Reason 9.5 – VST in Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
22ndCenturyStudio

29 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
22ndCenturyStudio wrote:Hmm...after I extracted the Zip folder,I could not find the installer.Both my Reason 8 & 9 versions are in my Downloads folder,but not Reason 9.5.What did I do wrong?Did I overlook something?
Are talking about the 9.5 update or VST's? If you're talking about the 9.5 update, then you must have downloaded it to a different folder by accident. What did you use to download it? A download manager? A web browser?

If you just launch Reason 9.x, you can also download it from within Reason (though your speeds may or may not suck right now).

*EDIT - I just noticed you said "extract". My bad - were you using WinRar or WinZip to extract the file? If so, are you sure you extracted it to the folder in question? If not, extract it again and pay attention to where you're extracting it. Also, refresh your window (F5 on Windows or right-click => Refresh) to make sure your OS isn't having issues drawing it on screen.
Wow...I just realized what a hideous mistake I made,in downloading 9.5(without having done it,within an instance of Reason.)Originally, had gone to the website and downloaded the full version.Then later,when I opened up my Reason 9,I simply hit the download button at the top of the screen and presto,I was ready to go....amazing!!

My profound thanks to EnochLight and the Props guys!Propellerhead did a wonderful job with 9.5!! Only problem is now,I need to upgrade to a properly powered PC to handle the load of 9.5..Such a computer upgrade,has been long overdue anyway...

EnochLight

29 May 2017

22ndCenturyStudio wrote:Wow...I just realized what a hideous mistake I made,in downloading 9.5(without having done it,within an instance of Reason.)Originally, had gone to the website and downloaded the full version.Then later,when I opened up my Reason 9,I simply hit the download button at the top of the screen and presto,I was ready to go....amazing!!

My profound thanks to EnochLight and the Props guys!Propellerhead did a wonderful job with 9.5!! Only problem is now,I need to upgrade to a properly powered PC to handle the load of 9.5..Such a computer upgrade,has been long overdue anyway...
No worries - glad to see you got things sorted!

Enjoy
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Jmax

29 May 2017

Anyone know if we'll be able to use the patch browser function with VST's? The one that houses the VST rack. I noticed the patch name shows up, but clicking on the down or up arrow doesn't do anything yet.
Still having to open the VST and change it there.

Doesn't really matter but it would be a cool feature in time, to browse from the VST Rack without having to open the VST window.

QVprod

29 May 2017

Jmax wrote:Anyone know if we'll be able to use the patch browser function with VST's? The one that houses the VST rack. I noticed the patch name shows up, but clicking on the down or up arrow doesn't do anything yet.

Doesn't really matter but it would be a cool feature in time, to browse from the VST Rack without having to open the VST window.
Most plugins require you to open from the vst window first. That's how the browser knows where to look for the presets.

Jmax

29 May 2017

QVprod wrote:
Jmax wrote:Anyone know if we'll be able to use the patch browser function with VST's? The one that houses the VST rack. I noticed the patch name shows up, but clicking on the down or up arrow doesn't do anything yet.

Most plugins require you to open from the vst window first. That's how the browser knows where to look for the presets.
Not the file browser on the left but just inside the Rack view.. Once the VST is open it would be nice to just like click up the up or down arrow, I haven't checked if it works with the VST open but I don't think so. Would be a nice feature.

raymondh

29 May 2017

There seems to be a variety of behaviours of the Rack device patch browser for VSTs.

For some VSTs - when you change the patch on the VST's own browser, sometimes it updates the displayed patchname on the Rack device, for other VSTs it doesn't update (leaves the text as Init Patch)

For Reaktor 5, it creates a 2ndary gadget on the right hand of the text field of the Rack Device patch name, where you can use the up arrow and down arrow to scroll through patches.

I haven't been to use rack device patch browser to open any fxp/fxb factory sounds.

But when I have a patch in the VST instrument, I can save the patch from the rack device. And I can then open the patch I saved.

So the workflow I'm now using for a VST instrument, is to save my favourite patches using the rack device, and then I can use the rack device browser to retrieve those patches. If I want to scroll through the hundreds of other patches, I'll use the patch browser in the VST instrument's UI.

EnochLight

30 May 2017

Discussed this a bit more in detail in this thread:

viewtopic.php?p=334107#p334107
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

QVprod

30 May 2017

Jmax wrote:
QVprod wrote:

Not the file browser on the left but just inside the Rack view.. Once the VST is open it would be nice to just like click up the up or down arrow, I haven't checked if it works with the VST open but I don't think so. Would be a nice feature.
We're talking about the same thing. The patch browser. You have to open the plugin window first.

EnochLight

30 May 2017

Fore reference on the VST patch browsing being discussed, here's what I said in that thread linked to above:
Right, so - with some VST that have proprietary browsers+patch formats, Reason is able to parse a limited selection that's loaded into RAM and allow limited access via its own patch browser display. Camel is one that I know of; all of Sonic Charge's plugins also do this. With these VST, you'll get a secondary browser that is accessible on the right of Reason's patch display. Note: this browser will only load whatever the VST loads into RAM (for Sonic Charge, it's a max of 16 patches). If you click on the actual text name, you'll be able to see those patches loaded into RAM and quick-select them, or use the arrows on the far right of the "LCD" to advance up and down.

You'll need to open the VST editor window and use the VST's browser to see the full directory of patches, though.

In this example, Sonic Charge Echobode only loads 16 patches into RAM, even though it's proprietary browser shows hundreds available.

VIVIsect

30 May 2017

Is anyone else having issues with being able to use the mouse scroll wheel in VST preset browsers? In some VSTs (u-he plugins, for example) it doesn't work at all. In others (such as Omnisphere) it only sorta works. You have to spin the wheel like five times to scroll through a couple of presets. Really annoying. It works fine everywhere else in Reason. Hope they get it sorted out.

EnochLight

30 May 2017

VIVIsect wrote:Is anyone else having issues with being able to use the mouse scroll wheel in VST preset browsers? In some VSTs (u-he plugins, for example) it doesn't work at all. In others (such as Omnisphere) it only sorta works. You have to spin the wheel like five times to scroll through a couple of presets. Really annoying. It works fine everywhere else in Reason. Hope they get it sorted out.
You might try enabling "VST Windows Get Keyboard Focus" under the Options menu in Reason. Not sure if that will help, as I can't test at work right now.

VIVIsect

30 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
VIVIsect wrote:Is anyone else having issues with being able to use the mouse scroll wheel in VST preset browsers? In some VSTs (u-he plugins, for example) it doesn't work at all. In others (such as Omnisphere) it only sorta works. You have to spin the wheel like five times to scroll through a couple of presets. Really annoying. It works fine everywhere else in Reason. Hope they get it sorted out.
You might try enabling "VST Windows Get Keyboard Focus" under the Options menu in Reason. Not sure if that will help, as I can't test at work right now.
That appears to have done the trick! Thanks a lot. That was driving me crazy!

So far, that's the only issue I've experienced with using VSTs. Really enjoying using Reason again after so many years!

EnochLight

30 May 2017

VIVIsect wrote:That appears to have done the trick! Thanks a lot. That was driving me crazy!

So far, that's the only issue I've experienced with using VSTs. Really enjoying using Reason again after so many years!
That's great to hear! On a side note: are you a Skinny Puppy fan? Just asking because of the screen name.

Oquasec

30 May 2017

Since They gave vsts an exclusive module, more than happy to dust off them plugs.
But, Ima spend some time readin manuals because I like knowing what I'm doing before doing it when it comes to using the software and have grown tired of just finding stuff out as I go :]
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

VIVIsect

30 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:On a side note: are you a Skinny Puppy fan? Just asking because of the screen name.
I am indeed! Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse is probably my all-time favorite album. :) :thumbs_up:

EnochLight

30 May 2017

VIVIsect wrote:
EnochLight wrote:On a side note: are you a Skinny Puppy fan? Just asking because of the screen name.
I am indeed! Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse is probably my all-time favorite album. :) :thumbs_up:
Hah! Brilliant - mine as well. It was actually the first SP album I bought, even though I had heard tracks from Remission prior. I remember the first time listening to M: TPI, and I literally didn't even hear Ogre's voice. It took me a few listenings to start hearing the lyrics, etc. Simply brilliant production - completely ahead of its time. The Chainsaw 12" was also my fav (the remixes of The Choke and Assimilate were the best, IMHO, and the fact that Richard 23 of Front 242 and Tom Ellard of Severed Heads worked with them was freak'n awesome).

But, I digress. Good to see another SP fan around here! Cevin Key's productions were a major influence in my love of electronic music production.

AttenuationHz

31 May 2017

Just upgraded to 95.

Why the actual fook do you have to click on the automate button and then a control to automate a VST parameter?

I have always used ALT click to automate as probably many of us here do. It is a complete workflow slowdown having to click on the automate button and then the parameter.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Oquasec

31 May 2017

alt clicking works on vsts (wtf)
Producer/Programmer.

AttenuationHz

31 May 2017

Oquasec wrote:alt clicking works on vsts (wtf)
Alt clicking to automate a parameter on the VST and for it to show in the sequencer does not work and if it does how are you getting it to work?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

EnochLight

31 May 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
Alt clicking to automate a parameter on the VST and for it to show in the sequencer does not work and if it does how are you getting it to work?
No, Alt-clicking a VST doesn't work - not sure what Oquasec is going on about. Alternatively, you can just start recording and move the knob or slider or whatever on the VST editor window and the automation will be recorded (and of course, you can assign the same knob/slider/whatever to a hardware controller via the Remote icon and record it that way).

VST implementation in Reason is pretty awesome, but there are some limitations in this "1.0" offering.

Oquasec

31 May 2017

AHHH they changed it from the beta version. wack.
Producer/Programmer.

AttenuationHz

31 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:
No, Alt-clicking a VST doesn't work - not sure what Oquasec is going on about. Alternatively, you can just start recording and move the knob or slider or whatever on the VST editor window and the automation will be recorded (and of course, you can assign the same knob/slider/whatever to a hardware controller via the Remote icon and record it that way).

VST implementation in Reason is pretty awesome, but there are some limitations in this "1.0" offering.
Completely disagree with the way it has been implemented. Its just note how I automate. When I'm laying something down I would quickly do a rough draft and later do overdubs if its needed!

I know some plug-ins use alt to reset a parameter. I mean why can't alt be the shortcut to physically clicking the automate button just makes no sense that probs would leave such a vital workflow shortcut out when the rest of reason has alt click to automate. CTRL click resets parameters why on earth would they not have ctrl globally resetting a parameter if it is the case of conflicting keybinds and how is it in release. Rushed!

EnochLight

31 May 2017

Oquasec wrote:AHHH they changed it from the beta version. wack.
I was part of the beta, and Alt-clicking VST parameters in the editor window never worked. I think you might be mistaken.

EnochLight

31 May 2017

AttenuationHz wrote: Completely disagree with the way it has been implemented. Its just note how I automate. When I'm laying something down I would quickly do a rough draft and later do overdubs if its needed!
As I said...
EnochLight wrote:VST implementation in Reason is pretty awesome, but there are some limitations in this "1.0" offering.
AttenuationHz wrote:I know some plug-ins use alt to reset a parameter. I mean why can't alt be the shortcut to physically clicking the automate button just makes no sense that probs would leave such a vital workflow shortcut out when the rest of reason has alt click to automate. CTRL click resets parameters why on earth would they not have ctrl globally resetting a parameter if it is the case of conflicting keybinds and how is it in release. Rushed!
I don't feel like it's been rushed (it was in alpha and beta long before it went into public beta). There may be some technical limitations in this initial release, though. If not being able to Alt-click a VST editor window parameter is really that bad of a killer feature for you, though - I'd email Props and let them know. Maybe they'll consider working around the technical challenge or just plain add the feature at some point...

AttenuationHz

31 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
As I said...
Easy there tiger

• Information