Time-stretch/quantize audio
  • Spectral analysis
  • Audio pitch editing
  • 3rd party plugin support
  • Etc...
I mean, I could go on but... I'm legitimately interested how you could use Reason 5 as a legit DAW without using other software (such as Record 1.5, which basically made it Reason 6 - which was still missing a lot of the aforementioned features). Don't get me wrong - I love Reason and have been aboard since Reason 1.0, but I had to step outside of Reason to get most of the above done prior to 7, 8, and 9.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ltbrunt00

15 May 2017

Bitwig 2.1 update today, I guess I will chew on that until May 29th.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

ltbrunt00

15 May 2017

Unless I get the 9.5 beta then bitwig will go back in the closet for a while.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

RustyShakleforde

15 May 2017

I was considering moving to Bitwig but sooo happy i can now do what i had always really wanted, which was to use everything in Reason - which was the first ever music production prog i ever used (v2.0!! at college). I may keep my bitwig license incase props throw a curve ball an do something silly (like subscription) but long as Reason stays on track I am happy to be in the fold. I am not one for brand worship etc - but this is a company I have always liked and, though i was a little skeptical with the whole selling a large stake to investment company, I am really impressed with what they have done. Really its one of the only companies i have love for. 99% others I am indifferent or critical of :) I seriously cant wait till the 29th for full release of 9.5

Oquasec

16 May 2017

Decided to Stick to both Reason and Studio One for good.
Synthedit also. So far I'm having a blast using those in rewire at the moment.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

aftrshok99

16 May 2017

I also use Studio One but I will probably do most of my work in Reason now since it has VST support. There's just something about Reason that keeps me coming back to it, probably because I've used it since version 1.
Reason+ / Bitwig Studio 4 / NI Maschine MK3 / Novation Launchpad Mini MK3 / NI M32

EdGrip

16 May 2017

I keep Studio One Prime around for quick and painless cutting and dicing of audio clips. For everything else, Reason.

syncanonymous

16 May 2017

Goriila Texas wrote:Nope,Reason still has a long way to go to compete with the big boys imo. But I do like the way they added VST though. For rewire users like me vst implementation doesn't do much for me because I use Reason more as a plug-in. Mixing, editing automation/audio/midi is so much more powerful in Studio One.
Yes, I totally agree with this statement. I compose and record music in Reason. For pro audio mixing, I am sticking with Saw Studio; the vertical waveform zoom levels are second to none. In Reason the vertical zooming is laughable, PHeads should be embarrassed by it. I also despise the way the palyhead moves around all over the place when zooming in and out in the Seq in Reason. It is dependent upon where the playhead is in the time line; a really frustrating thing for serious work. Yeah, SAW ain't for everybody, but it functions fantastically once you know what you are doing & extremely low CPU hit.

Last year I looked into Logic X and Reaper and Reaper comes the closest to SAWs awesome zoom functionality. ....but Reaper doesn't allow vertical waveform zoom in its window where you view the raw audio and highlight loop points. This is a huge blunder. 75% of my work is interviewing people talking and being able to zoom deep enough to see inhales and low level noises is vital to work flow. Reason isn't up to such a task and neither is Logic. All this said, the younger guys interested in doing the type of work I typically do are not going to spend the crazy money SAW is; Reaper they can afford. So, I will have to go the Cuckoos way cuz PT and Adobe subscription software doesn't interest me in the slightest. Reaper has a lot of other good functionalities; like reconcile xml & ninjajam for instance all my tweeps are crazy about right now.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

groggy1

17 May 2017

I'm totally dumping Sonar. I was only using it to host VSTs, and don't need that anymore.

Sonar was pretty stable, and generally worked well. But I just love the Reason workflow: So many things make more sense to me in Reason than Sonar:
1) Automation in Sonar always hurt my head
2) Setting-up Midi-controller-mapping with "ACT" in Sonar was crazy complex
3) Finding anything in the menus is hard (since there's just too many options!)

But there are a couple things I'll miss about Sonar:
1) Linked clips (copy a clip, edit the master clip - and all child-clips automatically pickup the changes)
2) Ability to quantize note lengths easily
3) Track freeze was really nice in Sonar

hardwire666

17 May 2017

Reaper has been my main DAW for years. Its routing flexibility is just AMAZING! But I've really missed the ease of everything being in one save and with vst's being supported now i can gain that back. I may still have a use for reaper at somepoint, but not anytime soon... baring compatability issues.

• Information