POLL: How likely are you to dump your "other" DAW now that VST support is here?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

How likely are you to dump your other DAW now that VST support is here?

Never used another DAW - a Staunch and Loyal True Blue Propellerhead Reason Fanatic
27%
Very Likely - No use at all for it any more
28%
Maybe - Time will tell
17%
Not likely at all - Still need other DAW for audio/video editing , certain features etc
27%

Total votes: 208
stratatonic

28 Apr 2017

POLL: How likely are you to dump your other DAW now that VST support is here?
Last edited by stratatonic on 28 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Electric-Metal

28 Apr 2017

How about another option: I do not use any other DAW anyways. ;)
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

stratatonic

28 Apr 2017

Electric-Metal wrote:How about another option: I do not use any other DAW anyways. ;)
ok...changed :)

EDIT: whoops, looks like a few votes disappeared :(

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2017

what other daw? :D

Electric-Metal

28 Apr 2017

Thank you, sir.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

Gulale

28 Apr 2017

Hell NO! long live Harrison 32C for mixing.
Gulale aka Bereket

CharlyCharlzz

28 Apr 2017

if video dub yes dump all the stupid app crap etc..
i mostly only use Reason anyway .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Goriila Texas

28 Apr 2017

Nope,Reason still has a long way to go to compete with the big boys imo. But I do like the way they added VST though. For rewire users like me vst implementation doesn't do much for me because I use Reason more as a plug-in. Mixing, editing automation/audio/midi is so much more powerful in Studio One.

Last Alternative

28 Apr 2017

Fruit Loops is #1. Jk totally. But maybe you should add a selection for "Have tried other DAWs and now Reason is the only DAW FOREVER!!!"
None of your options apply for me.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Wook

28 Apr 2017

No. I have Push 2 and Reason is nowhere close to it's smooth sequencer and sample chopping capabilities.

txh003

28 Apr 2017

The likelihood that I dump my other DAWs in lieu of Reason is 0%.

Nevertheless, as stated in another post, I plan to upgrade my Reason 7 license when version 10 is released, if the pricing model remains unchanged (i.e., non-subscription).

I am unsure how much I will use Reason when/if I upgrade. Overall, I am fairly satisfied with my other DAW options, at this time, which includes Samplitude Pro X3 Suite, Digital Performer 9 and Studio One 3 Professional.

With that said, I am happy that hardcore Reason users will finally be able to natively access VSTs. It has been long overdue, IMHO.
Last edited by txh003 on 28 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

Flandersh

28 Apr 2017

As it is now, it can't compete with the workflow I have in Studio One, so I will wait until it eventually comes a strip-down version of Reason without Record to upgrade.

damasio

28 Apr 2017

I use reason mainly as a creative sketchpad, to later finish it in protools and sometimes logic.
But VST's are a great addition, if i would be able to use more effects plugins, reason might become very close to my no1 production daw.

pjeudy

28 Apr 2017

Vst implementation is awesome !! But It will not Make REASON my main DAW or ditch Studio One for REASON 9.5.

The 3 reasons are ...
1. S1 offers me a VST host already.

2. I can't remember the last time I worked on a track and said to my self "Dam, that part would have sounded better If I was using a CV connection here". don't get me wrong I used to be on the road driving and day dream about how I'm going to create a bad ass CV combinator, well I did create a bunch of Combis for the love of CV connection ...but on balance CV is not extremely critical for making noise. Yes it's cool to have, Props will Always gets points for that.

3. The way I see it, Once you are done staring at your VST instrument, what you are left with is working with the DAW. The tools that the DAW provides you to work fast,smart...and even tools that you never thought of that you depend on today.
To name one thing, what Studio One's Mixer alone allows me to do, is simply a life saver and brilliant !!

But I will say this again like I e-mailed my brother and a good friend that we produced with and tweeted to Props "F*cking AMAZING !!! BRAVO PROPS!!!
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Ostermilk

28 Apr 2017

Dump? Wassat?

How much are you offering?

rexbrewer

28 Apr 2017

I have zero reason to use Ableton now. None.

ShawnG

28 Apr 2017

Other daw? I have six, lol

gak

29 Apr 2017

I hate to break you the bad news, but reaper does EVERYTHING reason does with stellar CPU optimization.

It's pointless to think that reason will replace anything. They need a ton of workflow polishing to even come close.

ShawnG

29 Apr 2017

great, reaper guys...

Reaper is extremely capable (as long as you have a nice collection of tools to use, since its bare bones, content wise) and extremely stable. and inexpensive. the devs seem really cool, they constantly update it, the community is large and generally helpful. its a solid DAW.

I hate it.

If someone came to me and said "Reaper is the only DAW left." I would quit being a musician and spend my time golfing or working on old cars or something. It's like Linux, It's brilliant if you want to spend all your time tweaking and modding it for your tastes, not so brilliant if you just like to boot up a daw that has a freaking identity and workflow and roll out some tunes. I demo reaper every time they have a major update, and uninstall in rage somewhere in the next 1-2 days. every. time.

and then there's the fan club. Reason has a well-deserved reputation for fanboyism, but that's nothing compared to being on a forum with Reaper users. contrary to the rules of fight club, the first rule of Reaper is to never, ever shut up about reaper. roll over to KVR and randomly pull up a thread about any other DAW, guarantee there's someone there telling everybody that that is all possible in Reaper if you just do the right undocumented mod/tweak/seance/ritual.

EnochLight

29 Apr 2017

ShawnG wrote:great, reaper guys...

Reaper is extremely capable (as long as you have a nice collection of tools to use, since its bare bones, content wise) and extremely stable. and inexpensive. the devs seem really cool, they constantly update it, the community is large and generally helpful. its a solid DAW.

I hate it.

If someone came to me and said "Reaper is the only DAW left." I would quit being a musician and spend my time golfing or working on old cars or something. It's like Linux, It's brilliant if you want to spend all your time tweaking and modding it for your tastes, not so brilliant if you just like to boot up a daw that has a freaking identity and workflow and roll out some tunes. I demo reaper every time they have a major update, and uninstall in rage somewhere in the next 1-2 days. every. time.

and then there's the fan club. Reason has a well-deserved reputation for fanboyism, but that's nothing compared to being on a forum with Reaper users. contrary to the rules of fight club, the first rule of Reaper is to never, ever shut up about reaper. roll over to KVR and randomly pull up a thread about any other DAW, guarantee there's someone there telling everybody that that is all possible in Reaper if you just do the right undocumented mod/tweak/seance/ritual.
This, x1000! This was one of the reasons why I dumped Reaper. Also, I found it completely uninspiring. I could never get anything done in it, and trying to accomplish things seemed like a brand new experience in having to watch a dozen videos or read a dozen forum posts. But yeah, that "community".. just... UGH.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

CephaloPod

29 Apr 2017

I will still use Logic X. Maybe.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

paulred67

29 Apr 2017

I've uninstalled Reaper and Ableton Live Lite already. However, I'll keep Studio One 3, mainly because of its mastering page (which was the reason I bought it).
Studio One 6, Melodyne 5 Studio, Nord Stage, Roland RD-88, VR-730, Jupiter-Xm, JD-08, Arturia V Collection X, Pigments 5, Korg Collection 3, East West Cloud, Sampletank 4, Miroslav Philharmonic 2, Syntronik, Sampletron, Hammond B-3X, Blue 3, Pianoteq.

EnochLight

29 Apr 2017

paulred67 wrote:I've uninstalled Reaper and Ableton Live Lite already. However, I'll keep Studio One 3, mainly because of its mastering page (which was the reason I bought it).
Right before I found out that Reason was getting VST, I started tooling around with S1's mastering page for the first time (after owning S1 for a little over a year). I was contemplating picking up a full version of iZotope's Ozone and shifting my mastering to S1, even though I'd been doing it in Reason since time began...

But now that Reason has VST, I'll probably just stay in Reason since I know the mixer so well and just use Ozone VST in Reason! ;)

I have to say, I may still keep Studio One laying around (but mostly because the license resale is pretty shitty right now LOL)!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

29 Apr 2017

EnochLight wrote:
paulred67 wrote:I've uninstalled Reaper and Ableton Live Lite already. However, I'll keep Studio One 3, mainly because of its mastering page (which was the reason I bought it).
Right before I found out that Reason was getting VST, I started tooling around with S1's mastering page for the first time (after owning S1 for a little over a year). I was contemplating picking up a full version of iZotope's Ozone and shifting my mastering to S1, even though I'd been doing it in Reason since time began...

But now that Reason has VST, I'll probably just stay in Reason since I know the mixer so well and just use Ozone VST in Reason! ;)

I have to say, I may still keep Studio One laying around (but mostly because the license resale is pretty shitty right now LOL)!
Shoot if you pickup Ozone, you could technically just switch your mastering work to Ozone. And like you said, you'll be able to use the VSTs in Reason.

EnochLight

29 Apr 2017

joeyluck wrote:Shoot if you pickup Ozone, you could technically just switch your mastering work to Ozone. And like you said, you'll be able to use the VSTs in Reason.
True, that's also a possibility. But... If I pick up the complete suite though, each module is available as a separate device in Reason. That makes my already familiar methods in Reason a lot easier.

But... shifting outside to Ozone would also stop me from constantly wanting to go back and tweak the mix - LOL!!! Could be helpful. ;)

Anyway, I digress...

• Information